Posted: 11 years ago

Don't want Sachin Tendulkar to embarrass himself with failures: Boycott

• Press Trust of India 
  • Last updated on Friday, 28 December 2012 13:56
  • font size  
  • Print
  • Share:
    • inShare

New Delhi: Former England captain Geoffrey Boycott feels a poor series against Australia could force Sachin Tendulkar to retire from all forms of cricket as the world doesn't want to see the Indian "embarrass" himself with repeated failures.

"He desperately needs some runs against Australia in the Test matches in March, because I don't think any of us want to see him embarrass himself with more failures after failure," Boycott said.

"If he doesn't get runs against Australia, I'm reasonably confident that he'll see the light and call his own retirement. But you cross your fingers and hope he can get some," he told 'ESPNcricinfo'.

One of the game's all-time greats, Tendulkar had, on Sunday, announced his retirement from one-day cricket, bringing to an end a glorious 23-year-old career in the format in which he rewrote numerous batting records.

Boycott called Tendulkar's decision a reasonable and sensible one.

"It's very sad, it's a fact of life, that more of us, as we get older, we have to accept we just can't do what we used to do. There's no fun in accepting that, there's no fun in believing it. There's no fun in having to say it gets easier, because it doesn't get easier. It can't.

"So for him, it's tough, is one-day (cricket). As wonderful as he's been, we can't live on the memories. He's 39, and so I think giving up is very responsible and sensible.

Asked if India needed Tendulkar more in the Test format, Boycott said, "I'm not sure it's about what India needs most, I think it's about what's best for Sachin. At this stage of his career, he's done well for himself and he's done well for his country.

"I think he has to do what's best for him because if he plays better, whatever format of cricket, it's going to help the team he plays for, which is India. That's the most important thing."

"He (Tendulkar) hasn't played in the T20s for India for a while. ODI cricket, today, in the modern game, has become so physically demanding on the player's body, even 50 overs. As much as we all love Sachin, me included, he's never been an outstanding athlete in the field. He's never let anybody down, he's been competent, but nobody could ever call him a top outfielder," Boycott said.

The Yorkshireman further said, "So, as he gets older, like all of us, me included, he just can't run as fast as a youngster, he can't dive around.

"Not that he was a great diver but when you do dive around in the modern day - as you are expected to; it's a modern phenomenon - he's going to hurt himself a bit more. As you get older, you're going to fall the wrong way, your body hurts more, it bruises easier - it's nature taking over.

"He can now focus on staying fit, playing as much zonal cricket as he can - and that's important, trying to get some runs in that, which shouldn't be too difficult. You know (in domestic cricket) they're not as good as him. Even now, when he's past his zenith, he's still better than them. And he needs form. Form means runs, runs means confidence, and then he can play against Australia in March. 

Asked if Tendulkar played a role in transforming the 50-over format, Boycott's opinion centered on the Indian's longevity.

"Longevity more than anything. There have been other outstanding one-day cricketers, like there have been outstanding Test players. But it's the longevity, and playing in all countries and playing well. That's it.

"It's easy to get sucked into believing, when he's playing in the current day and doing well, that they're the best player ever. Hang on. That's being disrespectful to all the eras of cricket and all the players who've gone before.

"Sachin will be up there with the greatest in Test cricket and one-day cricket, but let's not forget there have been other players. So it's his longevity and playing exceptionally well all over the world."

Tendulkar amassed 18,426 runs in 463 one-dayers at an average of 44.83. The diminutive right-hander had an astonishing 49 ODI hundreds, including a double hundred  the first in this form of the game.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DB_reloaded thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

Sachin Tendulkar moved to tears by adulation

TNN & Agencies | Dec 26, 2012, 12.39 AM IST
inShare
Share More
A
A
READ MORE Tendulkar|Sachin Tendulkar|Sachin|Hanif Muhammad|Donald Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar moved to tears by adulation
As of now, Sachin Tendulkar says he will continue to play Test cricket, in which he has amassed 15,645 runs in 194 matches, including 51 hundreds. (TOI Photo)
NEW DELHI: Sachin Tendulkar said on Tuesday the love and adulation pouring in from fans since he announced his ODI retirement had moved him to tears. 

