India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Debate : Who is Respnsible? (Page 17)

..RamKiJanaki.. IF-Addictz
..RamKiJanaki..
..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 5:42pm | IP Logged
Rape is never acceptable. Period. I agree with almost everyone here, but one thing I would like to say is that clothing DOES matter.

Look, I am not saying women deserve to be raped if they wear revealing clothing. The perpetrator is always at fault and I sincerely believe that.

However, I also believe that every individual has a responsibility not to instigate people who have bad intentions. Just like you don't carry around a thick wad of cash in your hands when you walk around outside, since there are always thieves lurking about ready to mug you, you also don't walk around revealing every part of your skin.

This applies to BOTH men and women. Even men should not walk around without a shirt or pant because it looks plain indecent. Both men and women should wear proper attire when they are out of their home, whether it be western or indian. When people dress themselves decently, they are less bound to attract attention. This applies to both men in the case of women rapists, and women in the case of men rapists. Victims are NOT at fault, but they DO have a responsibility to protect themselves as best as they can.

Of course, it's also true that rape happens to people who are dressed decently as well, so this is not a solution or anything, but it's a prevention method everyone should take part in, whether they be men or women.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

zorrro

salta IF-Sizzlerz
salta
salta

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 7:06pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by JanakiRaghunath

Rape is never acceptable. Period. I agree with almost everyone here, but one thing I would like to say is that clothing DOES matter.

Look, I am not saying women deserve to be raped if they wear revealing clothing. The perpetrator is always at fault and I sincerely believe that.

However, I also believe that every individual has a responsibility not to instigate people who have bad intentions. Just like you don't carry around a thick wad of cash in your hands when you walk around outside, since there are always thieves lurking about ready to mug you, you also don't walk around revealing every part of your skin.

What instigate people who have bad intentions?

This applies to BOTH men and women. Even men should not walk around without a shirt or pant because it looks plain indecent. Both men and women should wear proper attire when they are out of their home, whether it be western or indian. When people dress themselves decently, they are less bound to attract attention. This applies to both men in the case of women rapists, and women in the case of men rapists. Victims are NOT at fault, but they DO have a responsibility to protect themselves as best as they can.
 The idea of decent clothing, isn't anything but a mirage...you know for some people even if you haven't covered your head then it would be disgracing, and for some people it would be fine even if u r in a bikni. To protect themselves...here comes the wonderful argument...you knw what's the best prevention then... lock all the women in home...right...??
Of course, it's also true that rape happens to people who are dressed decently as well, so this is not a solution or anything, but it's a prevention method everyone should take part in, whether they be men or women.
Decently well?? let me tell u something...recently the first case in fast track cases is of a rape on 3 year old girl by a 40-50 age man... that girl must hadn't been dressed up decently, and she must had caught his attention by showing off her sexy figure... 

..RamKiJanaki..
..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 7:58pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by meghasingh

What instigate people who have bad intentions?

The idea of decent clothing, isn't anything but a mirage...you know for some people even if you haven't covered your head then it would be disgracing, and for some people it would be fine even if u r in a bikni. To protect themselves...here comes the wonderful argument...you knw what's the best prevention then... lock all the women in home...right...??
Decently well?? let me tell u something...recently the first case in fast track cases is of a rape on 3 year old girl by a 40-50 age man... that girl must hadn't been dressed up decently, and she must had caught his attention by showing off her sexy figure... 

Where have I mentioned about locking women up? I spoke about both women and men dressing decently, and in my terms decent dressing is the same as what you'd wear to work or school. There is a certain dress code people adhere to when they go to work, so why can't there be a dress code for both men and women when they leave their homes?

I have already mentioned that I am not blaming the victim by saying people should dress decently. I am saying everyone (men and women) should take precautions when leaving the security of home, just like they take precautions with their money. How many people do you see walking around with a wad of cash in their hands? They would be mugged in an instant. That doesn't mean it's their fault their money got stolen, since the mugger was the perpetrator and always will be the perpatrator, but the victim should also have been more responsible. The same goes for other crimes. The victim is never at fault, but he/she should be responsible when they're outside. It's common sense.

