Page   of 6
Page 5 Page 6

Ephemera

IF-Sizzlerz

Ephemera

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 12:21am | IP Logged
S1 episode 8 : BUGS

Filming Location: Chemistry Building, UBC
Sam and Dean reasoned that Dustin Burwash died on spring equinox "when sun and moon share the sky as equals".BoM, p.32
While the tribe cited in the show is referred to as "Pucci", the type of graves featured in the episode were typically made by South American natives and a blanket used in the set dressing is of a Pueblo Indian design.
The filming of the climactic scene in this episode spawned Jensen's favourite anecdote - The Bee Story
While the scenes with the bees were filmed with real bees, the insects didn't show up on film, so they had to CGI the bees in at the end.
Kim Manners (who begged Eric Kripke not to do "Bugs"):
"They bring in six hundred bees, or however many bees, and I was like 'Oh my god, I can't wait to see the dailies!' But you watch the dailies and you can't tell there's one bee in that room - they just don't read on camera or they were too sluggish. (...) And you just start laughing because you put your crew in a room with hundreds of bees and then you can't even tell if there are any bees on camera. It's a bizarre job sometimes."S1Com, p. 52-53
Dean: Mad cow? Wasn't that on Oprah?

Sam: You watch Oprah?

In reference to the "Mad Cow" issue: Winfrey's influence reaches far beyond pop-culture and into unrelated industries where many believe she has the power to cause enormous market swings and radical price changes with a single comment. During a show about mad cow disease with Howard Lyman (aired on April 16, 1996), Winfrey exclaimed, "It has just stopped me cold from eating another burger!" Texas cattlemen sued her and Lyman in early 1998 for "false defamation of perishable food" and "business disparagement," claiming that Winfrey's remarks subsequently sent cattle prices tumbling, costing beef producers some USD$12 million. On February 26, after a trial spanning over two months in an Amarillo, Texas court in the thick of cattle country, a jury found Winfrey and Lyman were not liable for damages. (After the trial, she received a postcard from Rosanne Barr reading, "Congratulations, you beat the meat!")
Dean: Maybe they're being controlled somehow, you know, by something or someone.

Sam: You mean, like Willard?
Dean: Yeah, bugs instead of rats.
Sam: There are cases of psychic connections between people and animals. Elementals, telepaths...
Dean: Yeah, that whole Timmy-Lassie thing... Larry's kid, bugs for pets.

Willard was a 1971 horror movie about a social misfit named Willard, who has a strange affinity/link with rats. He controls the rats to attack and kill people who have been cruel to him.
Lassie, a television series (1954-1974), revolved around a collie named Lassie and her boy owner, Timmy, a farm boy frequently helped out of scrapes by his super-intelligent dog.
Dean: [to Sam] You were kind of like the blonde chick in The Munsters.
The Munsters was a 1960's TV show about a family of... monsters - vampires, a "Frankenstein" type monster, and various other ghouls. "The blonde chick," niece Marilyn Munster, is the only member of the family who is completely normal. The family is vaguely ashamed of their relationship to such an "ugly" person, and even Marilyn is aware of her "plain-ness". She bemoans that she keeps scaring off potential boyfriends, having no idea that the youths are in fact frightened away by her family.
The scene where Dean fights the bugs off with an improvised flame thrower made from a combination of a can of some sort of pressurised accelerant and a lighter, is reminiscent of scenes in the 1990 film Arachnophobia wherein Jeff Daniels' character faces off against the 'Queen spider' in his basement with a nail gun and an improvised flame thrower.
Many of the final scenes in Bugs appear to have been inspired by the Alfred Hitchcock 1963 Classic The Birds - such as the shots of the bugs swarming against the night sky, the bugs penetrating through closed windows and doors, and the ripped back roof through which the Winchesters see the sky the following morning.

Minutiae

Eric Kripke often cites this episode as one of his least favorites in the series. When the prophet Chuck meets Sam and Dean, he asks them if he they had to live through the "bugs". He laments that they were "forced to live bad writing."