Tendulkar tweeted, "Words are not enough to express my thanks to each of you for all the love and support I have received over the years... and especially now in the last couple of days. Your expressions have brought joy to my heart... and at times a tear to my eye!" Tendulkar wrote. "Those magical moments of our ODI journey will stay with me for the rest of my life. Thank you so much :-)." 

As of now, Tendulkar says he will continue to play Test cricket, in which he has amassed 15,645 runs in 194 matches, including 51 hundreds. 

Having decided to skip the high-profile series against Pakistan, Tendulkar is now holidaying in Mussoorie with his family. 

Hanif Muhammad wants to meet 'best ever' Sachin Tendulkar

KARACHI: Pakistan batting great Hanif Muhammad on Tuesday rated Sachin Tendulkar better than legendary Australian Sir Donald Bradman and described him as the best batsman he has seen. "I am one of those fortunate people who has seen Bradman and Tendulkar bat, and in my opinion Tendulkar is the best batsman I have seen in my life," Hanif said. 

Hanif, who had, like Tendulkar, earned the sobriquet of 'little master' for his batting feats in the 50s and 60s, said he had not seen a better player than the Indian ace. "I am very sad to hear that Tendulkar has decided to retire from One-day cricket. I hope he continues to play Test matches. Because to my mind he could have played on even in ODIs for another two years," Hanif said. 

"For me, he still remains the best player in the world. I have never seen a more complete player than Tendulkar and I have always been a great admirer of his batting."
DB_reloaded thumbnail

Sachin Tendulkar better than Don Bradman, says Hanif

PTI | Dec 25, 2012, 05.20 PM IST
inShare
Share More
A
A
READ MORE Sachin Tendulkar|Sachin Tendulkar Retirement|Hanif Muhammad|Donald Bradman|ODIs
Sachin Tendulkar better than Don Bradman, says Hanif
Hanif, who had earned the sobriquet of "little master" like Tendulkar for his batting feats in the 50s and 60s, said he had not seen a better player than Tendulkar. (TOI Photo)
KARACHI: Pakistan batting great Hanif Muhammad rated Sachin Tendulkar better than the legendary Australian Sir Donald Bradmanand described him as the best batsman he has seen in his life.

"I am one of those fortune people who have seen Bradman and Tendulkar bat in my lifetime and in my opinion Tendulkar is the best batsman I have seen in my life," Hanif said on Tuesday.

Hanif, who had earned the sobriquet of "little master" like Tendulkar for his batting feats in the 50s and 60s, said he had not seen a better player than Tendulkar.

"I am very sad to hear that Tendulkar has decided to retire from one-day cricket. I hope he continues to play Test matches. Because to my mind he could have played on even in ODIs for another two years," Hanif said.

"He remains to my mind still the best player in the world. I have never seen a more complete player than Tendulkar and I have always been a great admirer of his batting," Hanif said.

The former Pakistan captain is due to leave for India as a goodwill ambassador for the Pakistan cricket Board during the current one-day series.

"If possible I will definitely like to meet Tendulkar and have a chat with him in India. It has been a great experience watching him bat all these years," he added.

Overall the Pakistan cricket community has paid rich tributes to Tendulkar but also expressed surprise at the timing of his retirement from ODIs.

"It is a bit surprising considering he was always such a fierce competitor against us and wanted to do well against us. His last two innings against us have been half centuries. I would have thought he would choose this series as his farewell ODI series," former captain, Wasim Bari said.

Bari is also among the chosen goodwill ambassadors for the series in India.
DB_reloaded thumbnail

Sachin helped me become an allrounder: Irfan Pathan

By Arani Basu, TNN | Dec 26, 2012, 12.48 AM IST
inShare
Share More
A
A
READ MORE Tendulkar|Sachin Tendulkar|Rahul Dravid|Irfan Pathan|Greg Chappell
Sachin helped me become an allrounder: Irfan Pathan
"Today I have the belief that I can bat against good bowling attacks. That is primarily because of Sachin paaji," said Irfan. (TOI Photo)
NEW DELHI: Irfan Pathan can safely call himself an allrounder these days. This is in sharp contrast to the times when he refused to take the tag and insisted that he should be seen primarily as a left-arm seamer. All that has changed now. Ask the man and he will tell you that it wasSachin Tendulkar who instilled the belief in him to take on good bowling attacks, never mind the new ball. 

