Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SweetButSpicy thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 17 years ago
Johnny Lever on a Small Screen!!!

Johnny Lever is undisputedly the "king of comedy" in Bollywood today having regaled cinegoers with his unique brand of humour in hundreds of films over the last more than two decades.

Now, in the silver jubilee year of his stint in Bollywood, the "superstar of comedy" Johnny Lever is all set to send TV viewers into splits with his new comedy serial 'Johnny Ala Re', his first ever show on the small screen.

Premiering on Zee TV on June 5 at 2200 hrs, 'Johnny Ala Re' will have Johnny Lever indulge in mimicry, spoofs and meet celebrities in his own style.

To be aired every week from Mondays to Wednesdays at 2200 hrs, the series is being produced by Akashdeep and Sheeba's cinetek telefilms private limited.

Speaking at a press conference in the capital on May 30, 06 to announce the launch of the serial, senior vice president, programming, Zee TV, Ashvini Yardi said the introduction of the comedy series was to consolidate Zee's position as the number two channel in India by strengthening the prime time slot on weekdays which already has 'Saat Phere' at 2100 hrs.

''Till now we have been concentrating on game shows. It is after a long time, nearly four to five years, that we have come up with a comedy show,'' she said.

On the choice of Johnny Lever, she said, ''Johnny Lever is a comedian par excellence. The best part of doing a show with Johnny is that he makes you laugh by just being around. We have also lined up several lively celebrities that go with the flavour of the show.

Johnny will meet them in his own comical manner, ensuring that the audience are in slits, rolling in the aisles.'' On his part, Johnny Lever promised that he would leave no stone unturned in infusing laughter in the lives of TV viewers.

''This is my first series on television. I have wanted to do a TV show for a long time. There have been offers too to do comedy shows on television. For example, ten years ago, Sony approached me to do their show 'Movers and Shakers'. But at that time I was too busy with films to be able to devote time for a TV show that I felt required putting a lot of hard work, more than films. Then few years ago also I received few offers which I turned down for similar reasons,'' Johnny said.
SweetButSpicy thumbnail
Johnny Leverage for Zee

Stand-up comedies
have been a trump card for STAR One, be it 'The Great Indian Comedy Show' or 'The Great Indian Laughter Challenge'. Now Zee plans to follow suit and try its luck in that genre.

While there were quite a few imitative versions of the famous comedian entertaining the viewers in 'The Great Indian Comedy Challenge', Zee has decided to use the original, Johnny Lever himself, in a quest for more viewers. The new show, which will go on air in June 2006, is called 'Johnny Aala Re'.

The show will feature Lever in different avatars in every episode, but putting up a whole act in each one.

No doubt, Zee is keeping its hopes from the show high, considering the fact that artistes such as Lever come for a high price, but the question is whether Zee's effort comes too late?

Close watchers of the industry say that Lever certainly has the capacity to hold viewers for 30 minutes, at least for the initial few episodes.

They are all unanimous about the fact that Lever still has a huge fan following and his 30 minutes of laughs will not go unnoticed or unappreciated.

Quite a few people in the industry are gung-ho about the success of the show. As Praveen Tripathi, CEO, Media Direction, puts it, "If it's Johnny Lever, it's bound to work."

But Tripathi also puts in a word of caution. "The show has to be supported with good scripts to sustain itself in the long run," he says.

He adds, "Although there are quite a few comedy shows running on television, there is still a dearth of good comedy."

Amin Lakani, director, CTG, Group M, concurs with Tripathi. He says, "The real task for Zee would be to continuously reinvent and redesign the content so as to surpass the benchmark set by STAR One's 'Laughter Challenge'. Mere imitation of actors might not work for a long time, which is why avoiding monotony is of key importance."

Speaking in terms of the reach and audience the show will acquire, Premjeet Sodhi, senior V-P, Lintas Media Group, asserts, "Zee has a wide reach and, so, getting the initial viewers will not be difficult. Moreover, a leading comedian like Lever will draw audiences. So, even if Zee is a late entrant, it will find an audience."

Apart from its on-air promos, Zee has not promoted 'Johny Aala Re…' very aggressively. The reason, as the media planners speculate, is the unique format of the show, which does not need outright promotion; mere word-of-mouth will suffice.

On whether it will usher in the numbers for Zee in terms of channel share, Tripathi explains, "This one show cannot do wonders for Zee. It will get an initial sampling, but may not elevate Zee's share. It can definitely hold audiences around that time band and create awareness about shows before and after 'Johnny Aala Re...'"

Well, surely that means that till Lever runs out of jokes, Zee can leverage on his popularity!

