Brief synopsis: mariam is only 15 when is sent to Kabul
To marry rasheed. Nearly two decades later , a friendship
Grows between laila a local teenager, and mariam
As strong as ties between a mother and daughter
When Taliban takes over, life becomes a desperate
Struggle.yet love can make ppl to act in unexpected
Ways and lead them to overcome the most daunting
Obstacles with startling heroism.
Comment: lovely book on suffering of women.
Pls try and read it...!

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

-Swetha-cimbaTohru-Mystery-

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Book Recommendations by Genres (Page 4)" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

NigelMolesworth

IF-Dazzler

NigelMolesworth

Posted: 15 January 2013 at 8:19am | IP Logged
Title:  Ends and Means

Author:  Aldous Huxley

Genre:  Essay

Brief Synopsis:  About us, our society. Our social conditioning.

Comments: a quote from the book. "First Shakespeare sonnets seem meaningless; first Bach fugues, a bore; first differential equations, sheer torture. But training changes the nature of our spiritual experiences. In due course, contact with an obscurely beautiful poem, an elaborate piece of counterpoint or of mathematical reasoning, causes us to feel direct intuitions of beauty and significance. It is the same in the moral world."

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

-Swetha--Aarya--Mystery-

tehreem.

tehreem.

Posted: 28 February 2013 at 1:15am | IP Logged
Title: The Fault In Our Stars 
Author: John Green

Genre: Young adult romance
Brief Synopsis: Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.  Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind
My Ratings: 5 out of 5!
My comments:  This book, can't even begin to tell how much i love it! Initially i was a little apprehensive to read it because it deals with sensitive topic like cancer and cancer hits too close to home but i am so glad i took a chance and read it. Eveything in this book is real, the story, the romance, the characters, the dialogues and especially the disease, there's nothing like dying gracefully or other bullshit because we know cancer is ugly and unpleasent BUT this book is not abt cancer or tragedy. This book is real funny because I laughed out loud -- out loud. The characters Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters are witty, funny and inspiring.This book is about friendship, romance and life. I'd say take a chance and read it guys. In the end  i'll just say John Green. John Green.John Green. what have you done to my heart! 

Favourite Quotes:  

- "I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once." 
- "That's the thing about pain...it demands to be felt." 
"Oh, I wouldn't mind, Hazel Grace. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you."
- "The world is not a wish-granting factory." 
- "I've gotten really hot since you went blind."
- "I didn't tell him that the diagnosis came three months after I got my first period. Like: Congratulations! You're a woman. Now die."
"You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices." 

Edited by tehreem. - 28 February 2013 at 2:06am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Swetha-

-Aarya-

Goldie

-Aarya-

Posted: 04 April 2013 at 6:40am | IP Logged
Title:  The Satanic Verses

Author:  Salman Rushdie

Genres: Realism

Comment: The controversy revolving around the book is intriguing!

-Swetha-

helenayoo

helenayoo

Posted: 18 April 2013 at 12:44am | IP Logged
Title:  Catch 22
Author:  Joseph Heller
Genre: Satire/Military/American History
Brief Synopsis:  
Follows the lives of one lead character Yossarian and many other characters in a military setting in WWII. It is a commentary on how silly war is and the rules that humans make up in society. It makes you laugh and makes you think.
Comments:
Really really awesome style of writing unlike any other. And the sequence of the book is very interesting, it's not linear but there is a progression at the same time.

-Swetha-

VasusenaRadheya

IF-Addictz

VasusenaRadheya

Posted: 23 April 2013 at 2:37am | IP Logged
I want recommendations in horror genre , please , please , please .
Ok , here goes my suggestion...
Genre - Comedy
Book Name - Three Men In A Boat
Author - Jerome K Jerome Synopsis - It's an absolutely hilarious , heartwarming story of three friends out on a vacation on a boat journey . Reason for recommending - Fantastically well written . I've read this when I's 14 , but still read it whenever I can .

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

-Swetha-Bamonforever

rekha333

rekha333

Posted: 22 May 2013 at 5:38am | IP Logged
I'll like suspense thrillers and horror genres..

rohan_hey

rohan_hey

Posted: 25 May 2013 at 3:45am | IP Logged
Title:  The Seventh Scroll
Author:  Wilbur Smith
Genre:  Action / Adventure
Brief Synopsis:  One of the best adventure books I have ever read. Following is the brief synopsis : 

The Seventh Scroll. Nearly four thousand years old. A fading legacy from beyond the grave.

Within it lie the clues to a fabulous treasure from an almost forgotten time...

Duraid Al Simmu and his beautiful half-English, half-Egyptian wife, Royan, were the first

to discover the tomb of Queen Lostris. And with it the scrolls in which the wily Taita 

recorded the burial of Pharaoh Mamose with all his vast treasure.

But as their present-day search moves from the Nile to the uplands of Ethiopia, a savage 

battle begins, to unlock the Pharaoh's secrets. For others will stop at nothing to gain the 

prize as their own.

When Duraid is brutally murdered and their research notes stolen, Royan is forced to seek

refuge in England. With eminent and aristocratic archaeologist Nicholas Quenton-Harper, she can pick up

the pieces of her shattered life. With him she can find the courage to return to Ethiopia. For Duraid. For Taita. 

And for the dreams of an ancient Pharaoh...

I fell in love with the books main character Nicolas Harper. If you like adventure books,

you should definitely read this one.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Priya_nv-Swetha-

Post Reply New Post

Go to top