Supernatural

POP culture and Trivia in SPN

Ephemera thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago
here is a concise collection of all the american pop culture reference and trivias about each episode of SPN...

as SPN episodes are filled with pop culture references...i found it interesting to learn about and hence am sharing here😳

hope you guys find it interesting...😃

CREDIT : www.supernaturalwiki.com

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Ephemera thumbnail
1] PILOT S1 X 01

Trivia & References

Jensen Ackles cited this episode as his favorite in the premier issue of the Official Supernatural Magazine saying: "I mean, obviously the pilot stands out among all the rest."
At Jus In Bello Italy 2012 Jensen said that the scene where Sam and Dean were in the library together was one of his favorite scenes, because it was the first scene ever filmed. source.
The episode first premiered on Yahoo!TV on 09/06/2005. The pilot could also be seen on the internet weeks before the airing.
The premiere of the Pilot episode ran an extra 7 minutes (9:00 to 10:07 EST), bringing the total run time to 57 minutes.
This episode introduced the much debated question How long was Sam at Stanford?
The episode contains a number of scenes that are mirrored in subsequent episodes.
1. In the teaser John hands Sam to Dean and says "take your brother outside as fast as you can, and don't look back". This is repeated in Home when Sam hands Ritchie to his sister Sari and repeats the same words.
2. The sequence of Dean breaking into the apartment and wrestling with Sam is repeated in 2.20 What Is and What Should Never Be when, in the wish verse, Sam tackles Dean as he breaks into the family home.
3. The exchange when Dean tells Sam he doesn't want to do it alone, is recalled in 7.04 Defending Your Life
4. Dean slams Sam against the bridge when he questions the family mission. This is mirrored when Sam does that to Dean in Salvation.
5. At the end of the Pilot, there is a shot of Dean and Sam standing over the trunk of the Impala. As Sam tosses a weapon into he trunk he says "we've got work to do" and closes the trunk. At the end of 2.22 All Hell Breaks Loose: Part Two, the scene is replayed with the brother's positions reversed. Dean tosses the Colt into the trunk and says "We've got work to do." In 4.01 Lazarus Rising, when Dean asks Castiel why he was brought back, Castiel responds, "Because we have work for you." In 7.19 Of Grave Importance the line is used by Bobby to explain his presence as a ghost.
A deleted scene (watch)(contained Season 1 DVD) shows the reason Dean returned to save Sam from his burning bedroom: his watch stopped, the car radio send static and that's why he turned the car around, sensing something was wrong. Later on, we learn that in the days before the fires, signs crop up in an area, cattle deaths, temperature fluctuations, electrical storms.
Every street referenced in this episode is named after a real street in Eric Kripke's hometown, Toledo, Ohio.S1Com, p.18
John's motel room is papered with articles. One is about a Cambion suggested John was speculating on Sam's heritage. Another is about Constance Welch. The article says a neighbor described Constance as a quiet but very lovely woman. This neighbor is named Deanna Kripke - the name of Eric Kripke's wife
Sam: We're not exactly the Bradys.

Friend: And I'm not exactly the Huxtables.

Sam is referring to the family in the TV show The Brady Bunch, a large patchwork family that stands for the ultimate American middle class family. His friend mentions the Bradys' 80's african-american equivalent from The Cosby Show, the Huxtables.
It is also possible that Sam is referring to the Brady family from the American soap opera, Days of our Lives, on which Jensen Ackles played Eric Brady.
Jessica's smurfs

Dean: [referring to Jessica's t-shirt] I love the Smurfs.

The Smurfs was a cartoon series about little blue creatures living in mushroom houses in the woods. There was only one female smurf, Smurfette. Some fans believe that Dean, however, is referring not to the smurfs on Jessica's shirt, but to the pair underneath.
Sam: So he's working over-time on a "Miller Time" shift; he'll stumble back in sooner or later.
and

Sam: Yeah, he's just deer hunting up at the cabin and he's probably got Jim, Jack, and Jose along with him. We're just gonna go bring him back.