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Where has Swetta disappeared?
Wonder why you haven't been seeing more of social animal Swetta Keswani partying hard lately? That's because she has been working hard — networking and scouting for good work. "I am on the lookout for some interesting roles, hoping something good comes my way." Meanwhile, Keswani is excited about her film, The Memsaheb, being screened at the Stony Brooke Film Festival. "It's a great moment for everyone involved in the film. I wish I could go attend it, but I also have my play opening on July 26."
Titled Fragile, the play deals with last year's deluge on 26/7.
SweetButSpicy thumbnail

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Gup shup: By Sneha Hazarika

After following Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi and Kahanii Ghar Ghar Kii successfully with shows like Kasamh Se and Saat Phere, Zee is now concentrating on getting their supposed laugh riot Johny Aala Re follow the footsteps of Star's super successful show The Great Indian Laughter Challenge.

Johny Aala Re was launched with a lot of fanfare and was expected to break all earlier records, but unfortunately, failed to tickle the funny bones of audiences. While on the other hand, The Great Indian Laughter Challenge continues to entertain viewers, even in its second run. So, the makers of Johny Aala Re have decided to get 'inspired' and increase the frequency of its segment called Main Bhi Johny to twice a week from the current once a week format.

The segment in question has the similarity with TGILC in the sense that it calls upon the common man to send in their entries by post and if selected they get the chance to perform on the show. Seeing the success of TGILC, JAR is confident of increasing its TRPs as well.  

"We are increasing the frequency because of popular demand," Johny Lever gets defensive when compared with the rival show. "They (viewers) want to see this popular segment more often and we have been receiving a load of e-mails.  It proves there are a lot of talented people in the country. It's a unique platform to showcase one's talent."

He further says that there is no similarity between his show and TGILC. "There are a lot of differences between the two. The Great Indian Laughter Challenge is based completely on competition, while ours is just a segment where in we call other people to come and participate," retorts the comic anchor. Whatever may the truth be, one thing is for sure that with Main Bhi Johny, Johhny himself will have tough competition within his own show!

SweetButSpicy thumbnail

Johnny Lever
Comedy is serious business
Mansee Dabral, MovieTalkies.com, 21st July 2006

He is either making you laugh, or will find something amusing in what you have to say. We don't think that grin ever leaves funny man Johnny Lever even in his sleep, and when we quizzed him on the same, he does the inevitable: Laugh some more! The man who will put you in a good mood, no matter what, here's some of his enthusiasm rubbing off, when we caught up with him on his whirlwind schedule. Excerpts:

Comedy has taken a whole new dimension than what it was when you started off. What has the transition been like as an actor?

Like they say, it is easy to make people cry, but equally difficult to make them laugh, that is something that I think hasn't changed at all! (Laughs) But seriously, you are right. Comedy is definitely not what it use to be once upon a time. People want entertainment and comedy today plays an important part of that entertainment. Comedy is serious business.

It is said that Abbas- Mustan consider you their lucky mascot?

(Smiles) Is it? Well, what can I say, they have given me some of the most memorable films of my career, and if anything, it is they who are my lucky mascots rather than it being the other way round. (Smiles)

So what is your role like in 36 China Town?

I love this role of mine! It has given me an opportunity to express comedy, which forms a very important part of the main subject of the film, which you will realize when you see the movie.

Now we are going to ask you the most important question of the interview, and you HAVE to tell us: who is the killer in the movie?!

(Laughs Uncontrollably!) I wish I could, but I just can't.

Ok an easy one this time, what's your take the latest kid on the block, Upen Patel?

Oh! He's no kid at all! (Smiles). He is a very hard working and talented boy, and has given it his best shot for 36 China Town. Wait and watch out for his performance.

And give us one good reason to go watch 36 China Town, besides the fact that you are in it?

That's the only way you are getting to know who that killer of yours is! (Smiles)

SweetButSpicy thumbnail
Johnny makes a easter special

Easter was a bright day for some 1200 inmates of Thane prison, a little away from Mumbai. An NGO called Freedom Foundatin had organized a show with comedian Johnny Lever. The man is absolutely brilliant. From fantastic take-offs on actors to jokes to gently telling the prisoners why it was important to lead better lives, everything that he said was being lapped up by the men. Now if there were more celebs like him to spread the good word around.
SweetButSpicy thumbnail
Johny Lever and Pankaj Udhas pray for India

What's with Pankaj Udhas these days? After ghazals, has he moved on to pop? Actually, he has just done a new album called Pray For India (P4I) with the singer-composer and producer of the album Anil Kant and star comedian, Johny Lever. This is the first time ever that Johny Lever is actually singing for an album. The lyrics of the track go like this, "Tera India, Mera India, Apna India, Pray for India..." Egad. But Anil says, "This album and the title song are a symbol of fun, comedy and prayer. I want that people see prayer not only as a spiritual experience but also as a happy time. Pankaj Udhas stands for seriousness, Johny Lever for fun and I symbolize the spiritual. I have done three other albums, all spiritual, before this." He adds that Jagjit Singh also features in this album. Cool na?
SweetButSpicy thumbnail
Johnny Lever (born John Rao on in amkam village in the Prakasam district of Andhra Pradesh, India) is an actor in Bollywood known as a comedian of great regard who has appeared in dozens of films since the 1980s. Born on January 7 1950.

