Trivia & References
Jensen Ackles cited this episode as his favorite in the premier issue of the Official Supernatural Magazine saying: "I mean, obviously the pilot stands out among all the rest."
At Jus In Bello Italy 2012
Jensen said that the scene where Sam and Dean were in the library together was one of his favorite scenes, because it was the first scene ever filmed. source.
The episode first premiered on Yahoo!TV on 09/06/2005. The pilot could also be seen on the internet weeks before the airing.
The premiere of the Pilot episode ran an extra 7 minutes (9:00 to 10:07 EST), bringing the total run time to 57 minutes.
The episode contains a number of scenes that are mirrored in subsequent episodes.
- 1. In the teaser John hands Sam to Dean and says "take your brother outside as fast as you can, and don't look back". This is repeated in Home when Sam hands Ritchie to his sister Sari and repeats the same words.
- 2. The sequence of Dean breaking into the apartment and wrestling with Sam is repeated in 2.20 What Is and What Should Never Be when, in the wish verse, Sam tackles Dean as he breaks into the family home.
- 3. The exchange when Dean tells Sam he doesn't want to do it alone, is recalled in 7.04 Defending Your Life
- 4. Dean slams Sam against the bridge when he questions the family mission. This is mirrored when Sam does that to Dean in Salvation.
- 5. At the end of the Pilot, there is a shot of Dean and Sam standing over the trunk of the Impala. As Sam tosses a weapon into he trunk he says "we've got work to do" and closes the trunk. At the end of 2.22 All Hell Breaks Loose: Part Two, the scene is replayed with the brother's positions reversed. Dean tosses the Colt into the trunk and says "We've got work to do." In 4.01 Lazarus Rising, when Dean asks Castiel why he was brought back, Castiel responds, "Because we have work for you." In 7.19 Of Grave Importance the line is used by Bobby to explain his presence as a ghost.
A deleted scene (watch
)(contained Season 1 DVD
) shows the reason Dean returned to save Sam from his burning bedroom: his watch stopped, the car radio send static and that's why he turned the car around, sensing something was wrong. Later on, we learn that in the days before the fires, signs crop up in an area, cattle deaths, temperature fluctuations, electrical storms.
Every street referenced in this episode is named after a real street in Eric Kripke
's hometown, Toledo, Ohio.S1Com, p.18
John's motel room is papered with articles. One is about a Cambion
suggested John was speculating on Sam's heritage. Another is about Constance Welch
. The article says a neighbor described Constance as a quiet but very lovely woman. This neighbor is named Deanna Kripke - the name of Eric Kripke's wife
We're not exactly the Bradys.
Friend: And I'm not exactly the Huxtables.
- Sam is referring to the family in the TV show The Brady Bunch, a large patchwork family that stands for the ultimate American middle class family. His friend mentions the Bradys' 80's african-american equivalent from The Cosby Show, the Huxtables.
- It is also possible that Sam is referring to the Brady family from the American soap opera, Days of our Lives, on which Jensen Ackles played Eric Brady.
Dean: [referring to Jessica's t-shirt] I love the Smurfs.
- The Smurfs was a cartoon series about little blue creatures living in mushroom houses in the woods. There was only one female smurf, Smurfette. Some fans believe that Dean, however, is referring not to the smurfs on Jessica's shirt, but to the pair underneath.
So he's working over-time on a "Miller Time" shift; he'll stumble back in sooner or later.
Sam: Yeah, he's just deer hunting up at the cabin and he's probably got Jim, Jack, and Jose along with him. We're just gonna go bring him back.
- All references to alcohol: Miller (beer), Jim Beam (bourbon), Jack Daniels (whiskey), and Jose Cuervo (tequila).
Agents Mulder & Scully
Dean: [to two FBI Agents] Agent Mulder, Agent Scully.
- Fox Mulder and Dana Scully are the two FBI Agents on the popular sci-fi/horror series The X-Files who investigate cases involving paranormal phenomena.
Okay, thank you Unsolved Mysteries
- A TV show that featured re-enactments of unsolved crimes filmed in documentary style, with actors portraying the victims, perpetrators and witnesses. Many of these stories hinted at paranormal phenomenon.
So you want to give us your real name?
Dean: I told you, it's Nugent. Ted Nugent.
- The first of Dean's classic rock star aliases. Also possibly a reference to the movie "Fletch", starring Chevy Chase.
I'm not sure you realize just how much trouble you're in here.
Dean: We talkin', like, misdemeanor kind of trouble, or uh, "squeal like a pig" trouble?
- "Squeal like a pig" is a reference to a scene in the 1972 horror film Deliverance, in which a suburban man is told to "squeal like a pig" then brutally raped by crazed mountain men while on a fishing trip. The scene has been listed as one of the 100 Scariest Movie Moments (#63).See Deliverance for other episodes which have quotes from this movie.
What were you thinking shooting Casper in the face, you freak?
- Title character in the famous cartoon series Casper, the Friendly Ghost in which Casper was, indeed, a friendly ghost, unlike the Woman in White.
Sam scored 174 on his LSAT.
Mary dies on 2nd November 1983.
2nd November is All Souls Day
, also called the Day of the Dead in Mexico
The nursery clock stops at 20:12.
Both Mary and Jess die in exactly the same way. In both cases, they die above Sam's bed.
Dean knows how to pick locks, picking his handcuffs using just a paperclip.
It was assumed by Sam, Dean, and fans that Azazel
was the one who killed Jessica
. However, it was revealed in 5.20 The Devil You Know
that Sam's demon-possessed friend Brady
did the actual killing, albeit on Azazel's instructions.
At the gas station, Sam tosses Dean the Metallica cassette, but it's AC/DC's "Back in Black" that plays.
The Pilot was filmed in March/April of 2005 in L.A.