Minionite thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Amazing update Neha. Do continue soon. 😃
LumosJinx111 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Chapter 6

A few years later

"Mama, look," Eileen ran into the house clutching a bunch of letters in her hand. "Look at this!It is addressed to me. I never receive any letters!" She held out an envelope. 

Mrs Prince gasped when she saw the letter. The same crest, the same calligraphy. 

"Oh Eileen!" her mother exclaimed, wrapping her arms around her 11 year old daughter. "You've finally received it! I thought that it may never arrive!"

Eileen was surprised. "But I haven't yet opened it, Mama," she said. "How do you know what the letter inside says?"

Mrs Prince sighed and let Eileen to a chair. Eileen started to say something but her mother silenced her with a look.

"Eileen," Mrs Prince started. "I too had received this letter many years ago. Its a letter from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry..."

"What?" Eileen interrupted her mother. "Does that mean...?"

"Yes darling," Mrs Prince said. "You are a witch. And you'll soon be on your way to the most prestigious school..."

"Wait a minute, Mama," Eileen interrupted again. "I'm happy in my school. I don't want to go there. I've got friends here. I don't want to go there now."

Mrs Prince looked at her daughter. "You do have a choice, my dear," she said. "But you are a witch, Eileen. I am one too. And your father is a wizard."

Eileen was stunned at this revelation. "B...But you never..." she stammered.

"You want to know why we never told you, right?" Mrs Prince guessed her daughter's thoughts accurately. "We were waiting for the right time, if there's anything of that sort. We didn't want to make you nervous. We wanted you to have a normal life. But, darling, the fact is that you are special. You are a witch. And Hogwarts will not only teach you to use magic but also to use it carefully."

Eileen listened to her mother, completely engrossed. She didn't want to leave her school and friends but Hogwarts sounded exciting. She turned to her mother.

"Do I get to come home often?" she asked her mother. But her mother shook her head. 

"only for a couple of weeks during Christmas and then for a couple of months when the year ends," Mrs Prince answered. "But don't you worry. Hogwarts is so interesting that you will never feel like leaving it. It feels like home."

Listening to her mother, Eileen had made her decision.

~*~

"A year! You'll be gone for a year!" Tobias exclaimed. "What kind of a school is this Hogwarts? Never heard of it."

Eileen stood there silently. She had just told Tobias about her being a witch and Hogwarts, much against her parents' wishes. 

"They must not know about our world," her father had warned her. But she trusted Tobias with this secret of hers.

"I told you, Tobias," she snapped, tired with his questioning. "Its a school for witches and wizards. For people like us."

"But, don't you have a choice?" Tobias persisted. 

"No," Eileen lied, crossing her fingers behind her back. "I don't have a choice."

Tobias sighed. "Well then," he said, his voice weary. "I'll just have to let you go then."

Eileen held his hand. "I won't be gone forever, Tobias," she said, trying to reassure him. "Just ten months."

"Just ten months for seven years!" Tobias said. "How am I going to survive in school now? Now that you won't be there to help me in my homework."

Eileen smacked him lightly on the back of his head. "Learn to study on your own now, Tobias!" she said. "I'd better leave now. Got loads to do tomorrow."

Tobias hugged Eileen and wished her luck, silently wishing that all this was just a bad dream.

twila thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Good, good! Please update soon!
LumosJinx111 thumbnail
Chapter 7

"Tom," Merope called out. "Supper is ready."

"Coming darling," Tom replied. He slipped on a t-shirt and went out to the garden to meet his wife.

Merope watched her handsome husband striding down the freshly mowed grass and smiled. And marvelled at her luck. Well...not all was luck. The only thing Merope had learnt in Hogwarts was to brew potions. And she was an expert in it. 

~*~

Try as much, Merope could never remember the first time when she had fallen in love with Tom Riddle. But he, the rich Mr Riddle's son, was out of her reach. There was no way that he would have even cast a glance at Merope, leave alone falling in love with her. But Merope was a patient girl. She waited for a perfect opportunity. That opportunity came in the form of Bob Ogden.

Morfin did not care about the secrecy of the Wizarding World and frequently used magic in front of the Muggles in Little Hangleton. Despite repeated reminders from the Ministry of Magic, Marvolo and Morfin did not mend their ways. At the end of their tether, the Ministry finally sent Bob Ogden to the Gaunt's ramshackle cottage in Little Hangleton to warn them about their repeated offences. But, instead of being contrite, Marvolo and Morfin boasted of their family's lineage. Marvolo even tried to strangle his daughter when he found out that she fancied the boy next door. And when Ogden tried to stop him, Morfin and Marvolo forced him to flee by throwing various hexes and jinxes in his direction. 

The Ministry took prompt action against Marvolo and Morfin. They were produced before the Wizengamot and were carted off to Azkaban soon afterwards. Merope was left alone in their cottage in Little Hangleton.

But Merope wasn't complaining. She finally was free. And she liked the taste of this newfound freedom. She started scourging the house and found some money hidden away by her father and brother. She walked down to a shop to buy herself a new dress. And then, she started putting her plan to action.

Merope, freshly showered and clad in the shimmering red dress she had purchased earlier in the day, walked up to Tom Riddle who was walking past her house. He was alone. Good, Merope thought. She did not want an unnecessary complication in the form of his girlfriend, Cecilia.

"Hey Tom," Merope called out, her voice ringing with confidence. Tom looked around at her, surprised. 

"Did you just call me?" Tom asked. Merope nodded, smiling.

