Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat
Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

Kamal Haasan threatens to leave country (Page 19)

chocolover89 IF-Sizzlerz
chocolover89
chocolover89

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 9:23pm | IP Logged

Vishwaroopam ban: Kamal Haasan's plea in Supreme Court today

Edited by Surabhi Malik | Updated: January 31, 2013 09:04 IST

Tweet
submit to reddit

Vishwaroopam ban: Kamal Haasan's plea in Supreme Court today

ChennaiActor Kamal Haasan will take his battle over the two-week ban on his big-budget film Vishwaroopam to the Supreme Court today. The ban was ordered by the Tamil Nadu government last week after Muslim groups said the movie's depiction of the community was offensive. Yesterday, the Madras High Court upheld that ban. The actors lawyers are likely to urge the Supreme Court today to take the case at the earliest.

After failing to get the ban on his film rescinded by the High Court, the actor appeared on the terrace of his office and told hundreds of fans gathered there to stay calm. "I am struggling for justice," he said, "don't give in to anger." (Watch: Am an artiste, am fed up, says Kamal Haasan)

Minutes before he lost his case in the court, Kamal Haasan said he had agreed to drop contentious scenes and words. "My Muslim family has reached out to me... we have settled amicably," he said.

The film was initially slated to release on January 25 but was banned for two-weeks by state government on January 23, forcing the actor to move the High Court. The High Court's ruling means it cannot release in the state till Wednesday, February 6.

At a press conference on Wednesday morning, Kamal Haasan suggested that the battle over Vishwaroopam is a crucible of India's secularism, and threatened to leave Tamil Nadu if the ban on the movie was not lifted. "If there is no secular state in India, I would go overseas," he said. The actor is likely to leave for Mumbai today; the Hindi version of his film is scheduled to release on Friday.

While his decision to re-edit the film a few hours later was a sharp deviation from that stand, those close to the superstar point out that the overwhelming financial pressure of a large-budget film may have forced the compromise. Kamal Haasan shared that his house and other properties have been pledged to a money-lender. His brother, Chandra, has said the movie has lost between 30 and 60 crores because it has not screened as scheduled in Tamil Nadu.(Timeline: How Kamal Haasan fought 'cultural terrorism') 

Sources say that Kamal Haasan's supporters believe that the ban, so ardently advocated by the government, is not unhinged from politics. By backing Muslim protests, the ruling AIADMK is showing its support for a votebank traditionally loyal to its rival DMK. And the television rights for Vishwaroopam were granted eventually to Vijay TV and not Jaya TV, the mouthpiece of ruling AIADMK.
chocolover89 IF-Sizzlerz
chocolover89
chocolover89

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 9:49pm | IP Logged
This is going around on twitter, if true..it's really sweet of Rajnikant!

"I will act in Kamal Haasan's direction for free, to repay any losses which may occur to him." - Superstar Rajinikanth

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Francoblue-ice-x-Reshu-x-

pathaka IF-Dazzler
pathaka
pathaka

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 9:52pm | IP Logged
rajini n kamal are buds...so it might be true...dunno..

this whole thing is so stupid...its just a film...and some of my muslim friends saw it and said there was nothing wrong with it and tht they werent offended...

hope hes able to recover those losses...

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

blue-ice-x-Reshu-x-

blue-ice IF-Stunnerz
blue-ice
blue-ice

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 9:58pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by chocolover89

This is going around on twitter, if true..it's really sweet of Rajnikant!

"I will act in Kamal Haasan's direction for free, to repay any losses which may occur to him." - Superstar Rajinikanth

Thats very nice of Rajnikant...I have heard that Rajnikant is a very kind hearted man...and I am sure if there is need many more people will come forward to help KH...but the point is how will a man of KH's stature feel taking all that charity from people...Really my heart goes out to himDisapprove...why do people have to make a mountain out of a molehillOuch...Hope everything goes well for him...Good people don't deserve all this shit...

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

hasini009Franco

chocolover89 IF-Sizzlerz
chocolover89
chocolover89

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 10:02pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by pathaka

rajini n kamal are buds...so it might be true...dunno..

this whole thing is so stupid...its just a film...and some of my muslim friends saw it and said there was nothing wrong with it and tht they werent offended...

hope hes able to recover those losses...

Exactlyy! It's a just a film and I've heard the same from the folks who've seen it. Nothing against Muslims in it.

I hate this idea of "banning something just because it offends a few." Seriously, if it offends you, don't watch it/ read it, whatever but don't decide FOR OTHERS as well.

I hears he put all his property and money into this film and he's already lost 30-60 crores from the delays..he was talking about being bankrupt too. This is just horrible and sad. It's one thing to go bankrupt because the film doesn't do well, and another to go bankrupt because idiots won't let your film release just for the heck of it...and the government is too busy appeasing for vote banks rather than telling such idiots to STFU and get lost. Sleepy

Edited by chocolover89 - 30 January 2013 at 9:58pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Francoblue-ice-x-Reshu-x-

Franco IF-Sizzlerz
Franco
Franco

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 10:02pm | IP Logged
Wait did I miss something in all my foolishness why would KH go completely broke ? Star
pathaka IF-Dazzler
pathaka
pathaka

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 10:06pm | IP Logged
^^...all his property is mortgaged for the film...hes suffering heaps of losses now not because ppl arent watching the film, but because ppl arent "allowed" to watch the film...he even lost his house i think...

more than that, it also breaches human rights...wht abt the rights of the ppl in TN who WANT to watch the film...? why should they be disadvantaged?

every film should be allowed to release...ppl can decide for themselves if its offensive or not...
chocolover89 IF-Sizzlerz
chocolover89
chocolover89

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 10:07pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Maroonporsche

Wait did I miss something in all my foolishness why would KH go completely broke ? Star

Well I dunno about completely broke, but apparently he borrowed money for the film and gave his house as collateral...

Go to top