Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

spoiledbrat thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Do you know John Rao from Kamkam village in the Prakasam district of Andhra Pradesh? Probably not.

But the name of Johny Lever, comedian extraordinaire, will surely ring a bell, if not wring a few smiles out of the most morose person.

Johny Lever is Bollywood's most sought-after comedian, with sold-out comedy shows across India and roles in several plum projects. He has become an essential part of every film today.

No film is complete without Johny Lever. He may be earning crores of rupees today, but has not forgotten his roots: He still goes to the jhopadpatti he lived in at King Circle.

So it all started in the bylanes of his village, and then in school where he would imitate his school teachers. Of course, like all kids, Johnny loved movies while growing up, though he was not allowed to see that many.

He started doing stand up comedy at the age of 10 years. Though Johny dropped out of school after Class VII, he got a job at Hindustan Lever, Mumbai, for 5-6 years and regaled his colleagues with stand-up comedy.

When the time came to perform on stage, he decided to retain the Lever bit and it caught on.

He got his first break in the movie Dard Ka Rishta, after the late Sunil Dutt saw him perform at a charity show organised by Kalyanji-Anandji.Though Johny has his own style, he draws inspiration from the late Johnny Walker,
Mehmood, Kishore Kumar and Jagdeep.

Johnny says he holds the role he played in Baazigar closest to his heart, because he feels that the audience saw him as an actor of substance.

He adds that he likes to work with directors who give him something new, something fresh and challenging and does not hesitate in turning down those who want him in their movies just because his name sells.

With his short stature, dark skin and a passion for mimicking people, this southern star does not quite fit the larger-than-life illusions Bollywood spins.

But Johnny Lever can not only carry an entire movie on his shoulders, but also attract sold-out crowds to his one-man stage shows.

At a show in Atlanta, Johny brought the house down with his impersonations of Michael Jackson and his spoof of Indians in the United States: 'You have a $3 billion budget for flyovers here? Our bribe budget exceeds that!'

He has an incredibly mobile face, a lithe body that he can still contort into incredible shapes, and is often touted as the Jim Carrey of India.

Johny Lever is the undisputed comedy king of Bollywood films and wants his son Jesse to continue his legacy.

You will soon see him in movies like Ek Haseena, Ek Deewana,Phir Hera Pheri and Saawan:The Love Season.

And of course, on your Television screen! Johny Aala Re airs only on Zee TV Monday to Wednesday at 10 pm.

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
circle of life: Johny Lever pic/ sujit jaiswal

Johny didn't come lately
Almost 25 years ago, when Johny Lever was still a newcomer, he performed in front of the late Dhirubhai Ambani and his sons Mukesh and Anil at a Reliance event. Mukesh and Anil were youngsters, but Lever still remembers them laughing in delight at his wisecracks. Lever is nostalgic about this encounter with the Ambanis because today Akashdeep's show Johny Ala Re on Zee — in which the funster enthralls — has Reliance as a sponsor of the show. Talk about coming full circle.

SweetButSpicy thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Johny Lever's Reliance Story

Reliance, which staged a Johnny Lever show 25 years ago, is now sponsoring 'Johnny Ala Re!', which come on Zee TV. Both the brothers are happily sharing the responsibility, tension in their relationship notwithstanding.

'Johnny Ala Re!' is not just watched in India but also in Britain, the US and Dubai.

Apart from Ambani brothers the list of Johny's fans includes sisters Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhosle.

SweetButSpicy thumbnail

Johnny's 'Reliance Connection'

Johny Lever
There is not much common now between Anil and Mukesh Ambani, but whats still remained intact is their love for Johnny Lever.

Our sources confirmed that the Ambani office had staged a Johnny Lever show 25 years ago wherein he was one of the artists for the Reliance show and guess what... today Reliance is the title sponsor of 'Johnny Ala Re!'.

Well...Doesn't this just prove that Reliance stays true to its name always? Also this show is not just most watched in India but also in UK, USA and Dubai. The list of fans also includes the Mangheskar sisters, Lataji and Ashaji. With such hilarity on the show, who would miss it, not we for sure!

SweetButSpicy thumbnail

Johny Aala Re !, Aala Re !!
Johny Lever hates to be taken for granted. What makes him angry is when the director, producer and scriptwriter depend on him to come up with a comic scene on the sets, and that too at the last minute.

