Posted: 18 January 2013 at 1:45am | IP Logged
Harshal, I do not comment on the forum for reasons of my own...but today, your post has forced me to break my silence...
Each and every word of your post is spot on...despite your love for the show, you have attempted to take a good, hard look at it and understand the reasons for its recent failure in terms of TRPs...first of all, let me congratulate you for this attempt...it requires a logical, clinical and an unbiased mind to attempt this...you clearly have that...kudos to you
I am not a fan of any of the actors of this show...with the exception of MB and AN, I have never seen any of these actors ever before..so I do not feel the need to justify any of the actors, whether it is MB, Sharad or Krithika Kamra...I am not interested in any of them...except as the characters they play...their personal likes, dislikes and preferences are irrelevant to me...I just thought to say this upfront so no remark is taken as against any one actor...
1. Story - Where is it? I have not seen a semblance of a strong storyline in a long time..they are simply going around in circles...without a clue as to where to go next..
2. Sub plots- This also needs to go on the missing list...the show has always had a problem on this...they have never had strong or effective subplots...I thought the Ranga- Anjie sub plot would actually make for good drama on two occasions...one when they had Ranga moving into the solanki household...but they missed the opportunity there...and then again, with the Anjie baby track...but they simply used it as a means to get Khushi out of the Mathur household...so opportunity wasted both times!
3. Baby track - We can talk about this till the cows come home. Is there any point even though? The Khushi track was supposed to be a means to lead to this track and we all know what happened. Nidhi's professional track was brought in to avoid this track. But, that has been the weakest track in the show. Instead of having hard hitting drama, we saw comedy being played out. The baby issue can never be buried. It is going to come back to bite them how much ever hard they try.
4. No show has been known to survive in the long term without a baby track,...Yeh Rishtha, Rajan Shahi's own show, had a baby track right in the second year, even though it ended in an MC...now of course, both the leads and the second leads have children...BALH has literally been resurrected by a little child...whether we like them or not, children are guaranteed TRP earners...shows are watched by families...and they like seeing children...that is a given fact!
5.Yes, the show has not had strong antagonists...no denying that...although, shows like Yeh Ristha have done very well without an antagonist...but then. they have so many characters and so many sub plots
6. The professional track has not been well handled at all.. it has been either illogical or silly...
7. On motherhood, I really do not want to say anything, Harshal...I am an aunty...so that should say it all!
8. TRP- It is all very well to say TRPs make no sense, they are not the right indicators, they don't matter, KTLK is above TRPs and all that...but beyond a point, this is just being delusional...because the TRPs will come into play sooner or later...how long can a vehicle run on empty...and much as we like to make fun of the high TRP earners, let us not imagine that everyone who watches such shows is a fool...there must be something in those shows that makes the viewers glued to them...it is not just about regressive saas-bahu saazish or negativity...Yeh Ristha has neither and the show has been running for four years...so, I think we really need to think on where this show is going wrong rather than calling the viewers of other shows as regressive or stupid..I know alcohol and po*n sell...but TV is for family audiences...and these shows are not soft po*n...so, there is some element in them that appeals to viewers that KTLK simply does not have...
Yes, promos are at an alltime low...but what about the loyal audience? Why are they dropping out now? Surely, it is not because they don't know the show exists!
But when the writer of this show is so blind to all these realities, and offers stupid excuses for bloopers and pretends that his show is so superior that the masses cannot comprehend it, then there is no hope left...the first step towards getting better is to acknowledge the problem...I don't know about the others...but the writers clearly think they are doing a great job...good for them is all I can say!
Lastly, I am not a high brow intellectual nor a pseudo intellectual nor a mediocre viewer...I do not believe in fixing tags to myself or to people around me...I enjoy watching Salman Khan and Sooraj Barjatya as much as I enjoy watching Ray or Benegal or any of the American or European master filmmakers...!