Bigg Boss Season 6 : Alag Che!

What makes Sana "Characterless"? (Page 6)

Post Reply New Post

Page 6 of 54

chinky80

Goldie

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 1:17pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

ScorpionGunner

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "What makes Sana "Characterless"? (Page 6)" in Bigg Boss Season 6 : Alag Che! forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

huma11

Groupbie

huma11

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 1:18pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Dexterkilaila

Originally posted by huma11

Dexterkilaila I wish everybody could think in that way. It is really much needed post .u deserves a hug for that. Thanks Hug

Thank you Huma.Hug If there's one thing that pisses me off instantly, its sexist remarks from women themselves. It just boggles and disturbs the mind.Dead

100% right. Clap I too have same thought.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

simplypurpleDexterkilailasscomp32

Lallan-Top

IF-Rockerz

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 1:20pm | IP Logged

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

gbala9pari_roxxsimplypurpleDexterkilailasscomp32ChingaariPentaminous.Samraat_92

LovesLowCulture

LovesLowCulture

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 1:21pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by BaleHead

I grew up in India and can safely say that both men and women who court woo and marry people from other races are looked down upon. I agree that Sana is getting insults hurled at her because her behavior is perceived as "too forward" by members on this forum. I agree with you there. 
My problem is with extending this specific term, which in my opinion doesn't quite apply to Indian society. It seems that I disagree with you because of my experiences.
I often find myself cringing when I hear first-world feminists talk about third-world problems like they're the same societies. 
As for your point, I need to sit and ponder on it for a while. Check out what others have written/said about it. 
But all that, after I catch the latest episode of BB TongueTongue

I am a "first world feminist" sure. But my mom, her mom, my cousins all grew up in the subcontinent for many years. Through their experiences and anecdotes as well as through countless other women who go through this discrimination, I can assure you I don't just speak as a first world feminist. Women are looked down upon for their clothes, their hair, for their behavior around elders and men if it remotely happens to ape the West. Men aren't dealt with the same way. This is a sad fact. Trust me, I really wish I could be wrong here. But the pathetic part is I'm not. Sleepy

Perhaps, I grew up in a different part of the country... anyway these are issues (east-west feminism) that I've been thinking about for a long time. Since I'm an academic, I'm slightly wary of throwing terms around without specifying their meanings. But as far as regular conversations go, I agree that what is being done to Sana closely resembles s**t-shaming. 
I say resemble because s**t-shaming basically means a woman is insulted for not acting in accordance to the sexual mores of her gender in a specific society -- that holds true here. 
But the precondition to the existence of s**t-shaming in a society is that sexual attitudes/expectations for the genders should differ -- this is where we disagree. I feel in India, both men and women are expected to be prudish about sex. Your experiences have been different. But I wanted to shed some light on my position! 

Also, I wanted to stress that I'm glad you made this thread. Lately south asians have been more introspective about gender differences and women's position in our society...hopefully IF members will see how  even seemingly benign conversations can perpetuate hate and inequality. 

simplypurpleDexterkilailaChingaari

ChillHum

ChillHum

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 1:22pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by huma11

Dexterkilaila I wish everybody could think in that way. It is really much needed post .u deserves a hug for that. Thanks Hug

Thank you Huma.Hug If there's one thing that pisses me off instantly, its sexist remarks from women themselves. It just boggles and disturbs the mind. Dead
Great post Dexy or Shall I call you Lila..Smile
 But yeah there's a lot of hypocrisy around. And the women part don't even get me started , many times they are given this tag by their girlfriends themselves

simplypurpleDexterkilailasscomp32

-Roshna-

-Roshna-

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 1:22pm | IP Logged

I vehemently disagree. Men are not shamed in Indian culture for flirting, courting, wooing women. If a woman were to do that, they'd throw a fit.

Two examples in Bigg Boss itself:

1. Santosh Shukla aggressively chases Aashka and Karishma and his cronies encourage him and laugh at his "flirting".
2. Three men are lobbed into the BB house to "woo" Sana. Is she a piece of meat?

And, Sana is roundly castigated for "leading on" Vishal and Rajeev.

Such hypocrisy.

I do not like or dislike Sana but to call her characterless is beyond the pale.

Edited by TheRedQueen - 30 December 2012 at 1:23pm

The following 14 member(s) liked the above post:

gbala9frhnjnLeiatristar03pari_roxxgowrisacs-07ANNMT.simplypurplekhoslakadhoklaDexterkilailasscomp32ChingaariSamraat_92

Lallan-Top

IF-Rockerz

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 1:24pm | IP Logged

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

simplypurpleDexterkilailaChingaarisscomp32

gowrisa

Goldie

gowrisa

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 1:25pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by TheRedQueen

I vehemently disagree. Men are not shamed in Indian culture for flirting, courting, wooing women. If a woman were to do that, they'd throw a fit.

Two examples in Bigg Boss itself:

1. Santosh Shukla aggressively chases Aashka and Karishma and he and his cronies encourage him and laugh at his "flirting".
2. Three men are lobbed into the BB house to "woo" Sana. Is she a piece of meat?

And, Sana is roundly castigated for "leading on" Vishal and Rajeev.

Such hypocrisy.

I do not like or dislike Sana but to call her characterless is beyond the pale.

well said

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

ChillHumcs-07Dexterkilailasscomp32

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Bigg Boss Season 6 : Alag Che! Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.