"'Aap to comedian ho Johnyji, aap handle kar lo na' (You are a comedian, you can handle it) they say and just throw their hands up and I fall into a fix not knowing what to do at the last minute. The worst part is when things have to be done at the last minute which makes me tense and I am just not able to think at all. This happened with me when I was shooting for Anari No. 1. The film was being produced by Aruna Irani. I got a call from Kuku Kohli to come up with a comic scene as I was to shoot the next day. I was in Chennai then shooting for some film.," he confesses.

"I told them 'Set pe dekhlenge yaar,' (I will see it on the sets). Later that day, I was watching television and I happened to see Daler Mehndi singing Tuk, tuk. The next day when I reached the sets of Anari No. 1, I told them what I was going to do and I mimicked Daler Mehndi. It just happened instantly on the set. In fact there was no such scene in the script. When I had to dub the lines, I had to look at the scene and read my lips to know what I had said when the scene was being canned. And when I saw the film, I laughed my guts out. In fact, the Daler Mehndi scene turned out be the highlight. Later, I heard that Mehndi was absolutely miffed with me. 'Yeh kya kar diya,' (What have you done?) he said. I had no choice. It was the only thing I could come up with at the last minute," he further confesses.

Lever adds that today, comedy films rule the box office. There was a time when he was told to pack his bags because directors said that there would be no scope for comedians in Hindi films.

When asked if he felt threatened because lead actors had turned to doing comic roles, Lever replies, "I guess it's a phase. As I said I was told to pack my bags and I survived. I shall survive this also. I have carved a niche for myself over the years and nobody can replace me."

shruti thumbnail

Gup shup

Johny Lever is one actor who never fails to surprise us. And that's what happened recently on the sets of his laugh-riot Johny Aala Re where he was dressed up as an eunuch for a particular gag. What followed was a hilarious situation wherein one of the unit members actually thought he was an eunuch and started throwing him out of the sets.

"Johnybhai was dressed up exactly like an eunuch and even his body language was complementing his get-up," says a production hand. "What surprised us was the fact that it was a regular unit member who couldn't recognise him."

Anyways, the person in question calmed down only when he was made to believe that it is none other than Johny Lever. Sources further let us know that the gag was a part of an act wherein Johny Lever (as eunuch) was to get into a flight and create havoc. They were to start singing in their unique style, even in the flight making sure their passengers have a rollicking time on-board. We are not sure whether the passengers had a rollicking time on-board or not, but unit members definitely had a hearty laugh on the sets.

SweetButSpicy thumbnail

Johnny Lever

Johnny Lever Photo GalleryPersonal Profile (Personal Biography)
Original Name:  Johnny Rao
Nick Name:  Lallu
Eye Color:  Black
Hair Color:  Black
Birth Place:  Andhrapradesh
Religion:  Christian
Education:  Andhra Educational Society
Marital Status:  Married
Languages:  Hindi, English
Contact Address:  R 303 Marvel, Shashtri Nagar Hsg. Soc., Near Lokhandawala Complex, Andheri (W), Mumbai 400 053

Family Background
Spouse:  Sujata
Son:  Jesse

Film Background (Filmography)
Debut Film:  Kunwara
Famous Movies (Hit Movies):  Deewane Huye Pagal, Ek Haseena Ek Deewana, Padmashree Laloo Prasad Yadav, Hatya, Meri Biwi Ka Jawaab Nahin, Janasheen, Market, Koi Mil Gaya, Chalte Chalte, Andaaz, Indian Babu, Kucch To Hai, Chalo Ishq Ladaaye, Karz, Ankhiyon Se Goli Maare, Humraaz, Awara Paagal Deewana, Tumko Na Bhool Paayenge, Yeh Dil Aashiqanaa, Aamdani Atthanni Kharcha Rupaiya, Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, Ajnabee, Lajja, Asoka, Nayak, Chori Chori Chupke Chupke, Aashiq, Farz, Raju Chacha, Beti No.1, Shikari, Fiza, Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai, Tera Jadoo Chal Gayaa, Deewane, Joru Ka Ghulam, Hum To Mohabbat Karega, Dil Hi Dil Mein, Hadh Kar Di Aapne, Badal, Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani, Dulhan Hum Le Jayenge, Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai, Mela, Krodh
Latest Movies:  Deewane Huye Pagal
Upcoming Movies:  Saawan: The Love Season
Film Awards:  Comedy Award for Love Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega
Other Facts:  In the begining Johnny Lever worked for Hindustan Lever Limited after which

Favourites
Favourite Actor:  Johnny Walker, Mehmood Sahib, Kishore Kumar Sahib and Jagdeep Sahib
SweetButSpicy thumbnail

Do you know John Rao from Kamkam village in the Prakasam district of Andhra Pradesh? Probably not.

