zorrro

Goldie

zorrro

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 10:09am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Freethinker112

Originally posted by zorrro

Originally posted by _Angie_

Originally posted by Beyond_the_Veil

I don't really think there's anything to really "debate" here, as far as your topic's heading is concerned. Or even remotely discuss, unless you want to talk about the patriarchal state of the world. But "Is it okay to be a wife beater" does not even warrant an answer!! I mean, any sane person in their right mind knows it's not!
C'mon now! Sane people in their riight mind !?   That's outdated!! LOL
Emoticon added for effect.
more sarcasm !!! Shocked Confused --- my head reeling already Wacko LOL

But your post wasn't sarcasm, was it? Shocked
was it? Confused Question

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Is it OK to be a wife beater? (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 10:12am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

FreshDaisy

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 10:13am | IP Logged

Sarcasm is great. But caveat. There are some literal people out there. LOL

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

MisheLovesLowCulture

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 10:13am | IP Logged

I don't really think there's anything to really "debate" here, as far as your topic's heading is concerned. Or even remotely discuss, unless you want to talk about the patriarchal state of the world. But "Is it okay to be a wife beater" does not even warrant an answer!! I mean, any sane person in their right mind knows it's not!

Or was it not? Confused

zorrro

Goldie

zorrro

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 10:15am | IP Logged

Or was it not? Confused
wish I knew Ouch

TheBoss

IF-Dazzler

TheBoss

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 10:18am | IP Logged

What's to debate here? Every man worth his salt beats his wife to have her under discipline, it's not something you need to discuss. It's your right as a husband. And how come he married her when she can't cook? Did he not ask her to take the mandatory cooking test when they were at hers to "see" the girl? And sending back to home is a big no-no. You can't make her rest at home while she screws up chapattis, you beat and intimidate them unless they do it right. Best would be to starve her at home unless she makes them perfect round chapatis, hunger would be a good motivator. And don't forget to calculate that the circumference of the chapati is 2*pi*r, to ensure that what she cooks is a perfect circle, as anything less is simply unacceptable.

Girls these days, one thing they have to do is the kitchen and can't even do that properly. No wonder people ask for dowry, I mean you have to make up for the stupid daughter you sent. How much compromise can a man do?

Well he did, but there was some last minute treachery.  As it turns out it was the other sister (saali) who impressed them with test cooking, little did they know they are getting a defective item in a new box.

I like your suggestions, its akin to water boarding and as they say jab pait pey laat pardti hai to sab seekh jaate hain. 

As it turns out some women get beaten up quite regularly but they just don't do anything about it and live in denial thinking one day the person would change. Talk about stockholm syndrome where they think its for their own good to learn the hard way.

Even if physical violence is not applied, the emotional trauma can be equally worse with the intimidation tactics that keeps the women awake at night and afraid for the slightest move.

anaidama

TheBoss

IF-Dazzler

TheBoss

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 10:24am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Sarcasm is great. But caveat. There are some literal people out there. LOL

Well even the literal people are often guilty, see education works only when the person is willing to adapt and learn. Unfortunately even with extremely high standards of education a lot of people in the majority are chained to their customs and they feel helpless when it comes to their grassroots so knowingly or unknowingly they become part of the problem and contribute to it and the cycle begins again.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

--arti--epiphany.

--arti--

Goldie

--arti--

Kasturi, RKS Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 10:27am | IP Logged
Originally posted by TheBoss

...our community and their flawed mindset full of archaic and barbaric thoughts but it wouldn't do any good as most people are thick skull-ed to get your point across.

Don't know how you're defining "our" community (South Asian? Diaspora? Upper caste? Upper class? Male? Straight?). You shouldn't presume we all share the same experience. There is no hive mind full of "barbaric" thoughts. There are historic and ongoing systemic forms of oppression everywhere in the world, and it's true that most of us are complicit in re-producing those forms of oppression on a daily basis and in our everyday lives. It's easy to laugh at stereotypes of sexist behaviour, but much harder to tease out the "innocent" ways in which we might participate in that behaviour. We have the ability to challenge our role in that participation, because history, or herstory, or whatever, is also full of examples of collective responses to oppression in the form of social movements and freedom struggles.

If you're trying to "educate" all of us (again, not sure who the "us" is), thanks, I guess, but maybe your starting point shouldn't be that we all share some kind of unfailingly cohesive set of views and experiences. There's nothing wrong with writing books or satire, but we all need to challenge what I call the "white documentary-maker approach." The assumptions of that approach are 1) I know everything, 2) It's important for the world for me to just put my voice/views out there as if it is uncontested, or as if I am the only one who feels this way.

The opposite of that approach is to spend time learning from people, especially by spending time with the ones that are so "barbaric," to try to hear the other voices of resistance, the subaltern voices, amidst the "wife-beater" stereotypes. Figure out where critical conversations/struggles are happening within your geographical area, humbly ask them if you can contribute to their project/struggle (if in fact you can). See, that way it's not about the white documentary maker and her quest to educate the rest of us. Instead, it will become part of some of those genuinely creative collective responses already happening out there.

TheBoss

Post Reply New Post

Go to top