**Adult contents and the mention of rape in FF** - Page 3

Posted: 11 years ago

thank you so much for putting this up, much needed. I've been a regular reader, and the restricted blog thing gets really annoying 'cause you've happened to already read half of it. ðŸ¤” and then your left frustrated wanting to know the rest of it :| I hope people stop that.

and about the mature content, I've seen that alot lately, sometimes its way too explicit and all it gets me as a reader really uncomfortable, though im old enough. So, are we to report such posts? I'd be glad to help.
More than the guidelines, i payed more attention to inkquisitive illustaration guy. Geez that british boy is hot ðŸ˜³ Sorry for my off topic post ðŸ˜³
I would like some clarification on the personal blog issue.
I just read through the Terms of Use of India Forums and the following is the only portion that addresses this issue - Provision 26 of prohibited content includes:
"displaying an advertisement on your profile, or accepting payment or anything of value from a third person in exchange for your performing any commercial activity on or through the India-forums Website on behalf of that person, such as placing commercial content on your profile, posting blogs or bulletins with a commercial purpose, selecting a profile with a commercial purpose, or sending private messages with a commercial purpose."

The keyword in the above is "blogs or bulletins with a commercial purpose" indicating that there is some intention of financial profit. Most of the blogs listed here are personal blogs with no commercial purpose.  I understand that it may be difficult to go through every possible blog listed to weed out which ones are personal/commercial - but as it is currently stated in the Terms of Use, providing a link to a personal blog in itself is not restricted.  Please do correct me if I am wrong here.

As for those who have been writing in with complaints that there are authors who post part of their stories on personal blogs half-way through - there is typically a solid reason for it (whether due to the uncontrolled plagiarism that abounds here or a desire to exercise their creative freedom more thoroughly).  I understand it is an inconvenience to who have become invested in the story; however, do understand that both the reader and the writer get something out of sharing stories.  If the reader wants to continue to read in a vacuum without offering any sort of feedback to the writer and then complains when the story is suddenly no longer available, then I hardly think it qualifies as grounds for raising a complaint.  To put it a bit more harshly, If the content was free for your use, then you hardly have any rights to it.  Those invested in the story and those who want to find out how it progresses typically will put in some extra effort to seek it out.  Otherwise, abandon it and move on to the next one; there is no shortage of stories on IF.  

-Devi
Edited by -publicenemy- - 11 years ago
Hi ... I'm sorry I wasn't aware that posting blog links is not allowed. Is this only with regards to mature content? For example. 

"Mature content please read this on the blog"

Or is this with promoting the blog link altogether e.g. "You can also read this on its blog page"?

I tend to do the latter because none of the FFs I post on IF have mature content to them anyway. So does this mean no blog links at all on FFs? 

Let me know so I can remove them from all of my updates if that's the case.

Thanks 
PublicEnemy: I've spoken to my seniors and there has been a new rule implemented recently about external links. Posting externals links is not permitted.

The NO COPY and MEMBERS CODE has been added to the main page.
Edited by Angel-Jot. - 11 years ago
Originally posted by DropofDew

Hi ... I'm sorry I wasn't aware that posting blog links is not allowed. Is this only with regards to mature content? For example. 

"Mature content please read this on the blog"

Or is this with promoting the blog link altogether e.g. "You can also read this on its blog page"?

I tend to do the latter because none of the FFs I post on IF have mature content to them anyway. So does this mean no blog links at all on FFs? 

Let me know so I can remove them from all of my updates if that's the case.

Thanks 

You cannot post the link to your blog at all.
Originally posted by Angel-Jot.

You cannot post the link to your blog at all.

Okay got it. Sorry I wasn't aware... Is this a new rule?

I post a blog link on every update of mine so removing them will take a bit of time is that okay? I will defo remove them all asap.
very appreciated thread...
great effort by the topic maker... =D
Originally posted by -publicenemy-

I would like some clarification on the personal blog issue.
I just read through the Terms of Use of India Forums and the following is the only portion that addresses this issue - Provision 26 of prohibited content includes:
"displaying an advertisement on your profile, or accepting payment or anything of value from a third person in exchange for your performing any commercial activity on or through the India-forums Website on behalf of that person, such as placing commercial content on your profile, posting blogs or bulletins with a commercial purpose, selecting a profile with a commercial purpose, or sending private messages with a commercial purpose."

