By Medhashrree Dutta, TNN | Jan 3, 2013, 12.00 AM IST
inShare
More
A
A
READ MORE Phir Subah Hogi|Narayani Shastri|Gulki Joshi
It takes a lot of hassle to be a TV actor: Gulki
Gulki Joshi
In Indore for a personal visit, TV actress Gulki Joshi, aka, Sugni talks to us about her Madhya Pradesh connection, new-found fame and cliches that exist in daily soaps.

Spent most of the school vacation in Indore
Although I was born in Indore but have been brought up in cities like Delhi and Mumbai. But technically I'm an Indorean. I'll always be connected to my roots here in this city. Most of my school vacations were spent here as many of my relatives used to stay in the state. I have some beautiful childhood memories associated with cities Indore andBhopal. In fact, my MP connection has helped me understand the flavour of my show Phir Subah Hogi better. Unlike other actors, I didn't require any training to adopt the Malwi style. This is because MP's culture and traditions are in my blood.

Serials are all about trial and error
I was pretty apprehensive before devoting myself to any daily soap. To be very frank, I myself don't like these typical saas-bahu melodramas. When my serial was launched the TRPs were great but somehow the ratings fell and our writers, too, had to adopt the 'ek jaisa' concept to maintain the audiences' interest. It's not that we lack the courage to experiment, but, often, the response that we receive force us to resort to the ghisi-piti story lines. People often ask me that don't we need a change in the content of daily soaps? As in they've been the same for almost a decade now. But the problem is that even for us, who're directly associated with these daily soaps, it's still a mystery that who actually decides the flow of our shows? It's a pure blame-game and no matter how creative the director is, TRP's are the only thing that matter and focus of the show needs to be shifted as per its fluctuations. Honestly, I, too, don't know how all this works.

I'm not in Mumbai to make friends
Yes, I do share a nice bonding with some of my co-actors from my serial. I am, especially, close to my on screen mother Narayani Shastri. But I'm not someone who becomes the best of friends with everyone she meets. I'm here to do what I have always wanted to. I'm here to practice my passion of acting and carve an identity for myself. Friendship should be something selfless. You cannot decide that mujhe toh issi se dosti karni hai. It just happens. Therefore, I'm cool that I'm not a part of the so-called 'friends group' of the TV industry.

It takes a lot of hassle to be a TV actor
Working in a daily soap is so tedious. It's more like a 12 hour job shift where, just like any other profession, you're totally cut off from all social circles. After two hours of travelling, mugging dialogues and braving the high intensity light in the sets, one is exhausted to go out and have some fun with friends or family. In comparison to this, the working conditions of films are different. The work, there, is easy as there isn't any telecast pressure. You can, actually, get into the depths of everything. Yahan pe toh sab kuch jaldi-jaldi karna padhta hai.
Posted: 11 years ago
The TRPs fell, and they went to Saas Bahu to help the TRPs, instead of contemplating on WHY the TRPs fell?  Did the Saas Bahu help the TRPs any? 

This has made me believe that half the reason of these Saas Bahu crap is not the audience. it's the channels/CVs/whatever.  They just love placing the blame on the audience for their own idiocy.

Otherwise, great answers by GJ.  But no need to give the writers and CVs a pass that they needed to do it to maintain an audience.  The TRPs fell as the show faltered.  That's on the creatives.  And the Saas Bahu was their lack of creativity, or stubbornness.  It didn't succeed in bringing the high TRPs back.
The TRP's fell when the storyline became more and more morally reprehensible. Instead of taking stock and realising that the audiance is not buying their crap storyline and making changes they have  made the storyline even worse so that now TJS is lusting after Kuhu.

Are the cv's of PSH using this show as their GUINEA-PIG?(TESTING OUT THEIR SO-CALLED WRITING SKILLS)

Well,it looks that way to me as experienced writers wouldn't pen this crap,utter non-sense and rubbish show.
PH better cross check their (cv's) references as many things are being swept under the rug!
Some one Please tell her why TRP is low
Tell Her to ask the CV they know much better
What a waste of talent such as Varun, Narayani, and Gulki.

Varun and Narayani are very talented actors. Even Gulki is a very good actor. There was even an article where Varun was all praise for Gulki.

I'm just sad to see them in PSH. I hope Gulki gets a better role in a decent soap.
Originally posted by Mohini19

What a waste of talent such as Varun, Narayani, and Gulki.

Varun and Narayani are very talented actors. Even Gulki is a very good actor. There was even an article where Varun was all praise for Gulki.

I'm just sad to see them in PSH. I hope Gulki gets a better role in a decent soap.

I agree 100 percent...  The cast of the show  is very talented people.  Personally I like Gulki I like her spunk and she was doing  justice to Sugni until they spoiled the story.  Got to give it to them though...for trying to make the bast of such a crappy story!
 I loved her answers...she will not come out and out to  critzisse her bosses...I mean it's her job on the line and for a newbie that is a big thing!
This girl is a a very straightforward one.
thanks for the article.
Clearly the young girl is holding back on the real reason - we all know it or she is simply too ignorant to realize it. She doesn't see anything wrong in doing the show she is doing or the concepts she is selling and if she did, she's not going to shoot herself in the foot. 

The show is a complete bore and a disaster to watch. The Aditya Sugni jodi is horrible to watch and there is nothing left of quality in this show. It's a load of nonsense and I can't believe they are giving this show so many chances with a .7 rating. I can only assume since no other show is available to the fill the slot, Zeetv does not care and the show is not at risk of being pulled. Just think the show 30 minutes fore has 1.6 in ratings and nearly half these people cannot say and watch the next show!