Posted: 11 years ago
In 2000, Hrithik Roshan had become such a huge sensation with KNPH both in India and abroad that he was said to have pronounced the end of Khans' era. KNPH was even more special because it carried no expectations, released in jinx month January and just took the whole world by storm.

Hrithik's debut and mania around it remain the only true blue phenomenon this generation has witnessed. He was on cover of every magazine, every brand was after him, he was a favourite across all ages, his posters and cards sold like hot cakes.

He was such a craze that he was ranked just second to Amitabh Bachchan by Forbes (International edition!) in their list of India's Most Powerful Movie Stars. (Huge achievement for a one film old star!)

KNPH broke records for most awards won by a Bollywood film. Hrithik was said to be perfect combination of talent, looks, charisma. His dancing skills were bedazzling. He had perfectionism like Aamir, fit body and charismatic personality like Salman and SRK. He made all Khans look pale and stale in comparison when he arrived.

KNPH released around same time as Mela and PBDHH, the latter flopped miserably while KNPH tore apart the box office.

His attempts to experiment were also praised.

It's said his craze was so much that fans could not tolerate to see him playing a terrorist in Fiza and some fans broke chairs and created ruckus in a Ludhiana cinema hall to protest against Fiza just because they were angry at Hrithik being portrayed as a terrorist!

Given such craze - it was for real, not manufactured by PR unlike today's times; I wonder why Hrithik didn't become the topmost huge star that he should have!

He gave hits like KMG, Dhoom 2, Krissh, Jodhaa Akbar, ZNMD and now Agneepath. He gave acclaimed performances in films like Lakshya, Guzaarish. But the narrative again shifted to Khans only (briefly it was also about Akshay the King Kumar).

People only talk of Khans, Akshay Kumar or Ajay Devgan even. Or they discuss future stars like Ranbir Kapoor. Rarely is there any talk about Hrithik Roshan - the man who once made the world forget about existence of Khans!

I feel he didn't even get much media coverage after Agneepath. It was all about Chikni chameli, Sanjay as Kancha or Rishi Kapoor surprising as villainous Rauf lala. (Whereas heroes are celebrated to skies after 1 hit!)

Hrithik is young, he's still the most handsome and fittest, he has a clean & mostly non-controversial image. But why doesn't he get talked of??

Why did he fail to upstage the Khans when he had everything going for him?

He outshone Khans with KNPH, KMG, Krissh and Dhoom 2 but after 2006 he never upstaged them.

(The marketing campaigns of Krissh, KMG were path breaking for their times still he never got any due for those whereas Khans get too much media coverage when they market a film well!)

He's among A-listers. But rarely gets talked of. His first decade has been better than Aamir's first decade still he gets sidelined. He ranked low even on all actors of the decade lists which came in 2010-2011.

Why wasn't he able to be the PHENOMENA which he was meant to be?

Will he ever dominate public imagination and BO like he did with KNPH?

(I made this topic because every day I see only talks of Khans or Ranbir/Ranveer type newcomers across all websites. Hrithik is nowhere. No one even hints that he may dominate after Khans decline! An actor who created such hysteria when he arrived, is out of discussions now?)
hrithik was my fav till dhoom 2, i even gave him another chance even when JA wasn't so great. but kites killed it for me. it was a total waste movie and only hrithik can tell, for what exactly it was made, there was nothing in the film i could say is 'good'. Guzaarish ended my fan ship towards him. a better actor was required to play this sensitive role. neither the role suits him..nor he could do justice. i did watch ZMND and agneepath..and he hasn't impressed me much. i am looking forward to see him doing exciting, but the flow of craziness i had for him, that is over. 
I remember Hrithik mania during school days. He'd become so popular that even GK and current affairs magazines published news about him. There was a scheme with Coca Cola that you'd win free Hrithik posters and cards if you collected Coke crowns. We weren't allowed too much of cold drinks so we'd go to school canteen to collect crowns or ask others to give crowns to us whenever they bought Coke, so that we could get HR posters and cards. Hrithik cards were as prized as Lay's Tazo collections back then! :D Exchanging cards and posters was regular.

Some kids who were never interested in films, even they would also play KNPH songs all day and try to dance like Hrithik.

