Is it OK to be a wife beater? - Page 7

Posted: 11 years ago
Originally posted by return_to_hades

If I understand  correctly ( I could be wrong) the bones of contention she has with you are

-          You accused women of being stupid or suffering Stockholm syndrome for not leaving abusive relationships. This is a quite common misconception and is a major sore spot for victims and those who have worked with victims. For the longest time I used to think the same as well ' I don't let anyone even talk balk to me let alone beat, have some self respect, just leave. Upon growing older and seeing women in society, I understood that it is easier said than done. There are many factors make leaving an abusive relationship a complex and difficult issue. From what I understand the worst most demeaning thing to tell an abuse victim is "Why don't you just leave?"Each case of abusive relationship is unique and the conversation starter should be "What is going on here and what is the best way to go about helping the victim"

-          You seemed to state that this was only an "Indian issue". A lot of people from the west tend to view only India. Middle East or similar developing nations as the only places that have misogynist abusive cultures. That is an offensive and hurtful stereotype, and another hot button issue. The truth is that it is a global issue. The only difference tends to be how society views women's right and abuse.

-          You also want to try to retrofit the western approach to abuse to India. The problem is that each society and culture is so different that one size fits all solutions tend to make matters worse. The problem is that many men haven't even been taught how to treat women and what constitutes abuse. Society doesn't understand the need for a woman to leave such relationships. Before we even tackle abuse, we have the daunting task of addressing these hurdles.

You may mean the best, but these opinions sometimes come off as brazen or unfair.

but this is true also they r spineless   , they dont have courage to move  on  so they choose not to  stand up for herself   ,  n then they cry   " humaare saath galat ho rha hai  , jyadti ho rhi hai "  if woman   dont want to do anything herself   tou koi aur kyu karega
I don't get where the offended are getting the "fun" feel from? Although the troll thread bargained a troll response, I never saw any "fun" or humor in it, and rather pointed out the absurdities, both of the OP and what does in fact happen, in my post.
Originally posted by K.Universe.

I don't know what good a slogan like "Empower women", or some such, on paper, would do RTH.

Real world operates at a different level.
Welcome to the real world and real chehere! Now for some real solutions for a real world -

@ RTH-  Some suggestions for your consideration:

1.     Report incidences of domestic violence that one notices in ones neighbourhood to a designated helpline. Waiting for a victim to lodge a complaint doesn't seem very  logical.

2.     More pro-active role by the Woman and child commission and NGOs  in the country.

3.     On receiving complaints the commission needs to ensure that prompt and stern action is taken

4.     Regular visits to such homes by social workers/volunteers /NGOs to ensure safety of the woman  

5.     Support offered to the woman in  the form of some vocational training and  opportunities to earn a decent livelihood.

6.     Decent crche facilities for the women's kids so that she can work without worrying about them.

7.     Make domestic violence punishable. ( Short term jail would suffice in most cases to put the fear even in men claiming to possess a "spine" who somehow always prefer to marry spineless women!)

8.     Professional counseling for the couple .  

9.     Repeat offenders to  get jail term with compulsory training to make round chappatis. If they fail shove toilet paper down their throats.

10.  Set up Reformatory Homes for repeat domestic abusers. Unlike the juvenile board there should be no release unless certified as reformed.

*Feel free to add to the list …😛

^ most of the solutions above have a after-the-horse-has-left-the-barn kind of feel to it.😆 Guys have to be indoctrinated to not harm girls, at schools, in homes, as mandatory courses they have to take before they get ration IDs or drivers ID. And make the folks signing off on those cards accomplices to crime in case the guy they signed off on does something wrong...

i am all for punishment but i dont think even a death penalty would be enough to deter rapists, let alone domestic abusers. They are too far gone if they can even think like that. What is needed is a cultural shift in attitudes...  

Originally posted by BirdieNumNum

^ most of the solutions above have a after-the-horse-has-left-the-barn kind of feel to it.😆 Guys have to be indoctrinated to not harm girls, at schools, in homes, as mandatory courses they have to take before they get ration IDs or drivers ID. And make the folks signing off on those cards accomplices to crime in case the guy they signed off on does something wrong...

i am all for punishment but i dont think even a death penalty would be enough to deter rapists, let alone domestic abusers. They are too far gone if they can even think like that. What is needed is a cultural shift in attitudes...  

Exactly, while I fully agree with the above pointers they really do not actually do anything about the issue itself. 😊

There are so many people here who are getting worked up and telling me everybody's situation is different and all I hear is justification but no solutions. I tried to logically debate this issue and addressed to all pointers and backed up my posts with reasonable explanation but we are going in circles.

