Posted: 17 years ago
Omkara is a film about exploring relationships between people, blind devotion, staunch loyalty, greed, power, jealousy and the ultimate emotion of destruction that is often witnessed with blind passion. Omkara is a film by Vishal Bharadwaj, the film is yet to be definitively titled, and it could be titled Issak (Hindi word for love in Uttar Pradesh) or O Saathi Re. The producers are presently running an audience poll as to which title should be adopted. The film is an adaptation of Othello, a classic piece by Shakespeare. It is Vishal's second film that has been adapted from Shakespeare's works; the first was 'Maqbool' an adaptation of the renowned 'Macbeth'.

The film is set in the interiors of India in Uttar Pradesh against a political backdrop. Omkara is the story of a powerful warrior, who lets his blind passion and unfounded jealousy destroy his and other's lives. It is the story of a man who would go to any lengths for his lover, but at the same time would destroy his own love for the slightest disloyalty. Many a man has lost his life for love and obsession.

Omi or Omkara (Ajay Devgan) is the chief commander of a gang, and Langda Tyagi (Saif Ali Khan) and Kesu (Vivek Oberoi) are his chief accomplices. This gang indulges in criminal activities and sustains themselves. Although they are criminals, they follow a code of complete loyalty and honesty amongst themselves. One day Omi decides to appoint a lieutenant, and everybody knows that it will be one of his two right hand men, Tyagi or Kesu. However all hell breaks loose when Omi appoints the brave warrior Kesu, instead of Langda. He is spewing venom from within, but manages to maintain a calm and noble outward appearance. Langda vows to take revenge on Kesu.

He finally gets the opportunity and an evil plot takes shape in the wicked Langda's mind. Langda decides to use the love of Omi's life, Dolly (Kareena Kapoor) as a pawn in his sinister plan. He implicates Dolly and Kesu of having an affair, behind Omi's back. Tyagi is a crafty, wicked liar, he has the ability to lie in the most convincing way and it is this quality that he uses to convince Omi of Kesu and Dolly's betrayal. Tyagi takes the help of his wife Indu (Konkona Sen) and another accomplice, Raju to carry out his evil deed which will see the destruction of Kesu. But Dolly is besotted with her beau and Kesu is unflinchingly loyal to his chief in command and will always stand by his side.

But the seeds of jealousy have already been sowed in Omi's mind and his pride has been hurt and his heart has been broken. And hell hath no fury like a lover who is scorned and so Omi with his own hands manages to destroy his love and loved ones. But within the ruins of love, there is something more to come? Will there be a silver lining for the doomed Omi or will the black clouds envelop him?

The film will star Shakespeare's characters, Ajay Devgan as Othello, Vivek Oberoi as Cassio, Saif Ali Khan as lago, Kareena Kapoor as Desdemona, Konkana Sen Sharma as Emilia, Bipasha Basu in a special appearance and Naseeruddin Shah. The film is slated to be released in the month of August
thanx 😃 ......i dont really want to see this movie......it sounds kinda boring to me
thanx i really want to see it though
i heard itz went average to flop....anywayz tfs 👏 👏
It's an amazing movie.........I never would have thought Othello could be translated into Indian context in such an effortless way !!!!!!!!!

But this movie belongs to Saif Ali khan as Langda Tyagi, and Konkona as Indu. I am yet to get over their terrific performances.

Warning: DO NOT watch if you cannot stomach tragedies. The dangerous games that an insecure and a jealous mind can play has been portrayed in all shades, and how !!!!

Loved the movie.
I saw that movie and i was waiting for it for so long. it did not stand to what i was expecting. Ajays role did not stand out as the powerful guy. Saf was more in the movie then ajay, it was safs movie and i didnt even understand why vivak was in the movie. he had no role. and kareena looked really nice with the simle look but she was also wasted. no one was really given any high outstanding role to act on. i wouldnt want any one to waste thr 3 hrs on somthing thats not worth it.
i saw it, its ok nothing special but i have to say, saif ali khan was fabulous, i like his hairstyle in the movie better than what he has right now.
I just managed to see parts of this movie and its a true adaptation with a desi touch of Othelo. Saif was really good in the conniving role and the rest of the characters did good but he was the main focus in the movie and not Omkara.
it sounds interesting and i like reading Shakespeare so i want to see it
Very Good, just like Maqbool , Omkara was also a very good adaptation of Shakepere.