Chat Clubs

Forever 21 GEMs (Invites Only) (Page 28)

Post Reply New Post

Page 28 of 47

applenpeaches

IF-Dazzler

applenpeaches

Posted: 28 January 2013 at 12:13pm | IP Logged

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

dramagovaani21Soundarya220-SD-0

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Forever 21 GEMs (Invites Only) (Page 28)" in Chat Clubs forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

vaani21

Goldie

vaani21

Posted: 29 January 2013 at 2:16am | IP Logged
Shri, zorica u both are lucky, that u have visited all these places u have mentioned.Thanks for the beautiful pics zorica.
I have visited most of the places through books and moviesLOL
BTW Shri "Janne bhi do yarron is also my favourite.Draupadi's cheerharan drama,ROFL
My favourite movies. i have a long list.
my favourite characters in the tinkle are shikari shambu's wife,Tantri the mantri,champataka and Doob Doob.LOLI end up liking the villians and foolish charactersLOL
Even in the Arthur conan doyle's Sherlock holmes i admire Professor Morairty.Smile

Edited by vaani21 - 29 January 2013 at 2:12am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Zorica_Bgdbhakti20-SD-0

Soundarya22

IF-Dazzler

Soundarya22

Posted: 29 January 2013 at 3:23am | IP Logged
Am writing in a huge hurry...because i want to join in...LOL

Reading:
As I said, I love to read, and I have to read at least one page of a book, any book,  before I hit the bed. I just finished reading 'Atonement' by Ian Mcewan...again one of those long term projects that I finally completed.  I also collect and like to read  different versions of the Ramayan, every author has their own interpretation of the characters, I find the epic quite fascinating. Since I have done  MA in Economics, i simultaneously try to catch up on the subject...am trying to finish P Sainath's 'Everybody loves a good drought'. 

And I have to start reading ' The three mistakes of my life'...have an idea, let's all try and read it together...like an online book club..Smile

Travel
My husband and  I love to travel. We had our kids pretty late into marriage, so we had this tradition of going for an exotic holiday every year. It used to be a real task, coordinating our work schedules. But I'm glad we did that. While we were in London, again we made it a point to travel with the kids, so that they get used to travelling. We went to Croatia, Greece. Our first holiday without the kids, was in october 2012, we went to israel...this was truly one of the most beautiful places I have been to. 

Music
Music is my passion, if I had more dedication and determination, I would've become a classical musician.LOL. i have learnt carnatic music for years,  and also learnt hindustani music for a bit. Though I don't get to sing much except lullabies, music is always playing at homeBig smile

Movies
Movies is another passion...though I find it hard to keep up these days with the kids schedule. 

Phew..that went like  a marathon. i did'nt want to lose the thread of the conversation...Smile

More later...

bhakti2vaani21Zorica_Bgd0-SD-0

Soundarya22

IF-Dazzler

Soundarya22

Posted: 29 January 2013 at 3:35am | IP Logged

What an inspiring woman! Am going to share this with my gang of friends. SO many of them have girls and they are petrified..what do we teach her, not to trust the world around, protect yourself, learn to protest...

As the mother of two boys,  I have a huge responsibility as well. 

bhakti2vaani210-SD-0

apolloartemis

apolloartemis

Posted: 29 January 2013 at 3:51am | IP Logged
This woman is an inspiration. She picks up on what exactly makes rape such a henious crime- because of what the victim suffers, not because of what society perceives as suffering. Here in the States, rape is recognized as a crime against the victim- it is a huge shame on India, rape is often blamed on the victim.
I applaud the author for her example.ClapClapClap

bhakti2vaani210-SD-0

bhakti2

Goldie

bhakti2

Posted: 29 January 2013 at 6:47am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Soundarya22

Am writing in a huge hurry...because i want to join in...LOL

Reading:
As I said, I love to read, and I have to read at least one page of a book, any book,  before I hit the bed. I just finished reading 'Atonement' by Ian Mcewan...again one of those long term projects that I finally completed.  I also collect and like to read  different versions of the Ramayan, every author has their own interpretation of the characters, I find the epic quite fascinating. Since I have done  MA in Economics, i simultaneously try to catch up on the subject...am trying to finish P Sainath's 'Everybody loves a good drought'. 

And I have to start reading ' The three mistakes of my life'...have an idea, let's all try and read it together...like an online book club..Smile

Travel
My husband and  I love to travel. We had our kids pretty late into marriage, so we had this tradition of going for an exotic holiday every year. It used to be a real task, coordinating our work schedules. But I'm glad we did that. While we were in London, again we made it a point to travel with the kids, so that they get used to travelling. We went to Croatia, Greece. Our first holiday without the kids, was in october 2012, we went to israel...this was truly one of the most beautiful places I have been to. 

Music
Music is my passion, if I had more dedication and determination, I would've become a classical musician.LOL. i have learnt carnatic music for years,  and also learnt hindustani music for a bit. Though I don't get to sing much except lullabies, music is always playing at homeBig smile

Movies
Movies is another passion...though I find it hard to keep up these days with the kids schedule. 

