Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shamil thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Originally posted by: Painted_Lady

Anybody saw the movie? How is it? Iam quite disappointed with his last movie Dashavataram. It seemed more like a fancy dress competition to me. Nevertheless he is one of the finest actors India has ever seen. And  here in this issue he has all rights to complain and grab attention. When you dedicate your mind and money to what you do you have all rights to get concerned about its acceptance. But as somebody pointed out it seems more of an egoistic political issue than religious sensitivity. Here in India unfortunately people especially politicians sometimes use religion as a cover to protect other deeds as they very well know how sensitive and touchy it can get. Its a sad,sad affair.

heard storywise there isnt much to take home emotionally. but more of a techno show. afterall he spent more than 90 crores on it
anku- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: shamil

ankuu๐Ÿค—
ofocurse I remember u๐Ÿ˜ƒ
@bold- that she is.

:D ๐Ÿค—

People talk about how women power is ruling India but jeez, what kind of women are these *-* Can they eff off and let the better women take over? Poor Kamal has just 1 day left. I feel so bad for the guy.
Painted_Lady thumbnail
Originally posted by: shamil

heard storywise there isnt much to take home emotionally. but more of a techno show. afterall he spent more than 90 crores on it

Oh ok. But its released in Kerala right? I saw your post on it. Didnt watch the news. But kerala government would really support Kama Haasan I guess. Especially when they know it can irk Jaya aunty!๐Ÿ˜†
wat_up thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Content Removed

print

wat_up thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
ChennaiThe support for Kamal Haasan spiked today with prominent film stars and directors in Chennai and Bollywood rallying around the actor-director whose film Vishwaroopam has been banned for two-weeks by the Tamil Nadu government.

Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa denounced suggestions that the ban amounts to a violation of free speech, and said it was required to maintain law and order because leaders of some Muslim groups had objected to the portrayal of the community in the 95-crore spy thriller. 
(Jayalalithaa alleges 'hysteria, wild charges' over Vishwaroopam ban) 

Kamal Haasan disclosed at a press conference yesterday that the ban on the film has hurtled him into borderline bankruptcy. He said he has hocked his house and other properties to a money-lender.  Fans responded by gathering at his office this morning with cheques and demand drafts, a sign of their loyalty to their icon. Among them was popular Southern actor Surya.

Actors and directors, in a flurry of tweets, pointed out that the government has no right to intervene after the national censor board has cleared a movie.  "A zone of shame for a sham of a political scenario...Kamal Haasan needs not only our support but fraternity proactivity...like NOW!!!," said director Karan Johar.  Bollywood superstar Salman Khan tweeted this diktat to his fans: "go stand outside the cinema hall and insist on seeing the film. It's a movie, entertainment. What law and order problem on a movie?" (Support Kamal Haasan and his film, Salman tells fans)

Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari, also on Twitter, said that this morning, that it's time to "revisit" the Cinematograph Act to ensure that the decisions of the Censor Board are implemented. Last night, he told NDTV that state governments cannot over-rule the Censor Board, which is created by an act of Parliament.
This is getting to Dramabaazi for me๐Ÿ˜†
Painted_Lady thumbnail
Originally posted by: Maroonporsche

This is getting to Dramabaazi for me๐Ÿ˜†

There is no drama here. Its a very sad situation for Kamal. He has invested a lot of money on it and now he is on the verge of losing own house. Its a different story if the flim flops and he loses the money. But here his film is banned because of silly reasons. Iam a muslim and I have talked to couple of muslim friends of mine who have seen the movie. They said there is nothing offensive in it.

He is getting a lot of support from his fans and other actors because of who he is,a very well respected actor and undoubtedly one of the best in India. And the whole issue seems like something else rather than the religious feelings. His voice should be heard and this ridiculousness should stop.
Yankees thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Jayalalitha Makes Perfect Sense

Indian politicians are like Indian movies.

Both rarely ever make any sense.

But for once, we were witness to a politician who articulated a cogent response to an issue agitating millions of movie fans, not merely in Tamil Nadu, but across the world ' the ban of Kamal Haasan's Vishwaroopam.

Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J.Jayalalitha has strongly, and effectively, rebutted the charges that held her responsible for Kamal Haasan's problems in getting his film Vishwaroopam released.

Above all, I liked Jayalalitha's remark that she has stopped watching films.

A sensible lady.

Who can watch the shit expelled by the Tamil film industry week after week! (In fairness, I must add that Jaya did not specify Tamil films but merely said 'films' in her press conference.)

I strongly recommend readers view the full press conference hosted by Jayalalitha in Chennai today:

Bigger Tragedy

Assuming all that Jayalalitha said above is accurate, the blame for the ban must fall on some sections of the Muslim community.

The Muslim population in Tamil Nadu is 3.49 million, representing 5.6% of the state's population of 62.41 million.

Now let's assume, for argument's sake, that the various Muslim groups protesting the release of Vishwaroopam represent about 50% of the Muslims in the state. After all, there could be many Muslims in Tamil Nadu who don't give a damn about Vishwaroopam or any other Kollywood Roopam.

This means that 1.7 million Muslims in Tamil Nadu are dictating what the remaining 60.7 million will watch.

Is this what democracy in a supposedly secular nation has turned out to be ' A tiny minority holding hostage the vast majority on the altar of violence (or law and order, to use the Indian euphemism).

No wonder we call our nation Incredible India!

Incredible, for all the wrong reasons.

http://www.searchindia.com/2013/01/31/jayalalitha-makes-perfect-sense/

*shakes my head*

Yankees thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Those claiming how the negative portrayal of Muslims in the film will increase Muslim stereotypes/prejudice should understand, the ban and the whole hullabaloo created isn't going to help their case either. I think this will just create more enmity between the cinema-going fans and these Muslim organizations.