The keyword in the above is "blogs or bulletins with a commercial purpose" indicating that there is some intention of financial profit. Most of the blogs listed here are personal blogs with no commercial purpose.  I understand that it may be difficult to go through every possible blog listed to weed out which ones are personal/commercial - but as it is currently stated in the Terms of Use, providing a link to a personal blog in itself is not restricted.  Please do correct me if I am wrong here.

As for those who have been writing in with complaints that there are authors who post part of their stories on personal blogs half-way through - there is typically a solid reason for it (whether due to the uncontrolled plagiarism that abounds here or a desire to exercise their creative freedom more thoroughly).  I understand it is an inconvenience to who have become invested in the story; however, do understand that both the reader and the writer get something out of sharing stories.  If the reader wants to continue to read in a vacuum without offering any sort of feedback to the writer and then complains when the story is suddenly no longer available, then I hardly think it qualifies as grounds for raising a complaint.  To put it a bit more harshly, If the content was free for your use, then you hardly have any rights to it.  Those invested in the story and those who want to find out how it progresses typically will put in some extra effort to seek it out.  Otherwise, abandon it and move on to the next one; there is no shortage of stories on IF.  

-Devi

but demanding for a comment is no way related to plagiarism...?? they very clearly say that one must comment to receive the further links... asking the readers to comment is different... demanding is entirely different...  (good that they have implemented this rule for not posting external links... so NO more blackmailing readers for blog links)
and writers should understand that this is a PUBLIC FORUM, means everything in this forum should be accessible by all the members of it... and if they are uncomfortable with the public, i don't think this is the right place for them to expose their creations... 
one thing that depressed me a lot is... i felt that the readers are losing their self respect... 

i wish there should be a proper relationship between the reader and the writer... a healthy one... 
a reader should have a mentality of appreciate or criticize, what they read something and writers should not take it personally ...

Originally posted by jjsof

but demanding for a comment is no way related to plagiarism...?? they very clearly say that one must comment to receive the further links... asking the readers to comment is different... demanding is entirely different...  (good that they have implemented this rule for not posting external links... so NO more blackmailing readers for blog links)
and writers should understand that this is a PUBLIC FORUM, means everything in this forum should be accessible by all the members of it... and if they are uncomfortable with the public, i don't think this is the right place for them to expose their creations... 
one thing that depressed me a lot is... i felt that the readers are losing their self respect... 

i wish there should be a proper relationship between the reader and the writer... a healthy one... 
a reader should have a mentality of appreciate or criticize, what they read something and writers should not take it personally ...

Well, asking/demanding for a comment and plagiarism are of course two different issues; I was merely stating plagiarism as one of the reasons why people would make the decision to shift their stories to blogs.  

However, I do think it's the writer's prerogative to set the limits for who would be able to access their stories, whether it is by asking or demanding - that's their personal choice/style.  As I said before, they post their stories at their leisure; not because they have to.  Just the same, you read at your leisure, not because you have to.  If you don't like the stories, then it's a simple matter of choosing not to comment and moving on.  If you have constructive criticism, offer it - how they take it is really their issue.  If it is taken in a way that shows you that they have no tolerance for it, then once again, maybe it's not a story/author that you want to invest much energy in, and once again you have the option of moving on.  However, for a reader to think it's their entitlement to demand to keep reading a story while reserving the right to like/comment, I would state that it's the writer's prerogative to determine the parameters under which they want to share their story.  
If any author makes you feel like you are losing your self-respect, I would say that they don't deserve your readership.  By the same token, writers spent a great deal of time and energy in creating and developing a story and posting it on a public forum; given that there is no financial benefit to be had by doing so here, they would clearly value a readership that appreciates their efforts rather than one that reads their material in silence.  In short, it's a two-way street.

-Devi