Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 11 years ago
honey sing a chepest singer  😡
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Society likes to blame its failures on songs, books, games and movies. Rather than accept that our Indian society fails to instill the simple value "Respect women, do not rape" in our men, we want to blame vulgar lyrics and artists like Honey Singh. He made a good point in his interview. If songs affect people so much, how come no one is inspired and moved by all the patriotic songs out there. USA does the same with gun violence – blaming it on violent video games and song lyrics.

Cyberpsychooo thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: speedi

he is rappeer omg he is most searched personality of india and u dont know him..

Me either, i dont know him!
Originally posted by: Rehanism

<font size="2">As much as I think he and his songs suck, I don't like the idea of banning things..Banning is the job of autocrats and theocrats..Democracy should encourage open criticism and not forcible suppression of ideas..The real triumph would be when he's allowed to hold concerts and yet no one turns up. That would prove that people truly denounce his sexism.</font>

Sorry, the "Freedom of Expression" canon is non-applicable in cases of truly EXTREME vulgarity. Else obscenity laws would be meaningless. Plus, most of the people commenting here are unaware that this dude condoned RAPE in his song. Yup.
Rehanism thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: krystal_watz

Sorry, the "Freedom of Expression" canon is non-applicable in cases of truly EXTREME vulgarity. Else obscenity laws would be meaningless. Plus, most of the people commenting here are unaware that this dude condoned RAPE in his song. Yup.

The question is who gets to decide what is extreme and what is not! The very same obscenity laws are also used to harass young couples on Valentine's day and impose censorship on condom ads. And that is precisely why I oppose the obscenity laws..I want IPC to do away with all such laws based on prejudiced Victorian ethics that are no longer applicable to this time - which includes 295A (the blasphemy law) and phrases like 'outraging woman's modesty'(509), 'unnatural sex'(377), 'indecent portrayal of women', etc. These laws should either be scrapped or amended to use more objective and precise vocabulary that is not dependent on personal discretion of lawkeepers..
Freethinker112 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: krystal_watz

And then where does that stop? The argument will then become, video games create the killers. And what about movies, in which they show a rape scene? Should that be stopped too. And does only songs affect us? Maybe we should remove it from literature too? Where does this stop?

The things is, you gotta judge this on a case by case basis. Because a hard rule can easily be used to censor unharmful things. Why create censorship? People can decide what is done in a bad taste and what is not, and can just ignore things.
Originally posted by: Rehanism

The question is who gets to decide what is extreme and what is not! The very same obscenity laws are also used to harass young couples on Valentine's day and impose censorship on condom ads. And that is precisely why I oppose the obscenity laws..I want IPC to do away with all such laws based on prejudiced Victorian ethics that are no longer applicable to this time - which includes 295A (the blasphemy law) and phrases like 'outraging woman's modesty'(509), 'unnatural sex'(377), 'indecent portrayal of women', etc. These laws should either be scrapped or amended to use more objective and precise vocabulary that is not dependent on personal discretion of lawkeepers..

You're partially correct. But condoning of rape should be seen as an exceptional case. Contrary with the case of a couple cuddling in public, condoning of rape would find no takers among somebody who is remotely sane. So a ban would be justifiable in this case.

Originally posted by: Freethinker112

And then where does that stop? The argument will then become, video games create the killers. And what about movies, in which they show a rape scene? Should that be stopped too. And does only songs affect us? Maybe we should remove it from literature too? Where does this stop?

The things is, you gotta judge this on a case by case basis. Because a hard rule can easily be used to censor unharmful things. Why create censorship? People can decide what is done in a bad taste and what is not, and can just ignore things.

All of those are debatable. A rape scene in a movie can't be deemed censor-worthy since it (the act of raping) is shown to be a depraved and vile action. It's not about the effect per se; its about the inherent morality of the piece of work; in this case, the song. Since the song in question condones and supports rape, it should be immediately censured since no human being can condone the said deed.

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Society likes to blame its failures on songs, books, games and movies. Rather than accept that our Indian society fails to instill the simple value "Respect women, do not rape" in our men, we want to blame vulgar lyrics and artists like Honey Singh. He made a good point in his interview. If songs affect people so much, how come no one is inspired and moved by all the patriotic songs out there. USA does the same with gun violence ' blaming it on violent video games and song lyrics.

Movies, songs, games may not be the only factors to blame but contribute to  mindset of people. Children and also some adults are easily influenced by repeated viewing of violence and get desensitised.
Another case of school shoot out in US -
Could violent video games have played a role in his resorting to it?
Children are free to watch and enjoy  such violence without anyone telling them that it is not to be imitated in real life. Easy access to guns is also to blame though guns dont kill but people who use them who kill. I dont think the public in US protested against the gun laws. They are probably accepted as a norm as they see it in everyday life. Same with children who watch violent video games. They think it is normal part of life.

California sheriff: Youth who shot classmate felt he'd been bullied

CNN
January 12, 2013 -- Updated 0018 GMT (0818 HKT)
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    Teacher, school staffer "stood there face-to-face" with shotgun-wielding student The student, 16, showed up late to class with a 12-gauge shotgun, authorities say He allegedly shot one classmate but missed his second intended target
  • The two school staffers persuaded assailant to drop the gun
BrunoMars thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I somewhere feel this is not the right way. People should be able to know what is wrong and what right. Apperently they can't and cause I have no other thing that could be done instead of this I agree. This was one step that should have been taken. Sad that people can't take things like this lightly. And have rape and kill a girl with such a bright future in a miving bus.