All references to alcohol: Miller (beer), Jim Beam (bourbon), Jack Daniels (whiskey), and Jose Cuervo (tequila).
Agents Mulder & Scully

Dean: [to two FBI Agents] Agent Mulder, Agent Scully.

Fox Mulder and Dana Scully are the two FBI Agents on the popular sci-fi/horror series The X-Files who investigate cases involving paranormal phenomena.
Dean: Okay, thank you Unsolved Mysteries.
A TV show that featured re-enactments of unsolved crimes filmed in documentary style, with actors portraying the victims, perpetrators and witnesses. Many of these stories hinted at paranormal phenomenon.
Policeman: So you want to give us your real name?

Dean: I told you, it's Nugent. Ted Nugent.

The first of Dean's classic rock star aliases. Also possibly a reference to the movie "Fletch", starring Chevy Chase.
Policeman: I'm not sure you realize just how much trouble you're in here.

Dean: We talkin', like, misdemeanor kind of trouble, or uh, "squeal like a pig" trouble?

"Squeal like a pig" is a reference to a scene in the 1972 horror film Deliverance, in which a suburban man is told to "squeal like a pig" then brutally raped by crazed mountain men while on a fishing trip. The scene has been listed as one of the 100 Scariest Movie Moments (#63).See Deliverance for other episodes which have quotes from this movie.
Sam: What were you thinking shooting Casper in the face, you freak?
Title character in the famous cartoon series Casper, the Friendly Ghost in which Casper was, indeed, a friendly ghost, unlike the Woman in White.
Sam scored 174 on his LSAT.
Mary dies on 2nd November 1983.
2nd November is All Souls Day[1], also called the Day of the Dead in Mexico[2].
The nursery clock stops at 20:12.
Both Mary and Jess die in exactly the same way. In both cases, they die above Sam's bed.
Dean knows how to pick locks, picking his handcuffs using just a paperclip.
It was assumed by Sam, Dean, and fans that Azazel was the one who killed Jessica. However, it was revealed in 5.20 The Devil You Know that Sam's demon-possessed friend Brady did the actual killing, albeit on Azazel's instructions.
At the gas station, Sam tosses Dean the Metallica cassette, but it's AC/DC's "Back in Black" that plays.

The Pilot was filmed in March/April of 2005 in L.A.

Ephemera thumbnail
Season 1 Episode 2 WENDIGO
Tommy is seen reading a copy of Joe Campbell's "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" before he's taken by the Wendigo in the episode teaser. Eric Kripke has confirmed more than once that his writing is influenced by the Hero's Journey.
A "Northern Indian Tribe" is referenced not only in the episode but by the writers and Eric Kripke as one of the sources for the Wendigo legend. This tribe is actually the Ojibwe of Minnesota, Wisconsin, and lower Canada. The name comes from the Ojibwe word "Wiindigo" (pronounced WEEN-di-GO). Many traditional members of the tribe believe the creature to actually exist in the woods and at times put out offerings of tobacco or food to appease it.
Carrie-esque shot from "Wendigo"
In Sam's nightmare, the visual of the hand coming up out of Jessica's grave and snatching his wrist calls to mind the end of the movie Carrie based on the novel by Stephen King.
The Wendigo legend features prominently in the Stephen King novel Pet Semetery
When the Winchester brothers first meet Haley Collins, Dean tells her they are Lost Creek Rangers, from park services. When Haley asks for ID, Dean holds up a convincing fake ID with the name Samuel Cole. This could be a reference to Samuel Colt, the maker of The Colt and its original thirteen bullets. Haley, notably, does not call Dean on having an ID with his face that says 'Samuel' when he just introduced his companion, not himself, as being 'Sam'.
Dean: ...our fuzzy 'Predator' friend.
This could be a reference to Predator a film starring Arnold Schwarzenegger that features a fictional extraterrestrial species characterized by its trophy hunting of other species, including humans, for sport.
Dean: [to Roy] Tell me, uh, Bambi or Yogi ever hunt you back?
Bambi The Deer and Yogi The Beer are both famous forest-dwelling cartoon characters.
Sam: [finding Dean's trail of peanut M&Ms] It's better than bread crumbs.
A reference to the Grimm's Fairy Tales and  Hansel and Gretel, in which the children leave a trail of bread crumbs through the forest so they'll find their way home.
Ben: Like the Donner Party.
The Donner party were a group of 19th century settlers who were traveling west when they were caught in the blizzard in the Sierra Nevada, and some whom resorted to cannibalism.
The title of the episode, The Wendigo and the plot of the main charcters having to face a creature of the same name is very similar to the Charmed episode Wendigo. There, the main charchters also kill the monster with a flare gun.
As of Season 7 the Wendigo is the only creature in Supernatural that does not appear human, or cannot pass for human if necessary.

