Why only killing a female embryo is wrong? - Page 8

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 11 years ago
As for others saying to not steer this discussion in discussing abortion in general (even I said that I think), the truth is, sex-selective abortion cannot be properly discussed, let alone debated, without discussing basic ideas about abortion. Period.
LovesLowCulture thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Beyond_the_Veil

In any case:

a) If sex-selective abortion is killing + discrimination
then, logically, 
ordinary abortion is killing

b) If ordinary abortion is not an act of killing,
then, logically, 
sex-selective abortion is not an act of killing but only discrimination.

Yes. But it's not "only" an act of discrimination. 

As you've stated on numerous occasions, things aren't black or white when it comes to abortions. To answer your last question, as far as a label is concerned, I am pro-choice, meaning for a woman's right to get an abortion. Like Return_To_Hades pointed out, these labels cover a wide variety of views. 
My goal here was  to shed some light on my position as someone who is anti-"gendercide" and pro-choice person. 
MOTHERHOOD thumbnail

Babies should have just dropped from flowers fully formed like we were told in our childhood.

The there would be no grey areas about the fetus's level of development and if it constitutes as life.

Sex should not have produced babies.
Then people could have tension free sexual intercourse.
Those who want baby could have opted for any artificial methods.
End of all problems.

As for others saying to not steer this discussion in discussing abortion in general (even I said that I think), the truth is, sex-selective abortion cannot be properly discussed, let alone debated, without discussing basic ideas about abortion. Period.

Fine. But I think our positions on abortion are apparent. Clearly, we don't agree on whether the fetus has "life" or "choice." 
All I can do, is shed light on my position, which is fundamentally different from couple of participants on here. 
Originally posted by: K.Universe.

And we should use a crystal ball to determine who would contribute and who wouldn't, before the baby is even born?!

Of course not, but many people treat the technology to determine the sex of a fetus as a crystal ball. The ideas about what kind of child the embryo will grow into is based on the embryo's sex and the prevailing attitudes about gender. 
MOTHERHOOD thumbnail

And we should use a crystal ball to determine who would contribute and who wouldn't, before the baby is even born?!

The baby who is planned only has the right to live.
Others can die.

Agreed. But once again, we seem to be talking to each other on points we both already agree upon :) Only question then remains: is there a point to being in this thread anymore.

When was the last time we were on the same side of the spectrum K? In fact, not so long ago, I remember the hot-headed POH and K having some colorful exchanges, all started from discussing some fictitious characters. ðŸ˜† It's good to be on the same side so I will continue (despite saying I am gonna leave this thread a million times already!).

Just thoughts straight from my heart here. I find the thought of abortion extremely ugly and almost unimaginable. But I also realize strict pro-life stance is not only unfair, but is also counter-productive as people will still resort to abortion, only in an unsafe manner, resulting in more deaths and disasters. For that reason alone, if not emotionally, then pragmatically, I tend to respect the woman's right to "choose" it for herself. But then I should not be a hypocrite and deny her the same right (even when it's completely her decision) when she chose the same thing, just with a different reason than the common/ordinary one (i.e. due to the sex of the baby). But I can't bring myself to justify sex-selective abortions as I find the thought even uglier than common abortions, which contradicts with my former position too. I can't bring the discrimination against gender argument as I am already permitting discriminating against the essence that contains the gender in itself. It's just too complicated.

Needless to say I wish I'd never have to be in a position to have anything to do with any abortion, even as a male.
^^ It's OK to hold conflicting thoughts and opinions. 
IMO, it's better to be a hypocrite (if being pro-choice and yet seeing sex-selective abortion makes me one, fine by me) than a bigot  :) 

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Trying real hard not to define fetus and dive into abortion zone.

Originally posted by: LovesLowCulture

Yes. But it's not "only" an act of discrimination.

What "else" is it then? Don't say it's ALSO an acting of killing because that's not what you'd be saying (forgive me if I am wrong) if abortion was done for ordinary reasons. Initially you said it's the act of discrimination that makes you be against sex-selective abortion, and not the termination of the fetus in itself, right. Now what. I think I am mistaking you,

Originally posted by: LovesLowCulture

As you've stated on numerous occasions, things aren't black or white when it comes to abortions. To answer your last question, as far as a label is concerned, I am pro-choice, meaning for a woman's right to get an abortion. Like Return_To_Hades pointed out, these labels cover a wide variety of views. 

My goal here was  to shed some light on my position as someone who is anti-"gendercide" and pro-choice person. 

I understand your position pretty clearly. I am more-or-less in the same boat. I am playing the devil's advocate many-a-times because I can see the other side of the coin here pretty well. I may have come out to be a supporter of sex-selective abortion but I am not. I may have come out to be a strict pro-life sometimes too which I am not either.