*Merry Christmas + New Year to Everyone*

Posted: 11 years ago

YaY! It's a X-mas + New Year Time

Christmas is a sacred festival of the Christians. It is celebrated with great enthusiasm and gaiety all over the world. It is observed on 25th December to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.

It is largely characterized by exchanging gifts within families and by gifts brought by Santa Claus or other mythical figures.

Christmas was not among the earliest festivals of the Christians. The exact date of the birth of Christ was unanimously fixed some two centuries after his death, as the Catholic Church began to establish its tradition. Now Christmas is celebrated on 25th December in Catholic, Protestant and most orthodox churches.

The period of celebration varies in different countries. In the United Kingdom, the Christmas season traditionally runs for twelve days following the Christmas Day. These twelve days of Christmas are a period of feasting and merrymaking which ends on Twelfth Night the feast of the Epiphany.

Christmas period has grown much longer in some countries including the United States. It begins many weeks before. During Christmas people enjoy shopping and meet one another. The celebration continues up to New Year's Day.

The numerous customs related to Christmas vary from country to country. Most of the familiar traditional practices and symbols of Christmas, such as the Christmas tree, the Christmas ham.

The Yule Log holly, mistletoe and giving of presents, were adapted or appropriated by Christian missionaries from the earlier Asatru pagan midwinter holiday of Yule.

Besides this, in the UK and many Western African countries, 'Father Christmas' is more common. In Anglo-American tradition, he is believed to arrive on Christmas Eve.

In many countries, offices, schools and social communities organise Christmas parties and dances during the several weeks before Christmas Day. Christmas pageants, which include the retelling of the story of the birth of Christ, are common in Latin America.

People sing Carol and visit neighborhood homes and exchange gifts. Traditional feasting with special meal of Christmas dishes is also a part of Christmas..

Now, Let's go to SurYaLand n See how our SurYa are celebrating Christmas via following poem. For a time being assume SurYa are unmarried - My written lines are feelings of Sandy when she receives Christmas present from Sooraj..

The Present

All enfolded in a bow beneath my tree
A Christmas Present from you all graciously tied
I took a glance then got down on my knees
and shook it while wondering what was within.

All I wanted was to palpate especial and gracious
Though a gift was sweet to receive on Christmas Day
You didn't have to ask anybody twice
What I genuinely wanted were words you never did say.

So on Christmas Day I unfolded your gift
As I peeled the wrapping and opened the box
Inside was another box , so I opened it
Yet another box, you grinned like a wily fox.

Finally I took out a pillow formed like a heart
I thought this cute, but what did this heart mean?
Tears rolled out from my eyes, I felt like such a tart
"Oh darling," I said "I don't require especial things"

"But what does this heart truly mean"
He blinked at me and said Look inward
So I reached inside and felt something
A crumpled part of paper which I spread out wide

"I Love You sweetheart" written with flash
Glittered letters of red and gold inside
"I hope you aware how much I genuinely care"
"Sweetheart, Will you be my adoring bride"

Then out from his pocket he pulled out a ring
My heart did a flip, my soul did sing
I awaited so long to listen the words "I Love You"
But written in a Christmas Note will do.

I nodded yes and this is how the story proceeds
How a shy loving man does propose
Now "I Love You" are words I always listen
So Merry Christmas to all and Holiday Cheers!

Happy New Year in Advance

Edited by ami_dabh - 11 years ago
       True Meaning of Christmas

Just a week before Christmas I had a visitor. This is how it happened. I just finished the household chores for the night and was preparing to go to bed, when I heard a noise in the front of the house. I opened the door to the front room and to my surprise, Santa himself stepped out next to the fireplace.                 

"What are you doing?" I started to ask. The words choked up in my throat and I saw he had tears in his eyes. His usual jolly manner was gone. Gone was the eager, boisterous soul we all know. He then answered me with a simple statement . . .

"TEACH THE CHILDREN!"

I was puzzled. What did he mean? He anticipated my question and with one quick movement brought forth a miniature toy bag from behind the tree. As I stood bewildered, Santa said,

"TEACH THE CHILDREN!" 

Teach them the old meaning of Christmas. The meaning that now-a-days Christmas has forgotten. "Santa then reached in his bag and pulled out a FIR TREE and placed it before the mantle.