Cory Monteith who plays Finn in the TV show Glee appears in the teaser.

Wendigo filmed in July 2005 in Vancouver.
On Tommy's last call home, he indicated it was "day 6" of his camping trip, Haley told Dean and Sam that she and Ben hadn't heard from him in 3 days, and Ranger Wilkinson said Tommy wasn't a missing person because his backcountry permit to Backwater is good until "the 24th".
The coordinates John left point to Arizona, not too far from Flagstaff. The Lost Creek Wilderness Area, part of Pike National Forest in Colorado, is approx 39.3,-105.5.
akkiiiii thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
that's really detailed ... n i really dint noe many things ...hell i still dun get some of their references ...obviously n in this case ignorance is nt bliss ...becoz u cant njoy their one-liners with references simply becoz u dunno as ur nt frm the U.S...i dun blame them ..they werent keeping in mind their Indian viewers so...

Thanks a lot swtheart for this ...

love
akki
Ephemera thumbnail
Originally posted by: jyotimeena

@l
Thanx for d info

welcome jo🤗

hope you enjoyed it😳
Ephemera thumbnail
Originally posted by: akkiii

that's really detailed ... n i really dint noe many things ...hell i still dun get some of their references ...obviously n in this case ignorance is nt bliss ...becoz u cant njoy their one-liners with references simply becoz u dunno as ur nt frm the U.S...i dun blame them ..they werent keeping in mind their Indian viewers so...

Thanks a lot swtheart for this ...

love
akki

i know dear that's THE exact REASON i started this thread😳
am glad you found it useful😳
Ephemera thumbnail
SPN SEASON 1 episode 3

Trivia & References

Filming locations: Lynwood Inn, North Vancouver; Buntzen Lake
Lakehouse used in both Supernatural andDevour
Jared Padalecki's hand was broken while filming this episode, because he and Jensen Ackles got into a barfight. The way they tell it, they came into the bar after there already had been a fight and were then mistaken for the troublemakers. Another version of the story says that some guy wasn't very happy when his girlfriend approached either Jensen or Jared. See here and here for the story.
The same lakehouse and location in this episode was used in Jensen Ackles's movie Devour.
While there is no "Lake Manitoc" in Wisconsin there is a Lake Manitowoc, the city of Manitowoc, and Manitowoc county. This may have been the inspiration for the lake's name in this episode. "Manitowoc" comes from the Native American word "Mundeowk" meaning "home of the good spirit".
Jensen Ackles has cited this episode many times as one of his favorites. He especially points out the scene in which he had to erupt from the waters of Lake Manitoc while holding a child actor in his arms as one of the most "surreal" experiences he's had on the show. This was due to the stunt scuba divers that held both actors beneath the water's surface until the director yelled "action!".
Jensen Ackles again cited this episode in the premiere issue of the Official Supernatural Magazine:

"...but Dead In The Water holds a special place in my heart, too. I liked what my character had to go through in that episode. It was kind of the first time where I really got a sense of who Dean was, and I was able to peel back some layers. I thought it was a good story that was directed well, so that was definitely one of my favorites."

