DOTW - Joint Values Of Joint Families

shubhika124 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 11 years ago

A week ago I read in my little brother's notebook how nuclear family is better than joint family. This was something new for me as I remember reading in my value education classes how joint families are boon. Defending the concept of nuclear family the book stated how its reliable to form a stable environment. The family members become responsible with a sense of consistency & individuality.

Coming to our show - Punar Vivah , joint family has been one of its strengthening essence since the beginning. The joint family system inadvertently contributes to your security, health and prosperity. This is one system that could help you to live a less stressful life style, the reason being you have a lot of people around to help you and to share your sorrows and joys. The one of the very few disadvantage it has is , lack of space & freedom. You are always expected to answer to your every second deed. But The advantage of the joint family system outweighs the disadvantages. In the cycle of life, we will certainly reach old age and will face the same problems as one's parent or grandparents have undergone. So, old parents and grandparents should not be deprived of the love and care of the near and dear ones.

Discuss.

Edited by shubhika124 - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

jyoti06 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 8
I think Joint families has its own share of advantages and disadvantages ...

Main advantage of a joint family is u can share your problems and get some proper councelling from your elders ... also in times of crisis , u get proper help and assistence when entire family stands together  .. .. during festivities and celebrations , u can always hv happiness all around in house .. u never feel lonely ..

Main disadvantage is your privacy is almost gone in a joint family .. u will not really get your personal space in the house especially if u r a newly married couple ... everything will b shared among all the members and sometimes u might feel its unfair especially if your husband is contributing the max but when it comes to the share , its distributed equally among all ...

So well its all about a proper balance and a show like punarvivah is really highlighting the positives of a joint family which is good 👍🏼...
-AarYaholic- thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
I am for a Nuclear family

Both the Joint Family System as well as the Nuclear Family System have their set of merits and demerits, one may rightly say that the latter attracts more disadvantages
But for me a nuclear family ensures stability, compromises are bound to be there everywhere but they are lesser in case of a Nuclear Family

My definition of a Nuclear family might differ slightly, It does not mean staying away from your parents (I do not believe in the practice)

The Scindia family is one ideal joint family and I believe it is to difficult to be as strong as their joint family is
They seem too perfect as a family to be real 🤔

Trust plays a vital role in both the cases, the Nuclear family can break as easily as a Joint family in the absence of that one ingredient

It is all about giving respect and respect comes from the heart only when you dearly love the person

(I hope I made sense) 😳
Edited by Frozen007 - 11 years ago
ronshaan thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Very good topic
Joint family is good but now a days people dont like to live with their parents and after their marriage they leave the house.
From punar vivah we can see this as a good thing... together in good and bad times...
good things can be ... together people can be rich or no problems for kids when parents want to spend some time away ... cooking together ... its good to have some 1 around to talk 2 or no one would feel alone !
keerthus.9 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Remember the story,
 ( where the old man asks his sons to break the sticks one by one and when they succeed , he gives them a bundle of sticks to break but they do not succeed )
this gives my answer.
aish96 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Both has got it's own advantages and disadvantages and its upto us how we take it.Good post .
nuresmeralda thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
love you topic..but i think both have its own good and bad things..now a days people will leave their parents house after marriage...
-AarYaholic- thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Lets have some more views PVians,the topic is 5 days old now 😳
Sakhile thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Every situation has its pros and cons. The joint vs nuclear family debate is no different and has been around for a long time.

The world and peoples values have evolved. A nuclear family is about self interestt and teh maintenace of the interests of the closest family. The joint family is about caring for a broader community.

In days gone by the joint family was the place where there was security from outside enemies. The larger the numbers the greater the protection afforded its members. This system worked well when there was greater attachment to social structures like the extended family, clan, tribe etc.

With the rise in nation states, this system became less needed and the nuclear family began to rise in importance. In the current materialistically orientated world, the nuclear family has taken the place of the joint family as each tries to secure enough resources for themselves and their chosen few.

Coming to Punar Vivah, the joint family still functions because of the strong patriarchal system that operates supported by a strong matriach. Joint families do not flourish where all the members have equal authority.

More and more people are bringing demanding a greater say in their own lives and thus the joint family which is based on patriarchy does not survive.

The nuclear family however, in giving people the opportunity to make their own decisions also robs them of the opportunity of communal wisdom and sharing of problems. The high rates of divorce and visits to psychiatrists are testimony to the fact that there are no longer sufficient support available in the nuclear family.
uluvmg thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Very good post..👏
i am for Joint  Family.. 👍🏼
Todays fastest world, women, specially working women ,find it easier to manage household chores as work can be divided among family members.. cannot rely on maidservant.
The advantages of this are that children come to trust a greater number of adults and to relate to them. & also having competition for higher education within children.. Also if anything happens to one adult - say going into hospital - the kids feel safe with the extended family members. there is always competition in children for higher education 
There is always someone to take care of the children if both the parents are working. You always find wisdom of your elders useful. Indeed, the pressure of handling children in a household comes down drastically as members can take care of children in rotation.
Yes there is also some disadvantages of JFS but i think in JFS advantages are more than disadvantages.