8X10 Torn and Frayed Written Update

Posted: 11 years ago

I'm still trying to wrap my heard around what I saw.  So comments will come later, but there are a couple of things I can say.  1) The Winchesters' lovers are going to be both disappointed and happy as the boys continue to fight but we do see them calling a truce eventually.  2) All of you like me who love the light-hearted banter and humor in Supernatural are going to be sorely disappointed.  The writer tried to give us a couple of light moments through Castiel and his continued unfamiliarity with humanity but overall the episode was pretty dark.

Anyway, off to the update - the episode starts off with a little recap of Dean's round trip to purgatory, his friendship with Benny the vampire, Sam's relationship with Amelia, Castiel's return from purgatory and his conversations with Naomi, and the continuously growing rift between Sam and Dean.

Then we see a tortured Samandriel, the adorable angel Alfie who first appeared at the auction, willing a spiky pin to come out of his skull.  It is implied that Crowley continued his torture on him in the abandoned warehouse where we last saw him.  Samandriel tries to contact Naomi to tell him that he has been captured by Crowley and to ask for help.  In the meantime, a demon I've never seen before (whose name is later on revealed to be Vigo) returns and accuses him of trying to contact Heaven. Then he pushes the spiky pin back in Samandriel's brain.

Dean shows up at Sam's motel room in Texas and tries to apologize for misleading him about Amelia, though he stands by his belief that Benny was innocent and Martin left him no other option. Sam still can't understand how Dean can believe a vampire to be the victim in this case.  Dean asks Sam "what now?" and Sam says that that depends on whether or not he's through with Benny to which Dean replies he doesn't know.  Unable to make each other understand their point of views, Sam and Dean seem to decide to do their own thing for the time being and Dean leaves.

A lady is sitting in a playground holding her crying baby.  Cas appears and tells her that the doctor hasn't been able to find out what exactly the baby's suffering from and he cures the baby.  At that moment, he is summoned by Naomi who orders him to rescue Samandriel.  Cas tells her that he will need help, which Naomi agrees with on the condition that he reveal the rescue mission as his idea only.

Castiel finds Dean in a cabin in Nebraska and tells him about the situation.  Dean agrees to help rescue "Heaven's most adorable angel."  Cas inquires about Sam to which Dean replies that he's gone.  Back in Texas, Sam finds Amelia at his motel door.  He apologizes for coming back in her life but he just had to make sure that she was okay.  He offers to get out of her life but they end up sharing a kiss.

Back at the warehouse, Vigo continues torturing Samandriel by pushing spiky pins in his brain.  One of the pins leads him to involuntarily chant in Enochian and set fire to a bush outside.  Dean and Cas visit a man in the hospital who was near the bush and heard it 'speaking and setting itself on fire.'  Cas deduces that an angel's scream could cause something like that to happen and they decide to check out the place to see if there are any demons there.

Amelia tells Sam that she thinks about him all the time and that she would be with him if he stays behind.  He has to choose either his life on the road or with her because she can't have him with his one foot in her life and the other out there somewhere.  Sam tells Amelia that they should not let themselves get swayed by passion.  Instead, they should take some time and think it through.  Amelia suggests that they take two days to think about it, and if both want to resume their relationship, they should meet back at the motel in two days. 

Dean and Cas find the factory where Samandriel is possibly being held but there are far too many demons for them to handle by themselves.  Cas suggests to get Sam which Dean refuses saying he would be here if he wanted to.  Instead, Dean comes up with another plan.  Cas zaps them to some place where Kevin is currently staying trying to translate the half tablet without much success.  After getting a list of ingredients from Kevin, Castiel leaves to gather the materials to make more of Kevin's demon-blowing bombs.  Dean gets a distraught call from Benny who's having a hard time coping with things and needs his help.  Dean promises to meet him after resolving the case.

Back at the factory, Crowley enters the scene after Vigo called him to help translate Enochian.  After listening to Samandriel's involuntary chants, Crowley realizes that they're kind of "factory settings" for angels and could reveal a lot of secrets about them.  Castiel appears next to Sam and zaps him back to Kevin's place with all the ingredients.  The Winchester boys continue to argue and Cas asks them to "show their crap."

Dean, Sam, and Castiel return to the factory at night.  Castile cannot enter at the moment because of the angel sigils.  Sam and Dean fight their way inside, killing demons and destroying sigils.  In the meantime, Crowley's trying his best to get a useful secret out of Samandriel.  The boys make it to the door of the room where Samandriel's being held and Cas finally makes it inside the factory.  Sam and Dean try to break down the door while Samandriel's torture and screams have a terrible effect on Cas giving him flashbacks of Naomi bringing something pointy towards his eyes while he's screaming.  Just before the boys finally make it through the door, Crowley learns about an angel tablet, pretty much like the demon tablet that can banish them to hell.