"Yes, I did," she replied. "Would you like to join me for a cup of tea?" Merope smiled at him invitingly.

"Oh well, okay," Tom agreed, though he was feeling awkward. "Uh...oh..." he hesitated when he saw the house. "Are you sure...?"

"Oh yes," Merope smiled warmly. "Trust me. There's nothing to fear over here." Merope had taken care to remove all the traces of magic from the house. She even removed the snake that was nailed to the door. 

"Its all right," Tom agreed. "Never knew why I used to think that your house was haunted."

Merope threw her head back and laughed. "Haunted?" she said, still laughing. 

"Well, I never saw any of you," Tom tried to defend himself. "Until today."

"I was at a school," Merope lied. "A boarding school."

"Didn't you come back for the holidays?" Tom asked. 

Merope shook her head. "No," she replied. "I was more at home at my school. Now drink your tea and eat your scones before they get cold." Merope hurriedly diverted the topic before Tom started questioning her again.

When he took the first sip of the tea, Tom felt a curious sensation run through him. He began to see the girl sitting before him in a new light. She's so pretty, he thought. Not a show-off like Cecilia.

"What is your name?" Tom found himself asking. 

"Merope," she answered. "Merope Gaunt."

Tom looked at her closely. Yes, she was indeed very beautiful, he thought. And caring too. 

"Can we meet again, Merope?" he asked. Merope nodded, beside herself with happiness.

Merope and Tom continued meeting at her home. Tom started enjoying Merope's company more and more and very soon, he fell in love with her. He didn't hesitate in leaving Cecilia for Merope.

One day, as they met in Merope's house for tea, Tom removed a velvet box from his pocket. He opened it and removed a beautiful diamond ring. He held it in front of Merope.

"Merope, will you marry me?" Tom asked. Tears welled up in her eyes. This was the moment she had waited for.

"Of course Tom," she replied. "I will marry you."

Tom and Merope got married the next day. Tom's parents refused to attend his marriage but Tom didn't care. He started living with Merope in her little cottage.

~*~

"Hello love," Tom said, wrapping his arms around Merope's waist. But, before Merope could greet her husband, a spell of dizziness took over and Merope collapsed in Tom's arms.

"Merope!" Tom gasped. He slowly picked her up and took her to their bedroom and lay her down on their bed. He sprinkled some water on her face. Merope stirred. 

"I'm sending for a doctor, Merope," Tom said and went out of the house. Merope, though, knew why she had passed out. Now is the time, she thought. She had to tell him now.
Cutecj thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Amazing update.
Looking foward to Hogwarts.
Like the story of Merope and Tom.
Minionite thumbnail
Amazing update. Like the story of Merope and Tom. 😃
LumosJinx111 thumbnail
Chapter 8

"Elizabeth!" Eileen exclaimed, surprise and relief inter-mingling in her voice. "How come you are here?"

Eileen and her parents had just reached Platform Nine and three quarters and much to Eileen's surprise, she had just spotted her friend from school. Muggle school, as her parents referred to it.

"Eileen!" Elizabeth called out and rushed towards her. "I'm in my third year at Hogwarts! Oh...just wait until you get there! Its so beautiful! Come, I'll introduce you to my friends."

Eileen looked at her parents and they nodded, encouragingly. Elizabeth, though, kept on chattering as she dragged Eileen to a group of students standing at the door of a compartment.

"Hey guys," Elizabeth called out. "Meet my friend, Eileen. She stays at Spinner's End, quite close to my place."

Eileen felt a pang of guilt when she heard Elizabeth mention Spinner's End. She missed Tobias and felt wretched about lying to him. But Hogwarts seemed so exciting. Much better than her Muggle school.

"Hi Eileen," a tall boy drawled. He offered his hand to her and she shook it quietly, waiting for Elizabeth to start the introductions. 

"Oh...Eileen, that's Harry. Harry Evans," Elizabeth said. "And this is John Longbottom," Elizabeth said, pointing to the boy with a mop of brown hair standing next to Harry. "And this one here," she said, pointing to a short, little girl who was standing beside Harry. "She's Augusta Mason. Don't go by her looks, Eileen! She's a firebrand!"

They all smiled warmly at Eileen and she felt some of her nervousness slip away. 

"Where's your stuff?" Augusta asked. "We'd better tell Harry and John to load it up the compartment for you." 

Eileen pointed to her trunk that her parents were holding. They watched their daughter as she chatted amiably with her new friends and sighed with relief. Just a few days ago, they had taken her to Diagon Alley to buy her the first year school books and her wand. She had been enchanted by the sights and sounds of Diagon Alley and it made her parents happy to see that she had accepted the Wizarding World so easily.

"Don't worry, Augusta," Eileen assured her. "I'll get it myself. I want to go and meet my parents for one last time."

"Ah..don't you worry, Eileen," Augusta said. "You go and speak to your parents and let the boys get your trunk for you. oi Harry! John!" she called out. "Get  Eileen's trunk for her."

Eileen walked up to her parents and hugged both of them. "When will I see you again?" she asked her mother, trying hard to stop the tears that were welling up in her eyes.

"Very soon, Eileen," her mother reassured her while her father patted her head. "You can come home for Christmas."

She then walked Eileen to the door of the compartment and helped her to board the train. As the train started moving, Eileen craned her neck and looked out of the window till her parents went out of her sight.
Cutecj thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Awesome update Neha. Great job. Please continue soon.👏
twila thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
How is Tom Riddle's story connected to the half-blood prince? 😕

Anyway, amazing story till now! ⭐️