Debate Mansion

A strong role model for indian

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

singhkir89

singhkir89

Posted: 21 December 2012 at 3:49pm | IP Logged
This is my honest opinon, i'd like some feed back please

Sometimes when i watch indian movies or shows, i feel like there are no strong women roles, and if there is its very little.
For example, indian drama. Probably the worst example imo. They often show a woman's goal in life is to get married, find a loving husband, and serve your in laws...what are they trying to teach young women. I understand its entertainment, but i feel like its promoting an unhealthy image of what an indian women should be..I feel like as a woman, we are more than just show pieces. We can achieve our dreams independently, and we don't need such images brainwashing us. The same with bollywood movies, do you think Katrina Kaif is a good role model for women? Certain objectification of women in indian media influences more men to treat women like crap..i've watched bollywood songs on youtube and read the disgusting comments that indian men write about the actresses( all typed in hindi) its honestly embarrasing..

Edited by singhkir89 - 21 December 2012 at 3:49pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

epiphany.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "A strong role model for indian" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

zorrro

Goldie

zorrro

Posted: 22 December 2012 at 11:11pm | IP Logged
The TV serials are for women who have nothing better to do than watching those kind of trash  so what other role models Wink LOL

-Raichu-

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 23 December 2012 at 9:47am | IP Logged
I'm assuming you mean female role models as your post centers around women.

You don't always need to look to television or movies for role models. Anyone can be a role model, your mother, grandmother, sister, neighbors.  There are many inspiring people all around.

And in celebrity role models we do have people like Sushmita Sen, Saina Nehwal, Sania Mirza, Mary Kom, Kiran Bedi who are good role models.

Considering the recent rape crisis in India, I think our men are in desperate need of good role models who inspire them to be gentlemen. Not the roadside romeos and lafangas of Indian television and cinema.

epiphany.

epiphany.

IF-Sizzlerz

epiphany.

Posted: 23 December 2012 at 6:39pm | IP Logged
You've highlighted all very valid points, topic maker. The leading lady of a TV show and a movie in India are as parallel to each other as two characterizations could get. But I don't think they are role models in any sense at all. Girls are a lot of things but I'd like to believe they do have discretion which directs em to really not assume the purpose of their lives is to get married. And the movie women hardly have any substance. Those who do like Vidya Balan and Rani Mukherjee from No One Killed Jessica and very recently Sridevi from English Vinglish would make terrific role models, ask me. 

Post Reply New Post

Go to top