Kamal Haasan threatens to leave country - Page 18

Posted: 11 years ago

The ongoing row over Vishwaroopam is not simply due to some Muslims of Tamil Nadu alleging that the film shows the community in a bad light. At the root of the controversy lies a political angle that is much more intriguing.

Kamal Hassan's speech at a recent book launch and his decision to release the film on the Direct-to-Home platform seem to have proved detrimental to the actor. Incidentally, the satellite rights of Vishwaroopam were first bagged by Jaya TV. A subsequent dispute between the channel and Raj Kamal Films meant that the rights were given to Vijay TV.

Kamal Hassan had by then entered into an understanding with Airtel DTH and Vishwaroopam was supposed to premiere at 9.30 p.m on Jan 10, 2013. However, objections raised by the Tamil Nadu Exhibitors Association and the Tamil Nadu Theatre Owners Association forced him to announce on Jan 14 that the film will be released on the DTH platform only on Feb 2.

Prior to these developments, the actor who has so far stayed away from politics made a statement with significant connotations on Dec 30, 2012. That day, a book about Finance Minister P Chidambaram was released at a function in Chennai. After DMK patriarch M Karunanidhi handed over the first copy of the book to Chidambaram's mother Lakshmi Achi, the Kollywood icon remarked that Tamils are very capable of leading the nation and pointed to the finance minister.

Kamal Hassan probably did not realise that by praising P Chidambaram, he had unwittingly incurred Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa's displeasure. According to political observers, the ADMK supremo was irked by the actor's words as she harbours ambitions of becoming the prime minister one day. This apparently contributed to the actor's present woes.

The alacrity with which the state government accepted the plea of pro-Muslim outfits to ban Vishwaroopam suggests that there is definitely a subtext. Last year, another film faced similar protests. Nevertheless, the Vijay-starrer 'Thuppaki' enjoyed a successful run even though a few organisations in Tamil Nadu railed against its unfavourable depiction of Muslims

^ he sounds paranoid has he started using drugs or something . He thinks people Are after him .
😉

This is becoming a farce
I am watching news right now and Jaya is saying some muslim religious groups and leaders have conveyed to her about their problems regarding some scenes and if those scenes are deleted then it can go ahead with a release :/ :S She said I don't have any personal grudges with him.

Btw, think UP is going to be a problem too cause the government over there is saying too that first they will see and then decide. Plus, UP is ruled by SP currently so it's def. gonna be a problem.

Maharashtra is all ok for release and Kamal's flying to Mumbai to show his film. He looked very upset and he said "I am hurt, I am still very hurt".
If only our desi governments showed even 10% of this enthusiasm for real issues.
aakanksha, kamal has already said that he will cut those scnes.It seems he went to see jaya and put forward his viewpoints but she refused to meet him.
by the way, its still running in kerala. I saw politcial leaders across the partylines watching the movie and giving out their pov abt the movie during the newshour on tv
Jayalalithaa: Considering that film was to be released in 524 theaters is it practically possible to provide protection to them all?

...🤣 How do idiots like her become CM? Says things like can't provide security to 500 buildings..how the heck is she planning on making sure her state remains safe.
Edited by chocolover89 - 11 years ago
Shamil, you can call me Anku :) its me umm ~angelz16~ from dmg forum.. incase u remember.
And yeah, that's why even I was confused while hearing her bcoz I was wondering the same thing that hasn't he agreed to do that already? She looked like one shrewd woman in the news. mehh.
Anybody saw the movie? How is it? Iam quite disappointed with his last movie Dashavataram. It seemed more like a fancy dress competition to me. Nevertheless he is one of the finest actors India has ever seen. And  here in this issue he has all rights to complain and grab attention. When you dedicate your mind and money to what you do you have all rights to get concerned about its acceptance. But as somebody pointed out it seems more of an egoistic political issue than religious sensitivity. Here in India unfortunately people especially politicians sometimes use religion as a cover to protect other deeds as they very well know how sensitive and touchy it can get. Its a sad,sad affair.
@Himani: u remember that little piece of scripture and what it said about the leaders? Truer words were never written probably about politicians 😆
Originally posted by -aakanksha-

Shamil, you can call me Anku :) its me umm ~angelz16~ from dmg forum.. incase u remember.
And yeah, that's why even I was confused while hearing her bcoz I was wondering the same thing that hasn't he agreed to do that already? She looked like one shrewd woman in the news. mehh.
ankuu🤗
ofocurse I remember u😃
@bold- that she is.