"Teach the children that the pure green color of the stately fir tree remains green all year round, depicting the everlasting hope of mankind, all the needles point heavenward, making it a symbol of man's thoughts turning toward heaven."

He again reached into his bag and pulled out a brilliant STAR. "Teach the children that the star was the heavenly sign of promises long ago. God promised a Savior for the world, and the star was the sign of fulfillment of His promise."

He then reached into his bag and pulled out a CANDLE. "Teach the children that the candle symbolizes that Christ is the light of the world, and when we see this great light we are reminded of He who displaces the darkness."

Once again he reached into his bag and removed a WREATH and placed it on the tree. "Teach the children that the wreath symbolizes the real nature of love. Real love never ceases. Love is one continuous round of affection."

He then pulled from his bag an ORNAMENT of himself. "Teach the children that I, Santa Claus, symbolize the generosity and good will we feel during the month of December."

He then brought out a HOLLY LEAF. "Teach the children that the holly plant represents immortality. It represents the crown of thorns worn by our Savior. The red holly berries represent the blood shed by Him.

Next he pulled from his bag a GIFT and said, "Teach the children that God so loved the world that he gave his begotten son." Thanks be to God for his unspeakable gift.

Santa then reached in his bag and pulled out a CANDY CANE and hung it on the tree. "Teach the children that the candy cane represents the shepherds' crook. The crook on the staff helps to bring back strayed sheep to the flock. The candy cane is the symbol that we are our brother's keeper."

He reached in again and pulled out an ANGEL. "Teach the children that it was the angels that heralded in the glorious news of the Savior's birth. The angels sang Glory to God in the highest, on earth peace and good will toward men."

Suddenly I heard a soft twinkling sound, and from his bag he pulled out a BELL,. "Teach the children that as the lost sheep are found by the sound of the bell, it should ring mankind to the fold. The bell symbolizes guidance and return.

Santa looked back and was pleased. He looked back at me and I saw that the twinkle was back in his eyes. He said,

"Remember, teach the children the true meaning of Christmas and do not put me in the center, for I am but a humble servant of the One that is, and I bow down to worship him, our LORD, our GOD."

Merry Christmas to all🤗

to all DABians🤗and and and😉

Welcome 🤗

Edited by Yaalini - 11 years ago
Symbolic meaning of Christmas Tree

The symbolic meaning of Christmas trees originates in pagan culture where the evergreen represents life, rebirth, and stamina needed to endure the winter months.

Scandinavian and Norse traditions honored the winter solstice (December 25) by decorating evergreens.  At this time fir trees were also burned to commemorate the life that stirs even in the most frigid grips of winter.  These traditions also marked the end of the old year and the beginning of a new year.

Pagan lore indicates the time between December 25 until about early-mid January are some of the coldest days of the year. It was believed evil spirits were at their strongest during these months.To thwart the nasties, evergreens were brought into the home as symbols of protection.  These evergreens were alight with candles, the idea here was to "light up" the darkest, coldest conditions and thereby shoo away naughty spirits.

It wasn't until about the nineteenth century that we find Christianity absorbing the bright, cheery symbolism of the Christmas tree.  The Christians had long held the fir as a symbol of the Tree of Life.  Early Christians knew their symbolism well, as they added candles and apples to their Christmas firs.  These candles represented the light of Christ.  The apples symbolized knowledge which spawned man's original sin according to Christian belief.  Here we see the light of Christ absolving the "fall of man" within the immortal symbol of the Christmas tree.

Jesus - Embodiment of Love

Jesus and love are synonymous. If you say love, you need not say Jesus and if you say Jesus, it means love. Jesus once said, "If you call God in my name, whatever you ask shall be given. For God is love." You find such a complete expression of love in Jesus. Whatever little glimpses you may get here and there indicates that fullness, that ultimate expression of the inexpressible that life is striving to express all the time.

