Debate Mansion

Suicide: Who is responsible? Individual/society (Page 5)

Post Reply New Post

Page 5 of 12

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 25 February 2013 at 1:31am | IP Logged
Originally posted by --arti--

Originally posted by _Angie_

Why not?
 I am not advocating suicide but would it be right or even possible to force someone to continue living against their wishes? For how long?

Angie - that was a link to a fairly lengthy comment I posted as an answer to that question from a past thread. I was simply being lazy. Smile
...and I missed those quotation marks arti LOL

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Suicide: Who is responsible? Individual/society (Page 5)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

-Aarya-

Goldie

-Aarya-

Posted: 25 February 2013 at 6:41am | IP Logged

Why not?
 I am not advocating suicide but would it be right or even possible to force someone to continue living against their wishes? For how long?

I have always believed that your life has a purpose, or to certain extend some responsibility toward others (family). What should a person chose between their right to take their own life vs living for others?

To commit a suicide is a selfish and coward approach, and I blame the person alone for making such decisions...

Edited by -Aarya- - 25 February 2013 at 7:06am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

boreddamselMcNinja

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 25 February 2013 at 10:05am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Aarya-

Why not?

I have always believed that your life has a purpose, or to certain extend some responsibility toward others (family). What should a person chose between their right to take their own life vs living for others?

To commit a suicide is a selfish and coward approach, and I blame the person alone for making such decisions...

One needs to go into some common reasons or circumstances that may lead to suicidal intent though  the wearer knows best where the shoe pinches.

Suicide bids are seldom a well thought out conscious decision except for the samadhis taken by some spiritual followers. Majority of the attempt are an act of desperation, a need to draw attention, often  impulsive in  nature. If somehow one manages to itervene at the critical moment the period of crisis may be over. However the chronically depressive cases are quite a challenge on anyone's patience and compassion. They would simply not be in a state to have any sense of right, wrong, responsibilities .

It would be difficult for me to judge how selfish , brave or cowardly a person would be to jump in front of a running train, burn, shoot or stab  himself/herself ! Taking pills or an injection could be somehow less gruesome!

-Aarya-McNinja

McNinja

IF-Rockerz

McNinja

Posted: 25 February 2013 at 10:16am | IP Logged

Why not?

People who attempt or have committed suicide are usually not in the right state of mind.

There was a time I thought it was a selfish act as well but experience with others has shown me otherwise. I can't blame the person, I consider them a victim. 

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

-Aarya-moomin4455boreddamsel

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 25 February 2013 at 10:23am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Prometeus

Originally posted by Prometeus

I think we human should learn small lession from cockroaches,they have have this immense capacity of adjustment...Smile

Not every human being can be as stoic as a cockroach , what about them? - then they should change their plane of their understanding or should change their inferiority complex or different egos in their life..
Try telling them that suicide is a crime or a sin and check Tongue--I dont think cockroaches believe in any crime or sin or ego and I dont think they simply suffer/misrable or expect somthing or have any hopes..they are just be totally in lifeSmile

You want me to tell the next suicidal person I may run into to be like the Cockroach ! You sure he wont turn homicidal towards me LOL

moomin4455

IF-Dazzler

moomin4455

Posted: 03 March 2013 at 6:02pm | IP Logged

Why not?

It seems selfish and cowardly to the devastated people that individual leaves behind. But to the person it's the only way out at that point in time.

I know people who have everything going for them, they are young, successful, bright, have great families and yet still have suicidal thoughts. One of these individuals suffers from depression and they've tried many types of medication, but nothing works well enough to make them feel OK for long enough. When you are depressed you don't see things the way someone who doesn't suffer from that illness does. The little things push you over the edge. 

And the sad thing is the person is crying out for help, but often the right kind of help doesn't come. The responsibility or onus is primarily on them - they have to want to stay alive - they have to reach out too. Friends and family can only persuade them to not commit suicide, to stay alive so much. They can provide help - the individual- the victim - often needs proper counselling or someone they can talk to - even medication as a first step.

Sadly help is often not forthcoming and victims often don't reach out. It's why I think so many friends and family members seem shocked when their loved ones end up committing suicide - they're completely unaware of what's been going on.

-Aarya-boreddamsel

-Aarya-

Goldie

-Aarya-

Posted: 03 March 2013 at 6:50pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by moomin4455

Why not?

It seems selfish and cowardly to the devastated people that individual leaves behind. But to the person it's the only way out at that point in time.

I know people who have everything going for them, they are young, successful, bright, have great families and yet still have suicidal thoughts. One of these individuals suffers from depression and they've tried many types of medication, but nothing works well enough to make them feel OK for long enough. When you are depressed you don't see things the way someone who doesn't suffer from that illness does. The little things push you over the edge. 

And the sad thing is the person is crying out for help, but often the right kind of help doesn't come. The responsibility or onus is primarily on them - they have to want to stay alive - they have to reach out too. Friends and family can only persuade them to not commit suicide, to stay alive so much. They can provide help - the individual- the victim - often needs proper counselling or someone they can talk to - even medication as a first step.

Sadly help is often not forthcoming and victims often don't reach out. It's why I think so many friends and family members seem shocked when their loved ones end up committing suicide - they're completely unaware of what's been going on.

I understand that not everything is in your control but at the same time I wonder what leads people to depression and such state of mind which is the driving force behind suicide...

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

boreddamsel

moomin4455

IF-Dazzler

moomin4455

Posted: 03 March 2013 at 8:37pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by moomin4455

Why not?

I understand that not everything is in your control but at the same time I wonder what leads people to depression and such state of mind which is the driving force behind suicide...

Clinical depression or other conditions that are undiagnosed. People placed into abnormal, incredibly stressful situations and who find themselves isolated socially and cannot turn to others for help. 
Drug taking - taking narcotics and alcohol is a classic. But really it depends on the person, on their mental health and what they're going through.

-Aarya-boreddamsel

Post Reply New Post

Go to top