Diya Aur Baati Hum

The culture, customs and society...

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

Deepika_bigfan

Deepika_bigfan

Posted: 17 January 2013 at 11:06pm | IP Logged
Traditionally speaking, it is the responsibility of the son to obey his mother. So it is no shock some one who takes this laterally walked into water.

What I did not understand is the role of father /husband in this set-up.

Again traditionally speaking, it is also the responsibility of son to obey his father (more then mother? I don't know). So why Suraj did not stop when Bhabhasa asked him to stop from going into water?Confused There is no logical answer, only an emotional answer that Suraj is more emotionally attached to his mother than father since childhood. So it emotions over dharm here.

Once again traditionally speaking, a wife is to obey her husband as much as a son has to obey his parents. How come Bhabho, who is the epitome of traditions, doesn't obey when Bhabhasa asked her to tell Suraj to stop?Confused

The only logical answer could be if Rajasthan business families are strongly Matriarchial.
Is it the case? 

The way Bhabho treats Bhabhasa with disdain also points to this.
Somebody who has the knowledge, please throw some light on this.

Edited by skavuri - 18 January 2013 at 7:22pm

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

b2011Samsangeetha-SamiR-UMDU-Jamy-ll-Bliss-ll-Liebe-

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "The culture, customs and society..." in Diya Aur Baati Hum forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

-SamiR-

Goldie

-SamiR-

Posted: 17 January 2013 at 11:23pm | IP Logged
You have raised some good points. Unfortunately I don't have much knowledge of Rajasthani traditions; I would also like to know the answers to the questions you raised.

As for my tradition, we have been taught that a mother takes precedence over the father. If this is the case for the traditions of Rathis, then I guess Suraj's behavior is easily justified.

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

preeti73Deepika_bigfanb2011UMDUll-Bliss-ll-Liebe-

UMDU

IF-Dazzler

UMDU

Posted: 17 January 2013 at 11:40pm | IP Logged
Nice points Skavuri. Except a few places like some states of North east, among some castes in Kerala and a few tribes, India is basically patriarchal. This story is about a Marwari family from Pushkar. Marwaris also like rest of India follow the patriarchal system. In fact Rajasthan the state, where Pushkar is located has wide prevalence of female foeticide. As far as this story is concerned Bhabasa gave up working a long time ago first due to illness and later due to laziness. The reins of the house was taken over by Bhabo who along with her elder son stirred the family out of  an acute financial crisis. Since Bhabasa left her to fend for herself with four children in tow, Bhabo feels betrayed and does not respect him. In the traditional setup the man earns and the woman manages the house. Here Bhabasa did not fulfill his responsibility. Ideally when the elder son attains adulthood he is supposed to take over. Bhabo being egoistic has not allowed that to happen and has not conceded an inch. She considers herself to be the head of the Rathi family hierarchy  and anybody defying her has to face her wrath. The sons also believe in the same hegemony and do not really believe in listening to their father if his pronouncements are contrary to what Bhabo has said. Yesterday for the first time we found Bhabasa asserting himself. However how long the euphoria will last is a million dollar question.

Edited by UMDU - 17 January 2013 at 11:38pm

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

sjnppreeti73Deepika_bigfanb2011-SamiR-Samsangeethall-Bliss-ll-Liebe-

-Jamy-

IF-Rockerz

-Jamy-

Posted: 18 January 2013 at 12:08am | IP Logged
Sensible question. I really don't know any answers. But I like to point out some things.
Sooraj went to water because he wanted to prove he still loves Bhabho. Thats what she asked him to do. That was a matter of trust than tradition and emotions. He felt guilty for he made a mistake and he wanted to prove himself trustworthy for his mother in any way that could make her believe.
Bhabho, though always keeps lamenting many things at Baabasa, never has been disrespectful towards him. She has accepted him whenever he pointed out her mistakes. She may not show it everytime. But she is doing it silently. still she keeps ranting at him only for his irrational eating behaviours.

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

preeti73Deepika_bigfanb2011Samsangeetha-SamiR--RumelaDawn-ll-Bliss-ll-Liebe-

ShahSantosh143

ShahSantosh143

Posted: 18 January 2013 at 12:21am | IP Logged
Skavuri u hv banged on target. The qustion which u araised is absolutely correct. good thinking , nice post

Edited by ShahSantosh143 - 18 January 2013 at 12:18am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Deepika_bigfanKimkudosb2011ll-Bliss-ll

Deepika_bigfan

Deepika_bigfan

Posted: 18 January 2013 at 7:31pm | IP Logged

Changed the title of the thread from "Matriarchial Family?" to make it more generic.

I am so eager to learn about Rajashtan while watching the serial. I would like to learn more (I hope there are other members like me!). I hope I could visit Rajasthan one day and go to Pushkar. (I know Hanuman Gali exists only in Studio!)

My query  for today:
They showed Diwali, Christmas and then jumped to Republic Day.
Is Sankranthi not an important festival in Rajasthan? Or it was deliberately omitted, without any particular reason beacause every festival cannot be shown?

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

b2011UMDU

UMDU

IF-Dazzler

UMDU

Posted: 18 January 2013 at 8:02pm | IP Logged
Makar Sankranti is very much celebrated in most parts of India and Rajasthan is no exception.It is called Makar Sakrat there. Like most states, on that day Rajasthanis also worship the Sun God. They also like in most of North India make sweets from sesame seeds. The famous Jaipur kite festival in which colourful kites are flown in the air to mark the occasion attracts many to the state. . In fact kite flying is done in the neighbouring state of Gujarat as well. It is an established practise in Western India. In this serial they have panicked after drop in TRPS and lose of first position, so they are rushing to gain the lost ground, skipping festivals and giving us a number of bloopers.  So the answer to your question is , the festival is very much celebrated in Rajasthan and the answer to the second question is they have skipped it to rush ahead with the story. You should definitely visit this state as each city has something different to offer. The cities I would recommend are Jaipur, Udaipur, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Mt.Abu and Ajmer. Pushkar is a very small town and if you are a Hindu you can see the only Brahma temple in India here and take a holy dip in the famous lake. Pushkar is also famous for the annual Mela which is called Pushkar Mela, where livestock that is animals including camels are brought and sold. There is a very interesting temple in Rajasthan known as the Karni mata temple between Jodhpur and Bikaner. This temple is full of rats. While walking they will be every where. You feel very creepy but they don't bite you. Even while doing pradakshina they will be with you .It is a unique experience.

Edited by UMDU - 19 January 2013 at 5:06am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

preeti73Deepika_bigfanb2011Samsangeetha

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.