Debate Mansion

Suicide: Who is responsible? Individual/society (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 12

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 14 January 2013 at 6:06am | IP Logged
Has anyone been following the Aaron Swartz case?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Suicide: Who is responsible? Individual/society (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 14 January 2013 at 6:20am | IP Logged

People commit suicide not becos they are really finished with life but becos life is not fulfilling their demands...Bt they forget to understand one fact that...no life ever fulfills anybody's demands... we all will always go on missing something or other...if you have money, you may not be beautiful... if you are beautiful, u may not be intelligent... if you are intelligent,u may not have money n like that lots of blah blah things we miss...commit suicide is such an ungrateful act ..some ppl expect or wold like a totally different kind of life, thts why thy committing suicide ...Smile

charminggenie

IF-Rockerz

charminggenie

Posted: 14 January 2013 at 1:42pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Has anyone been following the Aaron Swartz case?

Hellos Hades, I am  following the case, a brilliant -brilliant mind, yet frustrations and his own securities caught up with him, this was not his 1st attempt, i think he viewed the world from a very different parameter, that and coupled with his trust issues really wrecked havoc! 

@Skepblun
What's the role of family/society shaping an individual? (We are a result of our environment only)     I wont use only, but it is a mutually co-existing system, environment can only influence not dictate our perceptions and actions. Role of a society in ideal condition is to provide an holistic upbringing but that cannot stop a person from taking the life, can it?

Does over-pampering or constant putting down contribute to poor self esteem and coping issues? yes, over-pampering and extreme criticism can be a bad precursor for an individual, they can take you to the edge but the final lean is still individualistic. Coping issues have nothing to do with circumstances, each have their own way of treating a situation , some would rise  move forward , others will fight and many will cry and end up victimizing it to a dangerous level.

A lot goes into an individual's actions. 

Nature vs nurture debate?Resilience comes from within or is imbibed? What determines a person's sense of self efficacy and coping power?   Personally I see Nature and nuture as two sides of the  same coin , a tree can bear a rotten fruit with the best fertilization , and then you have lotus in the mud ( cheezy) but this is true.  Resilience is in everyone , it is when we loose track of it that we end up treating these suicidal thoughts and I feel  with each day we are imbibing the essence of it, if we take a closer look of our surroundings we will find lot more things to hope for than not.   A person will determine his/her own coping power, its a tango of being selfless and selfish, you need to set your own wants and priorities and channelize energy to achieve them, notwithstanding if you get them but that journey will be every knowledgeable and  detach yourselves, let it not affect you at all, 

Somebody finds faith, somebody looks to family as a reason to live. But why's it that some people don't seem to be able (or willing?) to find a reason to continue?   1st have faith , love your family but foremost live for yourself, we tend to forget the " I" part of our life, and we give up when the world, its problems become bigger than us.

Edited by charminggenie - 14 January 2013 at 2:58pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

return_to_hadesatominis-Chandramukhi-

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 16 January 2013 at 8:46am | IP Logged

@Genie - I think the Aaron Swartz case is an interesting study. Not just from the legal perspective but also into the psychology behind suicide.

On topic

I believe there are three factors behind suicide.

1)      Nature A lot of it does depend on the individual's nature. There are many people who faced bullying but did not commit suicide. There are many people in the shoes of Aaron Swartz who faced even harsher litigation like the Pirate Bay guys, but they were able to resist it. Part of the reactions are due to external factors, but a lot of it depends on the natural emotional resilience of a person.

2)      Nurture A lot depends on how a person was raised. There are studies showing depression and similar issues to poor upbringing and broken families. People who have supportive families are more likely to fight than take the flight route. I think the exam suicides in India are a great illustration of nurture's effect. The difference between suicide and not upon failing depends on how the parents treated them and what was expected.  

3)      Social Environment This is the biggest factor. The canvas on which nature and nurture play out.  Aaron Swartz made a mistake and deserved punishment. But it was an innocent well intentioned mistake. Instead the judicial system tried to make an example of him. They unreasonably treated an innocent young man as a criminal trying to get him thirty years in prison and pushed him to the edge. Compare that to the Pirate Bay trial where a clear distinction was draw between crime and copyright infringement, where the goal was not to punish but to compensate losses. The social environment of how a person's life and mistakes is treated makes a difference. A similar pattern emerges with bullying or rape suicides.  

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

charminggenie_Angie_boreddamsel-Chandramukhi-

charminggenie

IF-Rockerz

charminggenie

Posted: 16 January 2013 at 10:25am | IP Logged
@ RTH-  brilliant take on Aaron Swartz case, his is most definitely an interesting study!  I think more than his battle with the feds it was his own personal demons which caught up with him, you have Assange from wiki leaks, but for Aaron it was his inability to trust and super high expectations from everything that drove him more to the edge. I feel he needed both treatment and support to be in a stable position. 

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

boreddamselreturn_to_hades

ilovepyaar

IF-Sizzlerz

ilovepyaar

Posted: 17 January 2013 at 9:20pm | IP Logged
In my opinion, it's the individual's responsibility. You cannot hold someone else accountable for ending your own life if you're the one who does it. I know a lot of people blame the bullies for suicide (if the suicide is related to bullying), but let's get real. The bully hasn't held a gun to the person who commits suicide's head. They haven't forced them to kill themselves. By no means am I saying that bullies are right, but the person pulling the final trigger is the individual. Whether it's because of their weak mental state or something else, in the end suicide is the responsibility of the individual.

gothope

Goldie

gothope

Posted: 20 February 2013 at 6:17pm | IP Logged
I would say this is a fifty fifty thing. As I always say you cannot clap with one hand. So the society creates circumstances that makes an individual think the suicide route. However its ultimately the individuals decision as to what needs to be done. I am borderline suicidal so believe me I know how this works. Whats sad is here I am sitting in my office thinking for the ast two days as to how I am going to end this life and I come across this topic.

peridot.

peridot.

Posted: 23 February 2013 at 9:55am | IP Logged
Originally posted by hope20

I would say this is a fifty fifty thing. As I always say you cannot clap with one hand. So the society creates circumstances that makes an individual think the suicide route. However its ultimately the individuals decision as to what needs to be done. I am borderline suicidal so believe me I know how this works. Whats sad is here I am sitting in my office thinking for the ast two days as to how I am going to end this life and I come across this topic.

Strange to hear that coming from someone with an Id like yours Tongue

Edited by _twilight_ - 23 February 2013 at 9:55am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Vintage.Wine

Post Reply New Post

Go to top