Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Kamal Haasan threatens to leave country (Page 24)

Post Reply New Post

Page 24 of 26

Painted_Lady

IF-Dazzler

Painted_Lady

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 1:33am | IP Logged
Originally posted by shamil

Originally posted by Painted_Lady

Anybody saw the movie? How is it? Iam quite disappointed with his last movie Dashavataram. It seemed more like a fancy dress competition to me. Nevertheless he is one of the finest actors India has ever seen. And  here in this issue he has all rights to complain and grab attention. When you dedicate your mind and money to what you do you have all rights to get concerned about its acceptance. But as somebody pointed out it seems more of an egoistic political issue than religious sensitivity. Here in India unfortunately people especially politicians sometimes use religion as a cover to protect other deeds as they very well know how sensitive and touchy it can get. Its a sad,sad affair.Ouch
heard storywise there isnt much to take home emotionally. but more of a techno show. afterall he spent more than 90 crores on it

Oh ok. But its released in Kerala right? I saw your post on it. Didnt watch the news. But kerala government would really support Kama Haasan I guess. Especially when they know it can irk Jaya aunty!LOL

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

shamil

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Kamal Haasan threatens to leave country (Page 24)" in Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

wat_up

IF-Stunnerz

wat_up

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 5:04am | IP Logged
Vishwaroopam ban: nothing personal against Kamal Hassan, says Jayalalithaa
IANS
Chennai, January 31, 2013
First Published: 13:47 IST(31/1/2013)
Last Updated: 14:15 IST(31/1/2013)
share share on facebookshare on linkedinshare on googleshare on emailmore.
34 Comments     
 email  print
Chief minister J Jayalalithaa said on Thursday that Kamal Haasan's movie "Vishwaroopam" was banned in Tamil Nadu due to fears of violent protests and not because she had a grudge against the actor. The chief minister also announced that she would file cases against DMK chief M Karunanidhi 
and sections of the media that she said had maligned her on the issue.

Jayalalithaa said it would have been near impossible to provide security to all the 524 cinema theatres in Tamil Nadu where the multilingual film was to be released after Muslim groups announced a string of protests.

"I have no personal grudge, no personal interest in banning the movie," she told the media.

She said her government decided to ban it for 15 days so that tempers could cool down and "both sides could have a discussion and come to an agreement".

She pointed out that the movie had also been banned in neighbouring states as well as Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Sri Lanka, Malaysia and Singapore. "Was I responsible for all that?"

The chief minister said some Muslim leaders had now told her that they were ready to accept the movie after Kamal Haasan had agreed to delete some portions they found objectionable on religious grounds.

"If the leaders of Muslim organisations and Kamal Haasan can sit together and work out an amicable agreement, the government will do everything possible to facilitate that ... and the deck will be cleared for screening the movie.

"There is no question of curbing the freedom of speech."

Franco

wat_up

IF-Stunnerz

wat_up

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 5:11am | IP Logged
Kamal Hassan won't appeal Vishwaroopam ban in SC
Agencies
Chennai, January 31, 2013
First Published: 11:16 IST(31/1/2013)
Last Updated: 11:23 IST(31/1/2013)
share share on facebookshare on linkedinshare on googleshare on emailmore.
69 Comments     
 email  print
Actor Kamal Hassan announced in Chennai on Thursday he will not approach the Supreme Court against the Tamil Nadu government's ban on his movie Vishwaroopam, news TV channels are reporting.

"I will not approach the Supreme Court as talks are still underway (with the Tamil Nadu government," he was quoted by TV channels as saying. According to a NDTV report, "influential" figures in the Tamil film fraternity are intervening on his behalf with the state government.

The lavishly mounted film, which stars Haasan and is written, produced and directed by him, was banned by the Tamil Nadu government after some Muslim groups complained that it portrayed the community in poor light. The film was to release January 25 in Tamil Nadu but saw the light of the day only in a few places in Kerala, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh.

On Wednesday, the Madras High Court overturned Tuesday's single bench ruling revoking the ban on "Vishwaroopam", which revolves around the story of an al Qaeda plot in the US and an Indian couple.

An emotional Hassan on Wednesday threatened to quit India if the ban in Tamil Nadu on his controversial film "Vishwaroopam" wasn't lifted but the Madras High Court reimposed the ban. The actor was likely to challenge the fresh ban in the Supreme Court, sources said.

As controversy swirled over the Rs. 95 crore multilingual espionage thriller, the acclaimed actor said he had agreed to make cuts in the movie that some Muslim groups found objectionable.

Kamal, 58 and one of southern cinema's most successful stars, said if the ban on his Tamil-Telugu film was not lifted, he might have to look out for a "secular state" abroad.

Saying he was fed up with the opposition to the movie, Kamal said in Chennai, "If there is no secular state in India, I would go overseas. I think Tamil Nadu wants me out."

"MF Husain had to do it and now Haasan will have to do it. It's fine. What would change is my passport. I would still be an Indian."

"I have pledged all my property for the film. I have lost my house because of delay in (its) release," he said.