"When I had to hold my breath with that kid, holding him in my arms...I hope you've never had to experience something like that. When you're treading water, just getting your mind around having two people below you in the water, pulling you down...that was a really weird sensation that I wasn't prepared for, not to mention I was responsible for the life of this 10-year-old kid that was in my arms. He's supposed to be dead, so he's limp. I'm actually treading water, keeping us boath afloat with my left arm. And when they say action and I have to hold my breath, he holds his breath, and I have two divers pulling me down. So after the first time, I kicked the divers loose and I sprung right back out of the water and I'm like, 'Okay, wait a second - I'm going to need a minute for this one.' But we ended up getting the shot, and it was nice."
Guest star Amy Acker is, like Jared and Jensen, also from Texas. She attended Lake Highlands High School, bitter rival of Jensen's high school which made for many on-set jokes between the two.
Although Dean tells Sam that Sophie Carlton drowned "last week," her obituary, which Dean circles and shows to Sam, reads that she drowned on August 16. The printed obituary must be inaccurate because the episode's timeline is by necessity sometime after November 2, 2005.
Dean: I'm Agent Ford, this is Agent Hamill. We're with the U.S. Wildlife Service.
Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill are the actors who played Han Solo and Luke Skywalker in the original Star Wars trilogy. This is the first of several Star Wars references throughout the series. Also, Kripke has said that Dean and Sam are somewhat based upon Han and Luke.
Jaws-esque shot from "Dead in the Water"

Andrea: [to Sam] Tell your friend this whole Jerry Maguire thing's not gonna work on me.

Refers to the movie Jerry Maguire, in which Tom Cruise plays the title character, who spends a fair amount of time trying to charm a single mother's child in order to get close to the mother.
Sam: So, I think it's safe to say we can rule out Nessie.
The Loch Ness Monster, aka Nessie, is a cryptid that is reputed to inhabit Loch Ness in the Scottish Highlands.
Sam: Door number 2 sounds good.
In the television game show Let's Make a Deal, deals are offered to members of the audience by the host. The contestants usually have to weigh the possibility of an offer "behind door number 2" being a more valuable prize than the one that they've already earned.
The early scene of Sophie swimming in the lake, most notably the camera shots, is reminiscent of the opening scene of the 1975 film Jaws.
Ephemera thumbnail

Season 1 episode 4

phantom traveler

Trivia & References

Filming locations: Vancouver, Vancouver International Airport, South Terminal, where Jensen and Jared regularly catch their flights to L.A.
Dean is humming Metallica's "Some Kind of Monster" on the plane to calm himself down.
Christo is not Latin for "God" but Greek for "The Anointed One" (as in the title "Christ"). Moreover, it should be "Christus" or "Christe" - "Christo" is in either the dative or ablative case, and therefore means something like "to Christ" or "by Christ".
For a brief period after the episode aired, when you called Dean's 866-907-3235 number you'd get the following message: "This is Dean Winchester. If this is an emergency, please leave a message. If you are calling about 11-2-83, page me with your coordinates." 11-2-83 is the date of Mary Winchester's death.
If you watched the version of this episode that aired on December 13, 2005, you heard the number they showed in closed captioning for Dean's cell number. They changed it from the original airing. They also changed the message you will hear if you call the original number that John said. If you call 866-907-3235 now, you will hear "Dad? We really need to hear from you. Leave me a message, text me, check your jwinchester1246 gmail. Anything. We have new info. " tv.com
In the close captioning the number given was: 785-555-0179. Presumably the original script, from which the caption text was derived, had the 555- number but then they changed it for the actual on-screen dialogue. 785 is the Kansas area code.
When Sam and Dean got to the airport Sam said they had half an hour to get on the plane because the plane left at 8 PM. But earlier when they were in the car he said that it was a five-hour drive and they would never make it in time. That would make it 2:30 in the afternoon but when he said that it was dark outside. tv.com
The twin-engine plane had the registration number C-GBBP when it was on the ground. In flight, it was shown as C-GUTV.
Supernatural's Blues Brothers
Dean: Liar. 'Cause I was up at three, and you were watching the George Foreman infomercial.
Sam: Hey, what can I say? It's riveting TV.
George Foreman: Famous heavyweight boxer who is now best known for late night ads where he flogs his electric grill
Dean: Man, I look like one of the Blues Brothers.
The Blues Brothers were a comedic R&B duo comprised of John Belushi and Dan Akroyd that originated on the late night sketch show Saturday Night Live and later made two movies. The pair's usual attire were black and white suits, ties, hats and sunglasses.
Screencaps from 1.04 (top) & 2.14
One of the driving shots during this episode seems to be the same footage used in 2.14 Born Under a Bad Sign.
Sam: Yeah, he told me. It was a poltergeist?

