Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

INDIAN RACISM, SILVER PLAYBOOK (Anupam Kher)!!!!!!

Posted: 11 years ago
😕 Don't get me wrong with the intention of this topic.  I am also posting this in the Debate Mansion and think it deserves to be addressed.  SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK is currently an Oscar-nominated film.  It stars Bradley Cooper and Anupam Kher has a supporting role as Dr. Patel (therapist for Bradley Cooper's character).  I am shocked that no article has talked about the Indian racism in the movie.  There is one scene where all the characters go to a baseball game.  And Anupam Kher shows his love for the Philadelphia Eagles.  Then, these people fight with Anupam's character and his friends saying "Take your Curry back to your Country."  ðŸ˜¡   Even though I am not from India, it was in bad taste and I can't believe Anupam would do a role in a movie that is racist against his country.  Somehow, the scene was unnecessary.  Why would INDIAN RACISM be encouraged in a HOLLYWOOD FILM?  This is not setting a good example and I can't believe why Indians are not outraged.  Please share your thoughts.  Should SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK be boycotted for this one scene of INDIAN RACISM?!!!  ðŸ˜­ Edited by EroticGauravMad - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MakhannMalaai thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Did you see the whole thing.. the point was that one group of people were passing racist comments which is pretty normal happens alot in the US and then there was this other gropu like Bradley and his brother and all who were on Anupam's side and Bradley Cooper's character gets mad when they are misbehaving with him..what is wrong with that? the movie was excellent
Originally posted by: -ChillMahaul-

Did you see the whole thing.. the point was that one group of people were passing racist comments which is pretty normal happens alot in the US and then there was this other gropu like Bradley and his brother and all who were on Anupam's side and Bradley Cooper's character gets mad when they are misbehaving with him..what is wrong with that? the movie was excellent

I saw the whole movie today.  But, I just don't think the scene was needed.  It was kind of cheap.  The movie is excellent, but I can't believe why the media didn't talk about it that much.  ðŸ˜•
youknowme thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I've not seen the movie but I'd be willing to bet that the racist people were shown to be IN THE WRONG within the context of the script.
Either the characters with which the audience is supposed to identify will be seen fighting against, or being critical of the racists in some other way.
No, we do NOT, DARE NOT, unless we want lots of Americans to complain loudly---just insert off hand ignorant, cruel and racist commentss as given, normal and accepted aspects of healthy society.
Any mainstream Hollywood movie only uses racism as a vehicle to display moral reprehensibility.
The context is all generally.
MakhannMalaai thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Originally posted by: EroticGauravMad

I saw the whole movie today.  But, I just don't think the scene was needed.  It was kind of cheap.  The movie is excellent, but I can't believe why the media didn't talk about it that much.  ðŸ˜•

it was totally fine.. They showed it as wrong and that it is still prevalent.. Awareness I'll say
Originally posted by: youknowme

I've not seen the movie but I'd be willing to bet that the racist people were shown to be IN THE WRONG within the context of the script.

Either the characters with which the audience is supposed to identify will be seen fighting against, or being critical of the racists in some other way.
No, we do NOT, DARE NOT, unless we want lots of Americans to complain loudly---just insert off hand ignorant, cruel and racist commentss as given, normal and accepted aspects of healthy society.
Any mainstream Hollywood movie only uses racism as a vehicle to display moral reprehensibility.
The context is all generally.

Anupam Kher was great in the movie.  But, I think the whole purpose of the scene did not flow with the context of the script as you said.  Hollywood does a good job of exaggerating everything to!  This movie has opened up my eyes today!   😊 Blacks and Latinos have the most amount of racism in America, now they show Indian racism for the first time.   
Kal El thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Like others said, the racist people were clearly shown in the wrong. The protagonists, the "good guys", reacted against it. In no way was the movie condoning racism. Quite the opposite.

Edited by Kal El - 11 years ago
-koiza- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

i haven't yet seen the movie

but listening to your point i would make sure i watch it soon

a part from this movie- i generally agree with what you have said here

Nkapoor3 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
As long as the racists are shown in a wrong light I am fine with it!
Amara_B thumbnail
That scene is just showing the (very real) racial tensions in America. I mean I don't live in America but I live in GB and it's normal to have that sort of abuse hurled at you, but it's just as equally normal to have people like Bradley Coopers character stand up for you and fight against racism. In the context of the entire film that scene is actually giving a positive message, i.e. racism is bad.