Pressure on Snadhya?

-Yuks- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 11 years ago
Why is there all this pressure on Sandhya to conceive a child immediately?
Meenakshi has been married longer than Sandhya. No one has ever raised a comment about her or noted that a child hasn't been conceived until now.

But everyone is pushing Sandhya to have a child immediately?

I dislike Santosh in that she lets other, unimportant women pressurize her into taking hasty and ridiculous action. Like promising Sandhya will conceive in 3 months.
Santosh could have easily deflected the comments by saying that she is happy that one grandchild is on the way and more grandchildren will come when they are meant to. Meenakshi's child is coming when it is meant to, and so will Sandhya's.
That would have shut up the women and put Santosh at a superior place.

But with this new challenge, it shows people how easy it is to play Santosh, and leaves her with a chance to be humiliated.
And if she is humiliated, then Sandhya is blamed and punished.

I really want this double standard behaviour towards Sandya to stop.
Santosh loves her now, and is fond of her, but never tries to understand her or what she wants. In a way she hasn't changed even a little from the way she was in the beginning

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

UMDU thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Very valid points. Let me try to give you my take on why these things happen in Hanuman Galli.

1. Most of the mother in laws in Hanuman Galli always want to prove they are better then their friends and have got a better deal in life be it  their husband, children or their spouses. In Bhabo's case, Sandhya is a rare gem. Not only is she very good looking but also educated and intelligent. Apart from that, her acts of bravery of fighting against a bull or during the terrorism track where her presence of mind saved many lives are well recognized in Pushkar. It is due to her unstinting support that Suraj won the WTC and got recognized at an international level. It is no mean achievement for a boy from a small town, Pushkar. Despite all these achievements to Sandhya's credit there is not a hint of arrogance in this girl. Daisa who is Bhabo's childhood friend is extremely jealous of Santosh for having got this precious gem. So she  time and again tries to point out the negative points in Sandhya including her not conceiving in the first year of marriage to show to Bhabo she hasn't got such a great deal after all in the form of Sandhya. It is her way of pulling down Bhabo. 'We are better off then you as we have grand children' is the message she seeks to convey.. Meena on the other hand is exactly like other bahus in the Galli so they do not feel the need to pull her down.

2.Regarding Bhabo taking up the challenge as we all know Bhabo is egoistic. She will not take anybody challenging her family lightly. That is her pride especially anything to do with Suraj.

3. In traditional societies the purpose of a marriage is primarily reproduction. Once a bahu is unable to conceive she is condemned as baanj. Men are never blamed for any  such woes. It is because of a woman being another woman's biggest enemy that India has not progressed. 
Edited by UMDU - 11 years ago
-rp- thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
well, what i know about these traditional families is that the eldest bahu is expected to give a heir to the family first. hete in this case situation is slightly different, since suraj is married later she cannot be expected to produce first but bhabho wants it to happen at the earliest. in such families if woman don't give good news in first year then such questions arisrs.
plus she knows that they have not being closr to each other so she might be having a fear in her heart that her son maynot get what he deserves.
another point is that lady is egoistic in nature.had it not been case she would not have got suraj married to a girl whom she barely knew anything about. it was her good luck that the girl turned out to be sandhya, suraj could have easily got married to a mad girl.it happens that even brife and groom is exchanged on mandaps in arriange marriages.
thirdly she thinks if sandhya gets pregnant her fear that suraj may go against her for sandhya's education will fnish.
having said that i agree with you that bhabho has double standards,firstly between man and woman then between her childrenss and bahus.
and i agree that when to have children is exclusive right of a couple and more of woman.
and yes one thing that i would like to add is that she loves suraj more than her other childs so she wnts to see the face of suraj's son, vikram's son is different thing. and ego does get better of everyone ,bhabho toh phir bhi has grey shades.
p.s. i m not a bhabho supporter πŸ˜† πŸ˜† Edited by -rp- - 11 years ago
SK_Hyd thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

I think there is no pressure on Sandhya, because Meenakshi is already pregnent.

Bhabho challenged that in three months she will give a khush khabri. Since she has not yet told about Meenakshi's pregnancy to neighbours, she has already won the challengeπŸ˜‰. 
She can simply tell Meenakshi is pregnant within few days and be happy.πŸ˜›

HalleNJ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
good post TM...I agree with UMDUji and rp...just one thing to add, this issue does not only happen in traditional families, but also in modern families with educated MIL...I've seen and seeing many cases like this, even among super modern chinese community in my country πŸ˜”
b2011 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Nice topic TM.

There is no pressure on Sandhya regarding this issue from anyone, not even from Bhabho.  The last time she created papad drama was to expose the truth and throw Sandhya out which Suraj defended with his right explanations.  In the present scenario, Bhabhasa has convinced her giving their own example of having a baby after 2.5 years.

This issue is being blown out by Daisa who always tries to put down Bhabho who easily gets provoked and tries to prove she is always ahead or winner in everything.  I hope Bhabho does not take this three-month ultimatum seriously.

I agree with all other comments regarding Bhabho's insecurities.