He's perhaps the only debutant actor to be referenced a lot in popular culture after his first film. TV serials, ads and films (Mujhe Kuch Kehna Hai is one example) all used to mention Hrithik as a superstar and hearthrob.

International publications like The Guardian had written this guy had all potential to even make it in Hollywood. Some critics wrote he had makings of the most complete leading man ever.

Sony TV had a special Hrithik concert within 2000 - rare for a newcomer to have a whole show for himself in those times.

I am just posting all this to describe how phenomenal his entry was.

It's admirable he did not fail or whittle away like Kumar Gaurav. But I just wonder why he couldn't sustain the phenomenal stature and dominate everyone!

IN 2006-2010 he was in top 3 with Aamir and Shahrukh. Then Kites happened . Also Guzaarish flopped. What I didn't like was he said you can't judge art on profit and loss. If you know a particular painting won't sell that well . Cut it's budget . 
@NituTheTwisted

You at least liked him till Dhoom 2. I had stopped being enthused by him after KMG. He was better earlier. And he did have potential. But his attempt to position himself as Hollywood star spoiled it for me. Kites was definitely the nadir.

I just wonder how and why he got wasted!
he hasnt chosen any movies lyk d2 to conquer BO only 2 commericial movies( kites and Agneepath) in the last 6 years!!! cnt xpect him 2 rule BO lyk this PERIOD
@uk-dhakaboy

I agree. But how much due did he get for commercial films also? He had hits in ZNMD, Agneepath but rarely got anything. Whereas Khans, Devgan, Akshay, Ranbir get talked about even for one hit they give!

you really need to search more on the internet .Hrithik in the last two monthes all over the news without any single release .Facebook only choose him to be in their celeb list from bollywood . Marakesh give him the big achievment and screen 5 of his release .The most actor who the media talk about his next is hrithik without saying asingle words .You know the difference between hrithik and the khan or any other big actor all the other try very hard to get attention and make the media talk about them some use his relation and other his weried statment and other can do anything and begg anyone to be in the news but hrithik make the media crazy because he dont even care about him .

your problem that you take this forum as the general image and here so many people hate hrithik but outside most proplr choose him as the best actor and even the media with their few article said that right now hrithik , aamir and ranbir are the only true actor that we have today

you said people talk about chikni chameli and forget hrithik yes thats the reason why from jan till now when you ask who is the best hrithik name in every single list and at the BO

akshay more than 20 year and he never beat the khan or give the biggest hit

ajay really the man who lost his good acting skills just to get BO hit and even aith all the massala film he only has 1 100 cr film and will never be asuper star

the only actor who beat the khan so many times is hrithik in the term of  BO and award and when he decide to do massala films all the khan film to break any record for salman but hrithik did it so just imagine if he follow other actor steps and do only crazy massala film and beg the medi to talk about him he will create history but he will not do that forever because he is adifferent actor and choose different way to think .If he care two much about BO number one after dhoom 2 he will always do massala film but just imagine he choose to do historical and make it classic thats what we called atrue actor and superstar

Finally as i said in this forum their is so many people who hate hrithik and try to let him dawn but its just one places not the general image and when krrish 3 release people will know what we mean by new history and record because in simple words

hrithik didnt talk about himself and use iam iam iam but he let the other talk about him 😉
I'm going to be very honest and say I never saw the big deal about him, I mean okay his debut was superb but honestly I just never thought of him as an amazing actor. He's never grown on me and he never will do. He was good in Jodha Akbar, Guzaarish, Koi Mil Gaya and to an extent Dhoom 2 but honestly I don't find him appealing. He's just so overrated, I don't really rate his looks either imo...I never understood the hype over him so yeah...plus the whole image of being a perfectionist meaning to be like Aamir Khan has not worked in his favour...yeah recently Agneepath but honestly Rishi and Sanjay stole the show for me...they were superb. ZNMD wasn't HR's film...I think Farhan and Abhay were so natural.

Kites was disappointing. I watched it online and it was such a bad film trying to be so westernised and it didn't work for me. I don't hate him but I don't like him.
Edited by ruky786 - 11 years ago
I liked him till dhoom2 ! Its media who once overhyped him like they are doing it to ranbir now😆 After kites and guzaarish failed ,ranbir became the new future star for every1 and a way has taken his place !