Debate Mansion

Do you think rape is a cultural problem?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

Loving2011

Loving2011

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 12:12pm | IP Logged
Given the recent atrocities, many posters are saying that respecting women is a clear problem. offended and say that Indian men and culture are being generalized.   Is it safe to say that a lot of Indian men and women don't know what sexual consent or healthy sex is? Think about it. We come from families where sex is taboo to talk about. We watch how our dads treat our moms. We then see how our moms passively put up with it. We see our brothers and sons get away with things that we girls would be shunned for. We are told to keep quiet about rape, bc nobody will marry us and our attacker will get revenge.       We see articles, such as a survey in Delhi posted last year, that say that 1 in 4 Indian men have forced their wives to have sex.

I and other Indian women have confessed that we have been victims that have been forced and pressured. Why does this keep happening? Is it really about just running into bad apples or is there some kind of mentality that's contributing to this?

Edited by Loving2011 - 29 December 2012 at 12:46pm

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Pocketbepatient-bharti-epiphany.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Do you think rape is a cultural problem?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

zorrro

Goldie

zorrro

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 6:00am | IP Logged
This article brings out the shocking attitudes . The comments that follow  bring back memories of the brutality Disapprove 
http://daily.bhaskar.com/article/MP-BHO-delhi-gang-rape-she-should-have-submitted-to-rape-says-woman-scientist-4128063-NOR.html

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 6:44am | IP Logged
Originally posted by zorrro

This article brings out the shocking attitudes . The comments that follow  bring back memories of the brutality Disapprove 
http://daily.bhaskar.com/article/MP-BHO-delhi-gang-rape-she-should-have-submitted-to-rape-says-woman-scientist-4128063-NOR.html

Is that woman for real? Disapprove

Edited by Freethinker112 - 30 December 2012 at 6:42am

bepatient

IF-Dazzler

bepatient

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 9:54am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Loving2011

Given the recent atrocities, many posters are saying that respecting women is a clear problem. offended and say that Indian men and culture are being generalized.   Is it safe to say that a lot of Indian men and women don't know what sexual consent or healthy sex is? Think about it. We come from families where sex is taboo to talk about. We watch how our dads treat our moms. We then see how our moms passively put up with it. We see our brothers and sons get away with things that we girls would be shunned for. We are told to keep quiet about rape, bc nobody will marry us and our attacker will get revenge.       We see articles, such as a survey in Delhi posted last year, that say that 1 in 4 Indian men have forced their wives to have sex.

I and other Indian women have confessed that we have been victims that have been forced and pressured. Why does this keep happening? Is it really about just running into bad apples or is there some kind of mentality that's contributing to this?

Hi, I read your comments on delhi gang rape thread. I am really sorry for your pain.

Indian society mainly has families where men and women roles seem to defined . It is in the modern era that women are treated this way even though most of us are educated human beings. Female foetecide, dowry system, sexual abuse all these stem from the fact that many people think that men are superior. 

I really cannot understand why ? I mean are they superior physically ? no, some women are built bigger than men.  Are they superior in mind ? cannot generalise. there are kalpana chawlas too in our world.  Are they more courageous? no, we have kiran bedi too. 

Also in India, a girl goes to her husband's house whereas boy supposed to stay with parents to take care of them. This is why many parents want boys !!  Families have this stupid belief that they cannot take any help from their daughters !! Hence, the female foetecide, dowry etc.

About reporting abuse, society puts too much emphasis on virginity.  That is the reason why families don't report sexual abuses. They fear that it is a shame. virginity as per me is not that important as human dignity is. When a person is forced and abused, it is a crime.  We actually make sex a big deal over in India. I really feel students should have adoloscene classes which teaches about the changes that happen to girls and boys .  And how girls and boys are both equal and hence should respect each other.  And every family should respect their partners and thus teach by example to their children. If a man is imp for providing for the family, a woman is important for keeping the family intact. No more should it be that working out is for men and kitchen is for women.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

zorrro-bharti-

JulieD

IF-Dazzler

JulieD

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 7:46pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by zorrro

I cannot believe that a woman made such a comment!!! She must be a man in a woman's body!! With comments like that from women, is there any surprise that crimes of rape go unpunished? Shame on you for being a woman!!Angry 

zorrro

Goldie

zorrro

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 11:24pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Dostum

Had I been in Delhi.
What would you have done differently

Heart

Heart

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 11:47pm | IP Logged
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/jaipur/Ban-skirts-as-school-uniform-BJP-legislator/articleshow/17808806.cms

Such low and sick mentality makes me nauseous. 

atominis

IF-Sizzlerz

atominis

Posted: 31 December 2012 at 5:57am | IP Logged
The point is that we talk of empowerment but in reality we all have regressive mindset. Women are made to believe they are inferior and need to stay in "limits". Whereas men have an air of superiority about them. Females are just seen as fools or sex objects. They are easily dismissed as dumb or males start posting lewd comments for them even online.

People just talk but go back home and bear all discriminatory treatment. 99.9% females in India don't lead lives of their own and simply follow family or social diktat!

Post Reply New Post

Go to top