While the boys are killing the remaining demons, Cas frees Semandriel and brings him outside.  Samandriel refuses to return to heaven because Naomi now knows what he revealed and tells Cas that they are all being controlled.  Naomi summons Cas and orders him to kill Samandriel.  In spite of his objections, Cas involuntarily kills Samandriel as Naomi ordered.  Naomi then orders him to tell Sam and Dean that he killed Samandriel out of self-defense and to return his body to Heaven.  Cas does the same while Sam and Dean sense something wrong with him because of his strange behavior and bleeding eye.

Dean and Sam are back at the cabin and angel-proof the place.  They talk about Cas's strange behavior and Sam suggests it could be the angels doing this to him.  Dean then tells Sam to return to Amelia.  Sam asks him since when he joined the "Amelia bandwagon?"  Dean just tells him that he's sick of all the fighting and maybe one of them should have a happy life.  He tells Sam to make up his mind one way or the other.  Sam decides to go for a walk to clear his head.  Dean calls back Benny who seems to be panicked and troubled with only a last pack of blood remaining in his stash.  Dean tells him that this is the "end of the line" for them and that they shouldn't keep in contact anymore.

Amelia shows up at Sam's motel room and is disappointed to find it empty.  Back at the cabin, the two brothers watch TV while sharing dinner and beers. 

So as mentioned above, the episode was pretty dark.  Cas is clearly in trouble and Naomi turns out to be super evil. 

I can see Benny slipping and I'm sure it's gonna happen in one of the coming episodes. My heart's already breaking for Dean who's gonna have to make the call finally.  I could see how torn he was about not being in touch with Benny anymore, imagine what he'll feel like if he has to kill him?! 

There's one thing I'm very happy about though and that's of course that my boys have taken one step forward towards restoring their relationship.  They have chosen to be by each other's side, chosen being the keyword here.  Sam could have left Dean and the family business to be with Amelia, but he chose not to, and for that, I'm very proud of him (I never liked Amelia anyway).

So! Don't forget to leave comments! Did you like the episode or not?    

Edited by -Mystery- - 11 years ago
*Eyes closed, quickly scrolls down to end of the post* << And that's 'cause I still haven't been able to catch up with the episode. But I wanted to appreciate your effort of posting the WU so quickly. Great job! :)
^ Thank you! I really appreciate it!  Do leave your comments once you've seen the episode :)
oh thanks a lot swtheart for this wonderful update ...thank god Sam chose Dean n i love dean for asking sam to go n have normal ...

guess brothers can only think of separating ...physically thats jus impossible
 wonderful episode i guess..but i feel bad for samandriel ...he was jus cho cute

poor cass ...n naomi is a bitch ...i should hv guessed earlier...

love
akki
Just saw!!!!
My Boys are together again!!!!EEE
THEY ARE BACK TOGETHER!! my Winchesters are BACK BACK Back!!!!!* excuse me for this, but well was watching them after eeerrr a bit long right :P*

Samandrial, well poor thing..first tortured like THAT and now killed..feeling really bad for him.
Cass...He is being controlled so badly by Naomi :x Poor thing is clueless about what he is doing...
Btw Dean told that Samandrial is the cutest angle but i DISAGREE, CASS is the cutest <3 okkk 
Love the way Cass startled both of them LOL, and Seriously Dean's laptop, sometimes he is just like a teenage guy man :P
Sammy left Amelia..well i am sad for him but then i am more happier *yeah sadistic me :P*
N I hope Benny is gone for good :|
MY WINCHESTERS ARE BACK TOGETHER YAYYY BABY!!!!!
I love the way they always save each others back, always...

well would comment in detail later...and Thanks for WU Mahi <3
Edited by -BlazingWater- - 11 years ago
@Akki - You're welcome :) You're right, this is the best part about these brothers. They fight over stuff but when things really matter, you know that they've got each other's backs. I kept getting evil vibes from Naomi but I hadn't guessed the extent to which she can go to get what she wants.  Seems like Dean and Sam are gonna have to save Cas from her too.

@Priya - Yes!!!!!!!! Winchesters are together again and by choice!!  The last scene made me happy.  Kinda reminded me of old days.  Them watching TV over beers.  I felt horrible for Samandriel.. poor guy.. my heart sank for a minute when Cas stabbed him on Naomi's orders. Poor Cas, he wanted to save that one angel for penance's sake but that awful Naomi made him kill him instead :(  I couldn't stop laughing when Cas showed up and startled Dean who said it's creepy! ๐Ÿ˜†And you're welcome for the WU :)
Finally caught up with the episode and totally loved it. <3 The episode was good in terms of everything. Honestly, I wasn't expecting Dean and Sam calling it a truce any time soon, I thought they'd drag it for some more time but thankfully not. :) I love it how they always get back to each other. No matter where the roads lead them, they are always each other's destination. 