I only pose this question: How do you deal with a person who beats you up and refuses to change?  
Its very simply you cant. It just cannot be reasoned or worked with and at the end of the day he will continue to beat you up, so there is really no point being in that relationship anymore, time to cut your losses and move on.
Originally posted by TheBoss

Exactly, while I fully agree with the above pointers they really do not actually do anything about the issue itself. 😊

There are so many people here who are getting worked up and telling me everybody's situation is different and all I hear is justification but no solutions. I tried to logically debate this issue and addressed to all pointers and backed up my posts with reasonable explanation but we are going in circles.

I only pose this question: How do you deal with a person who beats you up and refuses to change?  
Its very simply you cant. It just cannot be reasoned or worked with and at the end of the day he will continue to beat you up, so there is really no point being in that relationship anymore, time to cut your losses and move on.

regarding cutting your losses, that's one side of the equation. There are other factors too eg. kids, financial stability, overall quality of life etc. They are the ones best suitable to make that decision. As outsiders, we can never have that insight. All one can do is provide worthwhile options they can explore (eg. shelters for battered women) and exercise without fear. If they want to leave, there should be be a support system. No point consigning them to a life that might turn out to be worse (and i suppose that fear keeps plenty of women hooked in the relationship, even an abusive one).
Originally posted by _Angie_

Welcome to the real world and real chehere! Now for some real solutions for a real world -

@ RTH-  Some suggestions for your consideration:

1.     Report incidences of domestic violence that one notices in ones neighbourhood to a designated helpline. Waiting for a victim to lodge a complaint doesn't seem very  logical. 

Doesnt help the solution, will piss off the husband more.

2.     More pro-active role by the Woman and child commission and NGOs  in the country.

I agree, better education and support is needed.

3.     On receiving complaints the commission needs to ensure that prompt and stern action is taken

Doesnt help the solution, it means girl is already single by now, doesnt help her marriage.

4.     Regular visits to such homes by social workers/volunteers /NGOs to ensure safety of the woman  

Wouldnt work, people put on a good fake show. A little intimidation goes a long way. In the end even if the guy gets caught it doesnt help the girl with her marital situation does it?

5.     Support offered to the woman in  the form of some vocational training and  opportunities to earn a decent livelihood.

This I totally agree with, more financial support and training is important and goes a long way, whole heartedly agree.

6.     Decent crche facilities for the women's kids so that she can work without worrying about them.

Totally agree see above No 5.

7.     Make domestic violence punishable. ( Short term jail would suffice in most cases to put the fear even in men claiming to possess a "spine" who somehow always prefer to marry spineless women!)

Same thing, guy goes to jail marriage breaks. If and when he returns he is more angrier than ever before.

8.     Professional counseling for the couple .  

If it comes to this then chances are he likely hit her. Besides most counselling dont work there is a perverse rush of feeling to feel superior and hit ppl wouldnt be given up so easily.

9.     Repeat offenders to  get jail term with compulsory training to make round chappatis. If they fail shove toilet paper down their throats.

Same, doesnt help the girl by this point she is already alone.

10.  Set up Reformatory Homes for repeat domestic abusers. Unlike the juvenile board there should be no release unless certified as reformed.

Only saves future victims so I somewhat agree.

*Feel free to add to the list '😛

You raise some good points, I agree with few suggestions while I find the others unworkable. As you can see most of your pointers only apply when she is no longer with the guy which comes back to my point all along that there is no point being in such relationships after all. 😊

regarding cutting your losses, that's one side of the equation. There are other factors too eg. kids, financial stability, overall quality of life etc. They are the ones best suitable to make that decision. As outsiders, we can never have that insight. All one can do is provide worthwhile options they can explore (eg. shelters for battered women) and exercise without fear. If they want to leave, there should be be a support system. No point consigning them to a life that might turn out to be worse (and i suppose that fear keeps plenty of women hooked in the relationship, even an abusive one).

But you do agree that it means she will end up being the punching bag? I totally understand where you are coming from but if I understand correctly you are implying that based on so and so conditions (which are out of her reach/situation) she has to put up with.

Now don't misunderstand me I totally get it, but it does mean that she will continue to suffer wouldn't she? For however long it may be right? But let me ask you this in the end is it worth it?

I agree to the rest of your suggestion about shelter, better support system and training etc. That is the right approach, that should boost the confidence and make them make the move and it should be that way.

The question pertained to the situation where the horse had left the barn. The problem at hand needs to be addressed on priority before moving on to long term solutions. There is no need to give up on the case in hand while a workable solution is still possible. Punishment works when accompanied with surveillance and monitoring. That is application of immediate negative reinforcement of conditioned response.
Originally posted by TheBoss

You raise some good points, I agree with few suggestions while I find the others unworkable. As you can see most of your pointers only apply when she is no longer with the guy which comes back to my point all along that there is no point being in such relationships after all. 😊

The idea is to help her realise that she is better off without such a scum and help her cope till she does that . Also to offer options and help needed to make that move.