Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Response to ageing stars in Bollywood & South (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 7

Page 1
Page   of 7
Page 3 Page 7

atominis

IF-Rockerz

atominis

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 1:52pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sanju01

Even though people call 40+ actors buddhas but still they get lead roles opposite young actresses.These actors themselves don't care if people talk about their ages because they are getting lead roles in movies and that's enough for them.They are still in demand.
I really have no idea about south actors.Yes,fans worship the stars like Gods down south.Just today i saw a photo of a man climbing Kamal Hassan's movie hoarding and pouring milk on his poster.LOLMajority people in south treat actors and actresses like Gods that's why they don't say anythiing against them because they might be thinking it's a sin.LOLInstead they feel happy seeing their 'Gods' onscreen.
But do the south actors have as much demand from producers and directors as their counterparts in bollywood?Can someone tell me how many movies Kamal,Rajnikanth,Venkatesh,Nagarjuna,etc.are doing every year?

Agree about Gods and sin theory! I am not much aware about it but the old actors are fairly in demand and likes of Rajini and Kamal seem to dictate their own terms even at this age. If I am not mistaken any filmmaker worth his salt would give his right arm to work with the senior "gods" provided he can afford their astronomical price!

Can anyone from the South and having more knowledge enlighten us on this topic please?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Response to ageing stars in Bollywood & South (Page 2)" in Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

blue-ice

IF-Stunnerz

blue-ice

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 2:37pm | IP Logged
Perhaps...people in the south have a better vocabulary...and know what acting means...that is to potray something that you are not...and thats why they accept the ACTING of the 60 years old...where as we Bollywoodians...want them to play their age...What the heck happened with the ACTING then??

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 2:39pm | IP Logged

Age isn't as big of a concern to me. But I think playing age appropriate roles is important.

I've not seen Nishabd, it maybe cringeworthy but such things happen. Even in American Beauty Kevin Spacey's character falls for his teenage daughter's friend. Amitabh played an age appropriate role. I like Cheeni Kum too. It was a cute love story between an age disparate couple.

As much as I love them and their movies, what does make me cringe is the Khans constantly playing young college going or twenty something heroes. I think our Bollywood stars need to take a leaf out of people like Meryl Streep, Helen Mirren, Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman etc and play more age appropriate roles. It doesn't matter if its romance or comedy or age disparate or abusive relationships what matter is the actor fits the age of the role and portrays characters convincingly.

atominis

IF-Rockerz

atominis

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 2:52pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by blue-ice

Perhaps...people in the south have a better vocabulary...and know what acting means...that is to potray something that you are not...and thats why they accept the ACTING of the 60 years old...where as we Bollywoodians...want them to play their age...What the heck happened with the ACTING then??

You think accepting a 60 year old man as a totally young, virgin, unmarried hero (like any conventional hero in Indian films) is acceptance or awareness of ACTING?

I don't mean to be judgemental towards others, but personally, I found it hard to digest Rajinikanth as a "young" professional on lookout for a suitable match for himself in Sivaji.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

FullyFaltoo.bambogli

blue-ice

IF-Stunnerz

blue-ice

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 3:05pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Skepblun

Originally posted by blue-ice

You think accepting a 60 year old man as a totally young, virgin, unmarried hero (like any conventional hero in Indian films) is acceptance or awareness of ACTING?

I don't mean to be judgemental towards others, but personally, I found it hard to digest Rajinikanth as a "young" professional on lookout for a suitable match for himself in Sivaji.

Listen...i don't care what an actor's age is if he is playing the role convincingly...Who cares if Aamir was 45 when he played a 20 year old in 3 Is...He looked like a student to me...Now why should I be worried that he is 45?...I am the audience ...i pay money for entertainment...Why should I care how old the actor is...who cares if he is 60 but if he looks 30 on screen...and is playing a 30 year old its fine with me...what is the audience supposed to be ...some kind of moral police...are the movies real?...Its a movie...No one is going to marry him...He is not giving dokha to anyone...I can't say abt rajnikant...I hardly watch any of his movies...but if the audience likes him...what is everyone's problem...I don't know...Its not REAL...its REEL...

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Christina_Yang

atominis

IF-Rockerz

atominis

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 3:15pm | IP Logged
@blue-ice

No need to get so hyper.

I made this topic to discuss how come one set of audience is perfectly okay whereas another set is not.

Aamir example is only because he was 45. I was discussing acceptance in wider spectrum (50+ and even 60+).

I'm more into causes of this difference in response out of curiosity than expressing or denying support to actors playing roles according to/not according to their age.

Someone down South would accept their icon playing same conventional hero even at 60+. Whereas Bollywood audience won't accept a 60+ Amitabh playing warrior or hero like he used to in 70s and 80s. Why such difference in level of acceptance exists is what I look to discuss.

Just as returntohades has opined that roles need to be a tad more age appropriate. I am curious why the same doesn't strike to consumers of movies down South. Or why does it particularly bother us more.

Your opinion whether you like actors irrespective of age is your personal choice.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 3:17pm | IP Logged
@Blue Ice

Non connoisseurs will lap up cooking sherry like its fine vintage Chardonnay.  If you want to pay for cheap table wine in fine wine packaging, power to you.Tongue

Edited by return_to_hades - 30 January 2013 at 3:13pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

bambogli

blue-ice

IF-Stunnerz

blue-ice

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 3:17pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Skepblun

@blue-ice

No need to get so hyper.

I made this topic to discuss how come one set of audience is perfectly okay whereas another set is not.

Aamir example is only because he was 45. I was discussing acceptance in wider spectrum (50+ and even 60+).

I'm more into causes of this difference in response out of curiosity than expressing or denying support to actors playing roles according to/not according to their age.

Someone down South would accept their icon playing same conventional hero even at 60+. Whereas Bollywood audience won't accept a 60+ Amitabh playing warrior or hero like he used to in 70s and 80s. Why such difference in level of acceptance exists is what I look to discuss.

Just as returntohades has opined that roles need to be a tad more age appropriate. I am curious why the same doesn't strike to consumers of movies down South. Or why does it particularly bother us more.

Your opinion whether you like actors irrespective of age is your personal choice.

You are finding me hyper...why???

Post Reply New Post

Go to top