Sanskaar - Dharohar Apnon Ki
Sanskaar - Dharohar Apnon Ki

India-Forums

HT: An overdose of tradition

KhatamKahani IF-Sizzlerz
KhatamKahani
KhatamKahani

Posted: 26 January 2013 at 11:50am | IP Logged
I'm only posting the part relevant to Sanskaar...  here.  The full article can be read in the link given below the excerpt.

Princess Not-So-Charming and an overdose of tradition
Poonam Saxena
January 26, 2013

If I were told I could use two and only two words to describe most Hindi TV soaps and serials, I would go for "slow" and "repetitive." Seriously, what could be slower than the pace of a daily soap? Grass growing? Paint drying? As for repetition, imagine the same dialogues and scenes popping up 
again and again, often in the same episode, as if all viewers were victims of short-term memory loss, unable to remember what happened ten minutes ago

I wish these two words didn't apply to the two new shows that have begun on Sony and Colors.

...snip...

The second show, Sanskaar - Dharohar Apnon Ki (Colors), is about a young man called Jaikishan Vaishnav, who belongs to an extended Gujarati family (the nth extended Gujarati family we've seen on TV in the last 12 years). The family mill has burnt down and so Jaikishan decides to help out by going to America and earning some dollars.

Nothing wrong with the premise, except that the whole devotion to Indian 'culture' and 'tradition' is so overdone, it's like eating too many sweets and then feeling quite ill. Dear serial makers, you don't have to lay it on with a trowel, we get it (even if we don't agree with it; do you really believe that everyone in India is as wonderful as everyone in America is rude and racist? Is this Purab Aur Paschim reloaded?) Oh and did I mention the words "slow" and "repetitive"?

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Entertainment/Television/Princess-Not-So-Charming-and-an-overdose-of-tradition/Article1-1001920.aspx

Edited by likarsh - 26 January 2013 at 11:46am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

poo_j

PreetyLoveJS Goldie
PreetyLoveJS
PreetyLoveJS

Posted: 26 January 2013 at 8:36pm | IP Logged
I too dont agree with the article...
The show is so fresh n the family is not the typical gujarati family which they usually show on tv.it has the best cinematography n a wonderful cast !
i wonder if the critic has really watched the show ??
Anyways i am loving the show Wink
SuShaanRocks Goldie
SuShaanRocks
SuShaanRocks

Posted: 26 January 2013 at 9:01pm | IP Logged
Not agree... Approve
AkkiHP IF-Stunnerz
AkkiHP
AkkiHP

Posted: 26 January 2013 at 11:31pm | IP Logged
lolz looks like the  critics herself is some maha bore and reptitive person wat nonsesne she wrote yaar..its demand of the current scene yaar Traditions values have to be shown before they go extinct bcz of creepy western culture
KhatamKahani IF-Sizzlerz
KhatamKahani
KhatamKahani

Posted: 27 January 2013 at 12:31am | IP Logged
I agree the the pluses of the show should be mentioned. However, the author is very much right, imo, that the America-is-rude-and-racist scenes are very unrealistic, unnecessary and for many, down right cringe worthy.

And this coming from someone who does like the scenes in the US, except for those ridiculous exaggerations and scenarios.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

poo_j

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index