I have also acknowledged that dressing decently alone does not solve anything. There are people out there with sick minds, I know that. People who dress decently, whether they be men or women, still get sexually assaulted and so do children. I'm studying child psychology and there are so many horrible cases of children getting raped. It's really sick! So I agree with everyone here who says society needs to change and laws should be harsher for rape perpetrators, but I am a woman who looks through totally unbiased lens. I am not a supporter of the concept "I'll dress how I like and no one has the right to question". We all live in a society governed by rules. Just like we adhere to these rules when we go to school and work, we should also adhere to them when we leave home for whatever reason.

The perpetrators are always at fault and deserve the harshest punishment without doubt! But at the same time, we all should take care not to draw unnecessary attention to ourselves, whether it be walking the streets with a wad of cash in our hands or revealing every corner of our skin. It's common sense.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

zorrro-zozo-

salta IF-Sizzlerz
salta
salta

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 8:09pm | IP Logged
@janakiraghunath...decent clothing...what does it means...one u wear at school and college?? we do wear skirts, shorts, and dresses there...and that's what we are bashed for... so should we start dressing up in burqa...??
..RamKiJanaki..
..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 8:25pm | IP Logged

@janakiraghunath...decent clothing...what does it means...one u wear at school and college?? we do wear skirts, shorts, and dresses there...and that's what we are bashed for... so should we start dressing up in burqa...??

Who ever said western clothes meant indecent? The skirts, shorts, and dresses we wear at school or work are not indecent. Both for men and women, I believe the thighs should be covered as well as cleavage and midriff. Not only women, I also do not support shirtless men. I think we all have a responsibility to dress professionally when we lave the house, that's all.

If people are advocating against western clothes, then I do not agree with it. There's nothing wrong in wearing skirts or shorts if they cover our skin. They're only a problem when they're so tiny that it seems like you're wearing nothing at all. No one goes to work in mini-skirts or tiny tank tops, so I think the same dress code should be used when going out for fun as well.

-zozo-

kashifkashu Newbie
kashifkashu
kashifkashu

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 2:26am | IP Logged
Pop Culture is changing our Mentality resulting Provocative Acts
Easy available po*n is very big reason.

Edited by kashifkashu - 21 January 2013 at 2:23am
salta IF-Sizzlerz
salta
salta

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 2:55am | IP Logged

Who ever said western clothes meant indecent? The skirts, shorts, and dresses we wear at school or work are not indecent. Both for men and women, I believe the thighs should be covered as well as cleavage and midriff. Not only women, I also do not support shirtless men. I think we all have a responsibility to dress professionally when we lave the house, that's all.

If people are advocating against western clothes, then I do not agree with it. There's nothing wrong in wearing skirts or shorts if they cover our skin. They're only a problem when they're so tiny that it seems like you're wearing nothing at all. No one goes to work in mini-skirts or tiny tank tops, so I think the same dress code should be used when going out for fun as well.

Just tell me one thing... is it really logical to say that this % of skin should be covered?? and the skirts and shorts and dresses in colleges exposes thigh...depends from where the thigh start accord to ur theory...if it's above knee, then even accord to rules school skirts are above knees...
midriff...u know being a Hindu population in majority, it's the part which is bare in saree... and saree is a really exposing dress...so why shouldn't be it banned??
look nobody wears bikini or swimsuit on the bars, clubs, anywhere...
and tank top... whats wrong with them...
i guess u want to censor out all the wardrobe...

and come on... to wear fashionable clothes is something u like for yourself... saying that this tye of clothing, or that % of skin covered...it's more like Taliban rules...

another complication...u know the foreigners who visit India and wear "provoking exposing" dresses accord to u, what abt them... if they got raped, it's their fault? or we should impose the decency norms on them too...??

Edited by meghasingh - 21 January 2013 at 2:52am
RatiG IF-Rockerz
RatiG
RatiG

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 9:21am | IP Logged

how should we dress i wear round neck suits then also men stare at me..and when i am fat...my sisters college dress was suit then also her seniors would pass comments that she looks hot in suits how would she look in binkini is that acceptable NO NOT AT ALL
i would would see them ever in life i would seriously kick their ass for treating my sister like thatAngry

salta

Go to top