Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MithiBani thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago
Originally posted by: Yankees

My Masad ji; along with other Hindu's, was pulled out of a Moga bound bus, lined up and about to be shot by the Sikh militants but to their luck the authorities came in the nick of time.

What Rajev Gandhi did as a government official in retaliation was just ruthless. He had the opportunity to put an end to it.

Wow!!    I've heard many such stories of militants targetting Hindus during that period. That was a sad and bad phase amongst Hindu Punjabis and Sikhs in Punjab. Fortunately, things have vastly improved since then. But I do want the perpetrators of '84 riots punished.
DheeJattanDi thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

We all know Bhindrwaala used innocent Sikh's to shield himself in the Golden Temple. He should have known better than to take the 'war' against the government to a religious place; Indira Gandhi did what she had to do to counter his tactics.

It's a matter of opinion; a lot of people consider Osama Bin Laden a saint too; a Jihadi; doesn't make him one.

Those Sikhs entered and fought with him because they wanted to.. Sikhs were unfairly treated back then and that's what Jairnal Singhji fought for. Okay I agree, maybe he shouldn't have taken it to the Golden Temple but then what Indira did was even worse! Being the leader of India even the thought of bombing up the Golden Temple shouldn't have crossed her mind. She could have prevented everything! So I am glad her own bodyguards killed her... she deserved it! Yes both sides had innocent people who were killed but the numbers of Sikhs who were killed is a lot more than Hindus, and Sikhs were already a minority.. Hell, Sikhs were burned alive on the streets of Delhi. I know about Hindus being killed the way you just told me and that's terrible as well But I can't ignore the fact that everything did start with the Hindu government treating Sikhs differently just because of their religion.
wat_up thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Correct me incase wrong AB was in politics so i can see the outrage against him

Mithi-i see your view point as well..

And i know where Kirans is coming because my relatives esp in india were tensed at those times 

Edited by wat_up - 11 years ago
Yankees thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: Skepblun

Look, the Golden Temple is THE Holiest shrine for Sikhs and there is NO way they'd have tolerated Indira Gandhi getting the shrine stormed and even ordering firing on its premises! It was a foolish way to deal with Bhindranwale on IG's part. Staunch Sikhs still loathe her for this.

Rather IG's act made some Sikhs feel Bhindranwale was some hero/leader!
!

I know the Golden Temple is the holiest shrine; the militants, led by Bhindrawaala already had brought in weapons in the Guru Nanak Niwas. How could the 'religious' leaders at the temple tolerate that?

K.Sean - my sentiments would be exactly the same if terrorists like Bhindrawaala were hiding out in a Shiva temple. 
MithiBani thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 2

can't ignore the fact that everything did start with the Hindu government treating Sikhs differently just because of their religion.

No, the SIkhs were not being treated differently. They just wanted a Khalistan all to themselves which Indian Govt didn't agree to. And why should they? Tomorrow UP which is in the centre of India, might want to separate. Will they allow that? Quebec wants to separate from Canada. Does Canadian govt agree? And what Hindu Govt?? If you ask ppl, they'll tell you that Congress is/was ANYTHING but pro-Hindu.
atominis thumbnail

<font color="#FF0099" face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif">Let's be clear, both Hindu's and Sikh's were killed; I personally don't blame AB. A lot politician/celebs make outrageous comments in India and other places.

There were a bunch made after the Delhi Rape Case; did anyone use them as an excuse to rape women? 'oh she was wearing a short skirt; so she wanted to be raped'. Just saying people should know better than to use herd mentality.
</font>

LOL! Come on Meena! Don't you understand difference between rape and rioting mobs??

We are talking communal riots here. And history has witnessed how bloodiest carnage took place when mobs were incited on basis of religion. People are damn touchy about religion. It's still a sensitive matter.

A call to mobs to give a "befitting" retaliation to the assassination was WRONG. People doing it, be it Amitabh or anyone else were surely at fault for inciting mobs and encouraging rioters.

This saying, Oh people should use their sense is silly. It's not how things work in reality that too in a country like India where literacy rate is still below par and even educated ones are more likely to be influenced by dogma than exercise rational sense!
atominis thumbnail

<font color="#FF0099" face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif">I know the Golden Temple is the holiest shrine; the militants, led by Bhindrawaala already had brought in weapons in the Guru Nanak Niwas. How could the 'religious' leaders at the temple tolerate that?

K.Sean - my sentiments would be exactly the same if terrorists like Bhindrawaala were hiding out in a Shiva temple.
</font>

There may have been several reasons. They might have supported him on account of being a Sikh or an influential voice among Sikhs. Secondly he only brought in weapons whereas IG ordered storming of Golden Temple and opening fire right within the premises - instead os using tact to somehow get the target at least out of the building. Don't tell me so many brains couldn't come up with any better idea than firing inside Golden Temple!

IMO IG was an impulsive woman who made some very criticised and unpopular decisions. It takes immense tact to deal with situations in a country like India and more so if it involves religion!

She'd have been assassinated by a Muslim or Christian too if she'd ordered firing on premises of their holiest shrines!
tulsi003 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I don't think he would have said that; his mother was Sikh. So he's half Sikh himself. I think he got blamed for it because he had close ties with the Gandhi Family.
Yankees thumbnail
Originally posted by: MithiBani

Wow!!    I've heard many such stories of militants targetting Hindus during that period. That was a sad and bad phase amongst Hindu Punjabis and Sikhs in Punjab. Fortunately, things have vastly improved since then. But I do want the perpetrators of '84 riots punished.

things are much better, they were good before the 1984 riots too, Hindus were never mistreated in Punjab.

The way I see it, all three parties involved paid with their life. People should leave this behind them. We use to go to the Gurdwara a lot before, after the Kirtan, all they spoke about was how great Bhindrawaala was; people still using the Gurdwara as a median to propagate Khalistani terrorism, and imbed hatred in the minds of the lil ones. it's SAD.
Yankees thumbnail
Originally posted by: MithiBani

No, the SIkhs were not being treated differently. They just wanted a Khalistan all to themselves which Indian Govt didn't agree to. And why should they? Tomorrow UP which is in the centre of India, might want to separate. Will they allow that? Quebec wants to separate from Canada. Does Canadian govt agree? And what Hindu Govt?? If you ask ppl, they'll tell you that Congress is/was ANYTHING but pro-Hindu.

Allowing Khalistan to become a state would be the same as saying 'apne paaon pe khul khulaadi maaro'. Punjab is in a strategic area; whose to say (Bhindrawaala was very much in contact the Muslim militants at the time) the Pakistani militants wouldn't have taken advantage of a separate Punjab.

It's in Punjab's best interest to be a part of Punjab; just saying.