The revelation puts in perspective Irfan's first knock at No. 3 in an ODI against Sri Lanka in Nagpur in late 2005. The southpaw smacked a quickfire 83 against a Lankan attack comprising Chaminda Vaas and Muttiah Muralitharan at their peak. While it's known that it was Tendulkar who pushed him up the order to do some 'pinch-hitting' but the master was already working on him. 

"Other than discussing my bowling armoury, he always talked to me about my batting technique. He asked me to change my grip on the bat to play in bouncier conditions. It takes time to get used to it. But when I had done that, it produced good results" Irfan told TOI on Monday, referring to his two crucial knocks in India's historic Test win in Perth in January 2008. 

"Today I have the belief that I can bat against good bowling attacks. That is primarily because of Sachin paaji and then Rahul Dravid (then captain) and coach Greg Chappell," he added. 

The results did show. Having opened the batting for a couple of times in Tests, Irfan has been more consistent in the shorter formats of the game. "Sachin paaji will be missed in the dressing room. Very few people can interact with youngsters the way he did," said Irfan who is likely to regain fitness after a knee injury in two-three weeks.
DB_reloaded thumbnail

Fans' love and support brought a tear to my eyes: Sachin Tendulkar

PTI | Dec 25, 2012, 01.08 PM IST
inShare
Share More
A
A
READ MORE Twitter|Test Cricket|Sachin Tendulkar|ODI Cricket|Mussoorie
Fans' love and support brought a tear to my eyes: Sachin Tendulkar
Sachin Tendulkar retired from the ODI format at the top of the run-getters' list with 18,426 runs. (PTI Photo)
NEW DELHI: Overwhelmed by the tributes that have poured in ever since he announced his retirement from one-day cricket, senior Indian batsman Sachin Tendulkar on Tuesday said the "love and support" brought tears to his eyes.

The 39-year-old, who quit ODIs on Sunday, has been holidaying in Mussoorie after announcing his decision.

Opening up on his Twitter page after the decision which left quite a few surprised, Tendulkar said the emotional reaction to his retirement left him overwhelmed.

"Words are not enough to express my thanks to each of you for all the love & support I have received over the years...& especially now in the last couple of days. Your expressions have brought joy to my heart...& at times a tear to my eye!" Tendulkar wrote.

"... Those magical moments of our ODI journey will stay with me for the rest of my life. Thank you so much :-)," he said.

Tendulkar retired from the ODI format at the top of the run-getters' list with 18,426 runs which included 49 hundreds and 96 half-centuries.

The diminutive right-hander, who played six World Cups, was also the first batsman to score a double hundred in the 50-over format.

Considered the most complete batsman in modern cricket, Tendulkar celebrated the biggest moment of his ODI career last year when the Indian team won the World Cup for only the second time in its history.

Tendulkar remains active in the Test arena where he has 15,645 runs in 194 matches, including 51 hundreds.
DB_reloaded thumbnail

India's Sachin Tendulkar steps down from one-day internationals

• Tendulkar retires after 463 ODI's for India
• Batsman steps aside to help India to rebuild for 2015

• Share141
  • inShare0
  • Email
sachin tendulkar
Sachin Tendulkar has retired from India's one-day side after 463 games. Photograph: Gareth Copley/Getty Images

Sachin Tendulkar has announced his retirement from one-day international cricket to allow the team to build toward the defence of the World Cup in 2015.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India confirmed the 39-year-old, regarded by many as the world's greatest living batsman, had decided to end to his 50-over career after 463 ODI caps.

Tendulkar, known as the Little Master in his home country, spoke to the BCCI president Narayanaswami Srinivasan before announcing the decision.

"I have decided to retire from the one-day format of the game," Tendulkar said in a statement. "I feel blessed to have fulfilled the dream of being part of a World Cup-winning Indian team.

"The preparatory process to defend the World Cup in 2015 should begin early and in right earnest. I would like to wish the team all the very best for the future. I am eternally grateful to all my well-wishers for their unconditional support and love over the years."