He said he had invested his lifetime's savings, including all his assets, on the film that has also been dubbed in Hindi and which has been released in the US and Canada.

Soon afterwards, he met Muslim leaders in Chennai and announced he was ready to make cuts said to be maligning India's largest religious minority.

"There is no (more) difference between me and my Muslim brothers. It is our duty to take care of them. There are four scenes that are being pointed out and I am willing to remove these scenes from the movie," he said.

wat_up

IF-Stunnerz

wat_up

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 5:15am | IP Logged
ChennaiThe support for Kamal Haasan spiked today with prominent film stars and directors in Chennai and Bollywood rallying around the actor-director whose film Vishwaroopam has been banned for two-weeks by the Tamil Nadu government.

Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa denounced suggestions that the ban amounts to a violation of free speech, and said it was required to maintain law and order because leaders of some Muslim groups had objected to the portrayal of the community in the 95-crore spy thriller. 
(Jayalalithaa alleges 'hysteria, wild charges' over Vishwaroopam ban) 

Kamal Haasan disclosed at a press conference yesterday that the ban on the film has hurtled him into borderline bankruptcy. He said he has hocked his house and other properties to a money-lender.  Fans responded by gathering at his office this morning with cheques and demand drafts, a sign of their loyalty to their icon. Among them was popular Southern actor Surya.

Actors and directors, in a flurry of tweets, pointed out that the government has no right to intervene after the national censor board has cleared a movie.  "A zone of shame for a sham of a political scenario...Kamal Haasan needs not only our support but fraternity proactivity...like NOW!!!," said director Karan Johar.  Bollywood superstar Salman Khan tweeted this diktat to his fans: "go stand outside the cinema hall and insist on seeing the film. It's a movie, entertainment. What law and order problem on a movie?" (Support Kamal Haasan and his film, Salman tells fans)

Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari, also on Twitter, said that this morning, that it's time to "revisit" the Cinematograph Act to ensure that the decisions of the Censor Board are implemented. Last night, he told NDTV that state governments cannot over-rule the Censor Board, which is created by an act of Parliament.

Franco

IF-Rockerz

Franco

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 6:04am | IP Logged
This is getting to Dramabaazi for meLOL

Painted_Lady

IF-Dazzler

Painted_Lady

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 6:30am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Maroonporsche

This is getting to Dramabaazi for meLOL

There is no drama here. Its a very sad situation for Kamal. He has invested a lot of money on it and now he is on the verge of losing own house. Its a different story if the flim flops and he loses the money. But here his film is banned because of silly reasons. Iam a muslim and I have talked to couple of muslim friends of mine who have seen the movie. They said there is nothing offensive in it.

He is getting a lot of support from his fans and other actors because of who he is,a very well respected actor and undoubtedly one of the best in India. And the whole issue seems like something else rather than the religious feelings. His voice should be heard and this ridiculousness should stop.

Yankees

IF-Rockerz

Yankees

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 9:21am | IP Logged

Jayalalitha Makes Perfect Sense

Indian politicians are like Indian movies.

Both rarely ever make any sense.

But for once, we were witness to a politician who articulated a cogent response to an issue agitating millions of movie fans, not merely in Tamil Nadu, but across the world ' the ban of Kamal Haasan's Vishwaroopam.

Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J.Jayalalitha has strongly, and effectively, rebutted the charges that held her responsible for Kamal Haasan's problems in getting his film Vishwaroopam released.

Above all, I liked Jayalalitha's remark that she has stopped watching films.

A sensible lady.

Who can watch the shit expelled by the Tamil film industry week after week! (In fairness, I must add that Jaya did not specify Tamil films but merely said 'films' in her press conference.)

I strongly recommend readers view the full press conference hosted by Jayalalitha in Chennai today:

Bigger Tragedy

Assuming all that Jayalalitha said above is accurate, the blame for the ban must fall on some sections of the Muslim community.

The Muslim population in Tamil Nadu is 3.49 million, representing 5.6% of the state's population of 62.41 million.

Now let's assume, for argument's sake, that the various Muslim groups protesting the release of Vishwaroopam represent about 50% of the Muslims in the state. After all, there could be many Muslims in Tamil Nadu who don't give a damn about Vishwaroopam or any other Kollywood Roopam.

This means that 1.7 million Muslims in Tamil Nadu are dictating what the remaining 60.7 million will watch.

Is this what democracy in a supposedly secular nation has turned out to be ' A tiny minority holding hostage the vast majority on the altar of violence (or law and order, to use the Indian euphemism).

No wonder we call our nation Incredible India!

Incredible, for all the wrong reasons.

http://www.searchindia.com/2013/01/31/jayalalitha-makes-perfect-sense/

*shakes my head*

Rehanism

Yankees

IF-Rockerz

Yankees

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 9:27am | IP Logged
Those claiming how the negative portrayal of Muslims in the film will increase Muslim stereotypes/prejudice should understand, the ban and the whole hullabaloo created isn't going to help their case either. I think this will just create more enmity between the cinema-going fans and these Muslim organizations. 

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

BarfiiRehanism

Post Reply New Post

Go to top