Phew..that went like  a marathon. i did'nt want to lose the thread of the conversation...Smile

More later...

I never cease to be amazed by the amazing people who write here!!  So many fantastically active minds - Soundarya I just loved reading your post!  You are an economist who studies music, travels widely, and also takes charge of a family?!  Jai ho yaar - it is amazing.

I think your idea of everyone reading the same book and sharing their ideas is too good - now I have to find a way to get hold of the book!LOL I will start working on this right away.

Also, I like you have loved reading many many versions of Ramayan.  I am held back by being weak in all the various languages, so have read some in translation.  Valmiki and Vyas I could easily read - sometimes I feel like I have huge chunks of the Ramcharitmanas just floating around in my soul and it comes up for me when I most need it.  

I am unable to travel, but I am trying to expose my little son (he will be two years in February) to the idea that people in the world have all different ways of doing and thinking things.  We go quite often to the mandir, but I have taken him also to masjid, the gurdwara, the church - also given him different types of music to hear and different stories from other parts of the world.  The one thing I am most afraid of doing is raising children who think there is only one way to think or do.  This seems to be the very poison of our world.

So I love to hear the travel stories of everyone here!  It is very fortunate for your children that you are giving them this beautiful wide horizon across which to perceive their world. They will be blessed, having such parents.

dramagovaani21Zorica_Bgd0-SD-0

bhakti2

Goldie

bhakti2

Posted: 29 January 2013 at 8:15am | IP Logged
Originally posted by apolloartemis

This woman is an inspiration. She picks up on what exactly makes rape such a henious crime- because of what the victim suffers, not because of what society perceives as suffering. Here in the States, rape is recognized as a crime against the victim- it is a huge shame on India, rape is often blamed on the victim.
I applaud the author for her example.ClapClapClap

How is it that in one culture (U.S., for example), the victim is seen as the wronged party and is given support accordingly, where as in another (many others, I fear), she is shamed and is responsible for the loss of honour for her whole family?

I am asking the question seriously and not rhetorically. It must be an anthropological matter, hai na, that shame and honour is in some settings symbolised by the purity and control of the woman, but actually resides in the hands of the men.  In this situation is it not so that one man (or an army of men, sometimes, as is happening in Mali, Somalia, etc.) will rape a woman not to destroy her per se, but to destroy the man whose honour she represents?  In this case scenario, it is no wonder she has no value - she is just a symbol, a territory over which one or another man has control. I mean to say, the rape of a woman by one man emasculates the other to whom she is attached by rishta.

So why does this take place in one cultural setting but not the other? And was this difference always present or was the West once more like the East, or vice versa?  Is it a matter of primate behaviour?  That is what I thought when a neighbour explained to me the plot of the current track of Punar Vivaah, in which a woman's previous husband tries to force the abortion of her current husband's unborn child.  It is a disgusting track, but also quite primate-like - I do remember reading about some simians who will take over a group of rivals, kill the males and the babies, and reimpregnate the females.  Is this brutal sort of biology present also in our primitive brain areas?  

Thank god, though, we do have free will and can think ethically.  Now if only more people will choose to do so.

dramagovaani21Soundarya220-SD-0

0-SD-0

IF-Rockerz

0-SD-0

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 8:36am | IP Logged
Kamal Haasan's Vishwaroopam/Vishwaroop is making so much news.  Raving mad!!! See how many articles today in Bollycurry section.

State Govts, Courts, Censor Board and now Home Minister involved. WOW!!!

Kamal Haasan...though I do not like his films much and yet I do like him for his avant garde approach (seen films in Telugu...am not talking about Hindi, though some had remakes), I like his guts

His threat to leave the country is like Salman Rushdie and Tasleema Nasreen had to leave their home country. Bad isn't it ? And yet not surprising. Look at Chetan Bhagat. He is citizen of Singapore and yet lives in India. Because India is that prohibitive and inhibitive sometimes.

You know who pushed me for my Green Card application ? Though Andrew and my in-laws kind of naturally thought I would initiate, however, the end of my H1B was forcing me to rethink and here my sister and mother guided me. Both were like, Fine! you can come back to India, but come as US Citizen and India is not worth any of your love as you think of it. They said, better your chance in that country and then come back to do whatever you want to do for India or your people. My sister used to give me list of things as to how it would help me. And come to think of it, I came to this country to support my sister's higher education in US and I wanted her to settle down here as she would never have been to adjust to India. Strange it is !!! She kicked her opportunity and I felt cheated of my money, my investment and yet I listened to family and went through GC process. I still don't get it why she would kick the opportunity unless something deep inside snapped in her and which still doesn't make any sense to me. I wonder how she looks now. Been one and half year now since I last saw her.

dramagovaani21Zorica_Bgdbhakti2

Post Reply New Post

Go to top