But the name of Johny Lever, comedian extraordinaire, will surely ring a bell, if not wring a few smiles out of the most morose person.

Johny Lever is Bollywood's most sought-after comedian, with sold-out comedy shows across India and roles in several plum projects. He has become an essential part of every film today.

No film is complete without Johny Lever. He may be earning crores of rupees today, but has not forgotten his roots: He still goes to the jhopadpatti he lived in at King Circle.

So it all started in the bylanes of his village, and then in school where he would imitate his school teachers. Of course, like all kids, Johnny loved movies while growing up, though he was not allowed to see that many.

He started doing stand up comedy at the age of 10 years. Though Johny dropped out of school after Class VII, he got a job at Hindustan Lever, Mumbai, for 5-6 years and regaled his colleagues with stand-up comedy.

When the time came to perform on stage, he decided to retain the Lever bit and it caught on.

He got his first break in the movie Dard Ka Rishta, after the late Sunil Dutt saw him perform at a charity show organised by Kalyanji-Anandji.Though Johny has his own style, he draws inspiration from the late Johnny Walker,
Mehmood, Kishore Kumar and Jagdeep.

Johnny says he holds the role he played in Baazigar closest to his heart, because he feels that the audience saw him as an actor of substance.

He adds that he likes to work with directors who give him something new, something fresh and challenging and does not hesitate in turning down those who want him in their movies just because his name sells.

With his short stature, dark skin and a passion for mimicking people, this southern star does not quite fit the larger-than-life illusions Bollywood spins.

But Johnny Lever can not only carry an entire movie on his shoulders, but also attract sold-out crowds to his one-man stage shows.

At a show in Atlanta, Johny brought the house down with his impersonations of Michael Jackson and his spoof of Indians in the United States: 'You have a $3 billion budget for flyovers here? Our bribe budget exceeds that!'

He has an incredibly mobile face, a lithe body that he can still contort into incredible shapes, and is often touted as the Jim Carrey of India.

Johny Lever is the undisputed comedy king of Bollywood films and wants his son Jesse to continue his legacy.

You will soon see him in movies like Ek Haseena, Ek Deewana,Phir Hera Pheri and Saawan:The Love Season.

And of course, on your Television screen! Johny Aala Re airs only on Zee TV Monday to Wednesday at 10 pm.

SweetButSpicy thumbnail
Johnny in a Magic Show in Fiji!!

STARDOM Entertainers are promising the best and fun filled magic show for the

family when it brings over a host of entertainers for seven shows around the country.

Called The Greatest Magic Show From India, the promoters have promised the night to be one filled with fun and magic.

The two-hour show will be filled with illusionary acts, conjuring acts and a bevy of female assistants with brightly coloured and eye-catching costumes.

The magician K.S. Ramesh is known in film, advertising, entertainment and theatre circles.

Apart from being a professional filmmaker, he is also an actor, events designer and magician well-known not only in India but in other countries as well. He worked on the special effects aspect of Jadugar, a movie starring Amitabh Bachchan.

Other films where he worked on special effects were Pushpak, King Uncle, Kaho Na Pyaar Hai, Malgudi Days and Tenali Rama.

Stardom Entertainers brought a group of artists, including singer Kunal Ganjawala with Shefali, a pop dancing queen and popular comedian Johnny Lever.

The group has been known as an organiser for concerts and events in Australia.

and in the South Pacific.

shruti thumbnail
Johny Does a Nagin Dance

Johny Lever just doesn't stop creating new and imaginative gags and spoofs and manages to find a gag on every topic under the sun! This week, Johny Aala Re has viewers all set to meet Rabri Devi at her utmost best, to be scared by a Nagin dance, and watch Bihari Babus and lads from Haryana try to make it in Mumbai! And if that is not enough for your plate, Johny is making the little ones roll in their seats by enacting a 10 year old child! Also adding to this plethora of laughs is the popular segment Main Bhi Johny, wherein new comic talent gets their day in the sunshine next to the comedy King.

Produced by Cinetek Telefilms Pvt Ltd, the show is also giving the chance to visit the behind-the-scenes happenings of film production with gags on Producers and the film people. The show pans the local flavor with spoofs on recent blood donation campaigns which have been going on in the city and a hilarious stint on astrology, all guaranteeing uncontrollable laughter.