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

MS-meghasharmaMrsSidMalhotra

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "POP culture and Trivia in SPN (Page 4)" in Supernatural forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

MrsSidMalhotra

IF-Sizzlerz

MrsSidMalhotra

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 12:27am | IP Logged
Thumbs UpThumbs Up luved it
thank u for the info ApproveHugCool

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Ephemera

MS-meghasharma

IF-Sizzlerz

MS-meghasharma

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 3:02am | IP Logged
thanks for info:)))))

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

MrsSidMalhotraEphemera

sayanti_ashiuv

IF-Rockerz

sayanti_ashiuv

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 9:59am | IP Logged
ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap lovely as always, L..and look at your dpEmbarrassedShocked JA n HCBlushingBlushing

Ephemera

Ephemera

IF-Sizzlerz

Ephemera

Posted: 08 February 2013 at 2:02am | IP Logged
Originally posted by sayanti_ashiuv

Clap lovely as always, L..and look at your dpEmbarrassedShocked JA n HCBlushingBlushing

do you know HC??ShockedShocked
OMG you are blushing...Shocked do you like him?? or used to??Embarrassed
well yeah JA JP and MC are like my elder brother..and HC is like my best friend...and i am fan of both of them from many yearsEmbarrassed

MrsSidMalhotra

Jyotimena

IF-Rockerz

Jyotimena

Posted: 08 February 2013 at 3:46am | IP Logged
Just fab!

Ephemera

Ephemera

IF-Sizzlerz

Ephemera

Posted: 09 February 2013 at 1:10am | IP Logged
Season 1 Episode 9 HOME

When Sari tells Jenny that she is afraid of the thing in the closet, Jenny reassures her that there is nothing to be afraid of. In contrast, we learnt in the Pilot that when Sam was nine and said he was scared of the thing in the closet, John gave him a .45.
The scene where Sam hands Ritchie to his sister Sari and says "take your brother outside as fast as you can, and don't look back" is a replay of the teaser for the Pilot when John hands baby Sam to Dean and says the same words.
Dean: First you tell me that you've got the Shining, and then you tell me that I've gotta go back home?
The Shining (1980) is a feature film by Stanley Kubrick based on the novel of the same title by Stephen King. The film stars Jack Nicholson as tormented writer Jack Torrance. Jack's son, Danny, had creepy visions of impending evil. Another character referred to this "gift" as The Shining, hence the title. I will always assume that Dean is referring to the Kubrick film, not the novel or remake, as he also (in later episodes) makes several references to Jack Nicholson's role in the film.
Dean: Missouri did her whole Zelda Rubenstein thing. The house should be clean; this should be over.
Cymbal Monkey of Doom
Zelda played psychic Tangina Barrons in the 1982 film Poltergeist and its sequels. There is a scene in the first film where she does her psychic thing, then proclaims "This house is clean!" It is not, of course, and much more mayhem ensues... Perhaps Dean should have given more thought to his own reference here. :)
The cymbal-banging toy monkey is arguably an homage: There is a short story by Stephen King titled "The Monkey", synopsis as follows: "The story centers on a toy monkey that is apparently possessed by evil. The monkey is found by children, and their parents are, for some reason, freaked out. Periodically, the sinister monkey comes into motion, predicting the death of someone. In the end, the monkey is dumped in a lake in a bag full of heavy stones, thus stopping the deaths."
Dean hacking away at the front door with an axe and then peering inside the hole is reminiscent of the scene from The Shining, albeit without Jack Nicholson's famous catchphrase.

sayanti_ashiuv

IF-Rockerz

sayanti_ashiuv

Posted: 09 February 2013 at 8:37am | IP Logged
Originally posted by lakshmi_3004

Originally posted by sayanti_ashiuv

Clap lovely as always, L..and look at your dpEmbarrassedShocked JA n HCBlushingBlushing

do you know HC??ShockedShocked
OMG you are blushing...Shocked do you like him?? or used to??Embarrassed
well yeah JA JP and MC are like my elder brother..and HC is like my best friend...and i am fan of both of them from many yearsEmbarrassed

yeah L, i have known him from his LRL days and i do like him a lotSmileEmbarrassed

Ephemera

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Supernatural Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.