As much as I'm happy over their re-union, I still feel they need to have a heart to heart. They are still holding a lot to themselves and need to let it all out. 

Also, I felt bad for Benny and Amelia, not that I was fond of Sam-Amelia at any point (they just didn't connect to me) but atleast someone had made a choice for Sam and even that couldn't happen. You could see the pain in Dean's eyes when he calls it the end of the line over phone and Benny too tore up.These two always end up losing their friends, that's so heart-wrenching. :( 

I hope Benny doesn't get back to being a vampire in its real sense, it would kill the humanity in him and also Dean if he has to make a choice then. Somewhere down I hope, these two get back to being friends again. And probably Sam-Amelia too provided they get a better track for them, so far the story of these two just didn't seem connecting. 

And then there's Samandriel, I expected this 'cutest angel of Heaven' to stay for longer but alas! I though he'd have a potential role to play. The torture scenes were pretty dark and gory. That's Crowley for you, an engineered torturer. Naomi is Crowley's distant sister, I suppose. Someone who can do anything to get his/her work done. She's pure evil and seems to have bigger motives.

Felt horrible for Cass, poor soul is just back from Purgatory and he's being made to do a 'God Castiel' again. Lets hope Dean and Sam discover this soon enough and save things in time.

The whole of angel tablet and demon tablet arc is going to bring upon bigger challenges and tasks for the Winchester to face. Just a bit on Kevin too, I'm kinda tired of him. Can he prove to be a bit more useful and less sulking? I mean even Chuck seemed better!

Thanks for the WU again, you write pretty well. Good job! :)
Edited by herms_angel - 11 years ago
Originally posted by herms_angel

The whole of angel tablet and demon tablet arc is going to bring upon bigger challenges and tasks for the Winchester to face. Just a bit on Kevin too, I'm kinda tired of him. Can he prove to be a bit more useful and less sulking? I mean even Chuck seemed better!

Thanks for the WU again, you write pretty well. Good job! :)

I'd disagree a bit with that part actually... he's been pretty useful in developing the demon TNTs and deciphering a bit of the tablet as well... as for the sulking, he was a senior in high school, about to go on to the college of his dreams and he had his whole life ahead of him that he had worked insanely hard for.. all of that was just snatched away from him in a flash so I'd say a spot of sulking is given. Not to say that I don't respect your opinion though, because I totally do :) I'm just prone to butting in and tossing in my two cents so don't mind me! xD

Originally posted by chhilt

I'd disagree a bit with that part actually... he's been pretty useful in developing the demon TNTs and deciphering a bit of the tablet as well... as for the sulking, he was a senior in high school, about to go on to the college of his dreams and he had his whole life ahead of him that he had worked insanely hard for.. all of that was just snatched away from him in a flash so I'd say a spot of sulking is given. 

Not to say that I don't respect your opinion though, because I totally do :) I'm just prone to butting in and tossing in my two cents so don't mind me! xD

I totally get your point and understand it too. I don't say that the sulking is 'unfair'. Its sure not easy when life throws crap at you and everything goes out of gear. When I said he can probably sulk less, I meant he can perhaps deal with the fact that this now his life a lot better than what is being shown to us. Chuck, when he was a prophet did deal with his fate better than how Kevin is dealing at the moment. Sure, Kevin did discover how to make demon bombs and deciphered stuff from tablet but when he came into picture since episode one of this season, I kinda expected a lot from him and he showed that potential too but down a few episode, he seems have become distraught. Its not about the work he did, its about him.  All in all, I'm saying is Kevin is stronger than what is being portrayed about him. 

@Italics : I didn't mind that at all. That's how great discussions begin! And I respect your opinions too. :) 
Edited by herms_angel - 11 years ago
finally, caught up with the episode... these AXN broadcasters... na... i tell u 
first of all, again a sam and dean fight with sam wanting to have a life of his own and dean taking him for granted   samandriel's torture at the hands of crowley and vigo was painful i love the way, cass makes his appearances... with a swish and swash kinda sound... and dean's reactions...
they end up sharing a kiss.
( psst... they end up sharing more... ๐Ÿ˜‰
photo censored.gif
) moving on... i was heartbroken when cass was ordered to kill samandriel...๐Ÿฅบ the only bright moment in the epi was cass bringing sam, dean together and sam choosing to join dean instead of amelia... 

Edited by flutterby - 11 years ago