The batsman, who made his ODI debut in 1989, has made his decision before the upcoming matches against Pakistan and next month's five-match one-day series at home against England.

Tendulkar struggled during the recent Test series against England, passing 50 in only one innings and averaging only 18.66, and a decision over his future had been mooted. His statement indicates he still has an appetite to continue in Test cricket.

He retires from ODIs having scored 18,426 runs at an average of 44.83, his highest score an unbeaten 200 against South Africa in 2010. He made 49 one-day centuries and 96 fifties. The highlight of his ODI career was the World Cup victory on home soil in 2011.

Tendulkar's last one-day appearance came back in March against Pakistan, the team against whom he made his debut almost exactly 23 years ago. He also took 154 one-day wickets, his best return five for 32 against Australia in 1998.

"Actually I am surprised," the former India captain Dilip Vengsarkar said. "If he is continuing with international cricket [in Tests] then he should have continued with ODI also."

The Indian spinner Harbhajan Singh was quick to pay tribute. He said on Twitter: "Sachin tendulkar a great batsman. great human being. a great friend. great man to look up 2. proud indian. Real son of india. I salute u nd love u. 423 matches, 23 yrs, 18426 runs !!!! These numbers no body else wil be able to come close to. salute salute salute to sachin."

The England batsman Kevin Pietersen tweeted: "Statistics NEVER lie! They tell a very true story.. Well done Sachin! What an incredible ODI career.. #thebest."

DB_reloaded thumbnail
DB_reloaded thumbnail

nd of an era as Sachin Tendulkar exits one-day stage

Tendulkar was the first man to make 200 in an ODI innings
ANDREW BIRAJ/REUTERS
  • India's Sachin Tendulkar celebrates after he scored his 100th international century during their Asia Cup one- day international (ODI) cricket match against Bangladesh in Dhaka March 16, 2012
    Tendulkar was the first man to make 200 in an ODI inningsANDREW BIRAJ/REUTERS
Josh Burrows
Last updated at 6:56AM, December 23 2012

Sachin Tendulkar retired from one-day international cricket yesterday in a move that stunned India before a three-match series against Pakistan, starting tomorrow.

A Tendulkar retirement had been expected for months, but not a staged withdrawal. At least yesterday's announcement offers the Indian public a taste of cricket without the Little Master before his full retirement, expected during or after the four-Test series against Australia in February and March.

DB_reloaded thumbnail

Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement from India's one-day international cricket side

Sachin Tendulkar gave in to the passing of time on Sunday – up to a point – when he retired from one-day cricket.

Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement from India's one-day international cricket side
Little master: Sachin Tendulkar has retired from India's one-day team Photo: GETTY IMAGES

11:09AM GMT 23 Dec 2012

Comments

But he appears set to continue his Test career despite diminishing returns over the past two years.

Tendulkar made no mention of his future in Test cricket in a brief statement released on Sunday by the Board of Control for Cricket in India but it is believed he intends to play on against Australia in February.

He is expected to play for Mumbai in the Ranji Trophy at the end of the month in an attempt to find some form for the series.

Tendulkar has spent the past few days since the end of the Test series against England considering his future with speculation in Indiamounting that he would announce his retirement from all cricket.

DB_reloaded thumbnail
Sachin Tendulkar: Master strokes
Published: Tuesday, Dec 25, 2012 on 16:21 IST 
 Share this slideshow

He started his ODI career with two ducks but went on to smash every record in the book. What's more, he has created numbers that are the stuff of dreams. <i>DNA</i> celebrates some of his greatest one-day knocks.

Give me the ball (1993)
One over, six runs. Brain McMillan needs one hit to crush India's dreams. Sachin Tendulkar grabs the ball from skipper Mohammad Azharuddin. First ball: McMillan cuts to deep point for a single. But oh! Fanie de Villiers is run out attempting a second. Allan Donald misses the second, third and the fourth deliveries. Fifth ball: Donald finally gets a run. Now, the heart-in-the-mouth moment: the final ball. McMillan swings and misses. India win by two runs. Eden Gardens erupts. Yippie!