Jesus said, "I have come to put man against man, father against son, daughter against mother." Very few people have really understood what it means. Whom you think is your friend is really not a friend because he or she makes your faith on the matter strong, and spirit weak. "I have come to put one against each other, I have come to put fire, not make peace." Jesus said this because he knew the depth of slumber. When you talk something nice, peaceful, everybody will go to sleep and when there is something sensational, people wake up and listen. This is how the human mind operates. And Jesus made all efforts for one to cross the mind and get into the soul, the spirit, the source of life, the Self. You break through the limited identities and recognize the Divinity within you. You are much more than just a human; you are part of the Divine. And you inherit the kingdom. And that kingdom is right here, right within you.

Love has no name, nor form. Love is abstract, yet it is very concrete. It has no name or form but manifests in all names and in all forms. This is the mystery of creation. You can see love everywhere in this creation if only you have an eye to see it. Just see a bird, and a small one in the nest. The bird comes and how it feeds its young one. See how the young one waits for the mother bird to come. There is love in it. There is love among fish. There is love in the sky. There is love underneath the water. There is love on the ground. And there is love in the outer space.

Jesus said, "Love each other as much as I love you."

Edited by ami_dabh - 11 years ago
merry Christmas dabhians in advance...enjoy a lot frds.
Merry Christmas Everyone 😊 😊

Thanks a lot for the informative post Ami Di. and superb poem for our SurYa,👏 lovely diction and rhythmic lines makes it a nice read ⭐️ ⭐️ 👏 👏
Edited by SAIBALROUTH - 11 years ago

Happy Christmas  and New Year To All

" Wish you all a Merry Christmas.
                      May the joys of the season
                      fill your heart with goodwill and cheer.
                     May the chimes of Christmas glory
                      add-up more shine and spread
                      smiles across the miles,
                      to-day and in the New Year."

Merry christmas & Happy New Year

ami...beautiful poem...u created sparkto this thread by ur poem...

Edited by udnis - 11 years ago
Merry Christmas everyone; And a Happy New Year! 🥳

Thanks for the informative post and lovely poem ami and Yaalini! ⭐️

EDITED:

btw, my idea of proposing on New Year's day:

"Baara mahine mein, baara tareekhe se ... tujh ko pyaar jataaunga re! DHINKA CHIKA DHINKA CHIKA!!!" 
Edited by -SamiR- - 11 years ago
Amlu...And you call me a die-hard romantic!😡
I don't write such poems darling, you do!⭐️

A wonderful Christmas present for us!
Thanks for all the info! Thanks to Choti too!🤗
Seasons greetings to all the DABHians!
Hope we get something Christmas special in DABH too!
May it snows in Pushkar...SurYa romace in snow! ( Rain toh hone se raha)

SamiR amma...Are you planning to propose someone on 1st jan?

Edited by farhana874 - 11 years ago

New Year
is the time at which a new calendar year begins and the calendar's year count is incremented. In many cultures, the
event is celebrated in some manner.The New Year of the Gregorian calendar, today in worldwide use, falls on 1 January, as was the case with the Roman calendar. There are numerous calendars that remain in regional use that calculate the New Year differently.

The order of months in the Roman calendar was January to December since King Numa Pompilius in about 700 BC, according to Plutarch and Macrobius. According to Catholic tradition, 1 January is the day of the circumcision of Jesus (on the eighth day from his birth), when the name of Jesus was given to him (Luke 2:21).

It was only relatively recently that 1 January again became the first day of the year in Western culture. Until 1751 in England and Wales (and all British dominions) the new year started on 25 March ' Lady Day, one of the four quarter days (the change to 1 January took place in 1600 in Scotland).Since then, 1 January has been the first day of the year. During the Middle Ages several other days were variously taken as the beginning of the calendar year (1 March, 25 March, Easter, 1 September, 25 December).In many countries, such as the Czech Republic, Italy and the UK, 1 January is a national holiday.

For information about the changeover from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar and the effect on the dating of historical events etc., 

With the expansion of Western culture to many other places in the world during recent centuries, the Gregorian calendar has been adopted by many other countries as the official calendar, and the 1 January date of New Year has become global, even in countries with their own New Year celebrations on other days (such as China and India). In the culture of Latin America there are a variety of traditions and superstitions surrounding these dates as omens for the coming year. The most common modern dates of celebration are listed below, ordered and grouped by their appearance relative to the conventional Western calendar.

Enjoy new year with lots of foods...

Edited by udnis - 11 years ago