Biography

Johnny started off as a comedian in real life while still at school. His beginnings as a comedian in his village were mainly comprised of imitations of his teachers, his father and his grandfather. He could not study much though and dropped out of school when he was in 7th Grade.

He ventured into stand up comedy at the age of 10. He got a job at Hindustan Lever, Mumbai, for 5-6 years and used to amuse his colleagues with stand-up comedy. As he started doing on-stage comedy, he took the Lever part from the company's This gave him the pseudonym he is better known by – Johnny Lever.

His first break in Indian cinema was in the movie Dard Ka Rishta, thanks to the late Sunil Dutt, who saw him perform at a charity show organised by Kalyanji-Anandji. Since then, Johnny has worked in more than 160 films.

He is as good on-stage as he is in his films. He picks up examples from daily life and finds the funny side in all of them. His stage presence is something that all others can only dream of. With his short height and facial expressions, he creates an aura, an atmosphere that is filled with only one thing - laughter.

He is much grieved by the fact that comedy roles are not written as part of the film. This responsibility is often left for the comedian who has to make up a good script for himself. He feels that this requires time and time is what he considers precious. His idols are Johnny Walker, Mehmood, Kishore Kumar and Jagdeep

Even though he mimics so many people, he has a style of his own which makes him unique. As a person, he is very close to his family that comprises of his wife and one child.

SweetButSpicy thumbnail
Do you know John Rao from Kamkam village in the Prakasam district of Andhra Pradesh? Probably not.

But the name of Johny Lever, comedian extraordinaire, will surely ring a bell, if not wring a few smiles out of the most morose person.

Johny Lever is Bollywood's most sought-after comedian, with sold-out comedy shows across India and roles in several plum projects. He has become an essential part of every film today.

No film is complete without Johny Lever. He may be earning crores of rupees today, but has not forgotten his roots: He still goes to the jhopadpatti he lived in at King Circle.

So it all started in the bylanes of his village, and then in school where he would imitate his school teachers. Of course, like all kids, Johnny loved movies while growing up, though he was not allowed to see that many.

He started doing stand up comedy at the age of 10 years. Though Johny dropped out of school after Class VII, he got a job at Hindustan Lever, Mumbai, for 5-6 years and regaled his colleagues with stand-up comedy.

When the time came to perform on stage, he decided to retain the Lever bit and it caught on.

He got his first break in the movie Dard Ka Rishta, after the late Sunil Dutt saw him perform at a charity show organised by Kalyanji-Anandji.Though Johny has his own style, he draws inspiration from the late Johnny Walker,
Mehmood, Kishore Kumar and Jagdeep.

Johnny says he holds the role he played in Baazigar closest to his heart, because he feels that the audience saw him as an actor of substance.

He adds that he likes to work with directors who give him something new, something fresh and challenging and does not hesitate in turning down those who want him in their movies just because his name sells.

With his short stature, dark skin and a passion for mimicking people, this southern star does not quite fit the larger-than-life illusions Bollywood spins.

But Johnny Lever can not only carry an entire movie on his shoulders, but also attract sold-out crowds to his one-man stage shows.

At a show in Atlanta, Johny brought the house down with his impersonations of Michael Jackson and his spoof of Indians in the United States: 'You have a $3 billion budget for flyovers here? Our bribe budget exceeds that!'

He has an incredibly mobile face, a lithe body that he can still contort into incredible shapes, and is often touted as the Jim Carrey of India.

Johny Lever is the undisputed comedy king of Bollywood films and wants his son Jesse to continue his legacy.

You will soon see him in movies like Ek Haseena, Ek Deewana,Phir Hera Pheri and Saawan:The Love Season.

And of course, on your Television screen! Johny Aala Re airs only on Zee TV Monday to Wednesday at 10 pm.

SweetButSpicy thumbnail
Johnny Lever
(Actor)

Johnny Lever Filmography

Padmashree Laloo Prasad Yadav ( Sunil Shetty, Mahesh Manjrekar, Johnny Lever, Masumeh Makhija)
Tera Jadoo Chal Gaya ( Abhishek Bachchan, Kirti Reddy, Johnny Lever)
Kunwara ( Govinda, Urmila Matondkar, Johnny Lever)
Chori Chori Chupke Chupke ( Salman Khan, Rani Mukherjee, Preity Zinta, Johnny Lever)
Love Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega ( Saif Ali Khan, Fardeen Khan, Aftab Shivdasani, Twinkle Khanna, Sonali Bendre, Johnny Lever)
Ajnabee ( Bobby Deol, Kareena Kapoor, Akshay Kumar, Bipasha Basu, Johnny Lever)
Baadshah ( Shah Rukh Khan, Twinkle Khanna, Rakhee Gulzar, Amrish Puri, Johnny Lever)
Khoobsurat ( Urmila Matondkar, Sanjay Dutt, Paresh Rawal, Johnny Lever, Om Puri)
Joru Ka Gulam ( Govinda, Twinkle Khanna, Kader Khan, Johnny Lever, Ashok Saraf)