Man: Poltergeist? Man, I loved that movie!

According to DVD commentary by Jared and Jensen, the man's line was added in post-production and was not recorded on-set.
Dean: Yeah, but this goes way beyond floatin' over a bed or barfin' pea soup.
References to the films The Exorcist, in which a little girl is possessed by a demon. Among her afflictions are bed-floating and projectile vomiting. Could also be a reference to Ghostbusters in which a woman is possessed and floats above her bed.
Dean: Miss Walker. Hi, this is Dr. James Hetfield from St. Francis Memorial Hospital.
Another classic/mullet rock star alias: James Hetfield is the lead singer of Metallica.
The episode number, 1.04, is a possible allusion to the famed flight 401, which crashed in the seventies. The ghosts of flight 401 were said to occupy planes that featured parts of the original plane and to help to save those planes on occasion. In this case, the reverse is happening- a demon is inhabiting his originally intended victims and attempting to cause the planes to crash.
Deleted Scene. The deleted scene for this episode is scene 34, according to the on-screen caption before it shows. With much squealing of tires, we see the Impala pull into the car park and Dean gets out. As he starts walking towards the airport, Sam calls him back, reminding him where they are going. Dean walks back to the car, opens the trunk and removes the weapons he had on him. Closing the trunk, Dean claims that he feels naked now.
Dean has a serious fear of flying.
Sam: Yeah, I know what an EMF meter is, but why does that one look like a busted up Walkman?
Walkman is a brand name for the Sony portable personal stereo player.
Brian Markinson who plays Jerry Panowski later appears in 8.08 Hunteri Heroici as Stan Thompson, father of Sam's partner Amelia Richardson

Minutiae

The first flight we see crash was United Britannia Airlines flight 2485, although the official episode description lists the flight as being a TransNational one.
Jyotimena thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Keep postin'
i luv readin these facts!:-D
Ephemera thumbnail
Season 1 episode 5 BLOODY MARY

Filming location: George's Taverna in Steveston, Richmond, Canada (Jess, final scene)
A great deal of the aesthetic of the villain (Bloody Mary) in this episode is taken from the Japanese horror film and American remake, The Ring.
The episode is set in Eric Kripke's hometown - some names of characters in the dialogue are shout-outs to his friends.S1Com,p.37
Filming location: The flight of stairs used when Sam and Dean return from talking to the coroner were used a couple more times in Supernatural, namely in 1.11 Scarecrow and 2.01 In My Time of Dying.
Dean: Do I look like Paris Hilton?
Said while Sam is filming Dean with a camcorder. Most likely Dean was making a reference to Hilton's infamous sex video, which made the rounds on the internet. It's also perhaps a bit of meta, as Hilton and Jared Padalecki worked together in the film House of Wax.
Ironically four years later Paris Hilton appeared in 5.05 Fallen Idols.
Sam reveals that he dreamed of Jess's death before it happened. At the time it was unclear if this was a premonition or simply an unconscious manifestation of his fears about his mother's death. It is later revealed to be related to his powers.
Steven Shoemaker's funeral was on Wednesday 21st November, according to the newspaper Sam was reading.
In Sam's vision of Jess standing in the street she is wearing a long white nightgown.
This is the first episode to feature the starburst clock. Dean takes it off the wall when he is in the process of covering up all the reflective surfaces in the motel room. It shows up in quite a few episodes each season.