Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

bhakti2 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Originally posted by: dramacrazy12

In past RK has been shown to nurse an almost deathwish. He cared for nothing including his life, he had nothing to lose. Life probably seemed like a long boring journey to him and he was in a hurry to get to the other end. This made him immensely dangerous and fearless. He courted danger much like a matador, took pleasure in shocking others by doing the unexpected and got his kicks from it. His madness was a way to keep him entertained and probably make him feel alive. He seemed to recognize the potential of same madness in others and enjoyed adding fuel to the fire and see them go crazy. His marraige with Madhu was a part of shock factor at the same time sending a message to the masses. However all this was before he fell in love yet again with Madhu. I would expect him to start scaling back on the craziness now. He has something to look forward to now and someone to care for. I cannot see him courting dangers anymore unless they are to protect Madhu. In same vein, I can see why he was impressed with Ballu's ambulance idea (it was crazy and out of box thinking) but at the same time I cannot see him prolonging his association with Ballu specifically if he senses that Madhu is scared of Ballu. He wants someone, he can control...it should be pretty obvious to him that Ballu does not fall in that category. My guess is his interaction with Ballu in the storyline was designed to introduce Ballu in Madhu's life. From now on RK and Ballu will be on opposite ends of spectrum (both are intelligent, devious and crazy). Anything else would be insulting RK's intelligence and capability to assess a person. Today effectively the ranks closed...Maliks reconciled with RK included in the circle. The only weak link here is Trishna-the big question is will her jealousy and anger for Madhu overcome her fear of Ballu.

I was big fan of IPKKND for a while and in my mind the show is following the same trajectory (from storyline perspective- complex hero, boring heroine) 

Really interesting!  When I read your comments they got me thinking again about the portrayal of the hero in many soaps.  We had discussed it once before on an earlier ED thread.  As you say, RK was the picture of madness...but madness born of pain and earlier suffering.  This same type of back story is given to so many "complex" heroes - Arnav Singh Raizada, as you mentioned, also Maan Singh Khurana (GHSP) and many others.  SD mentioned in the earlier thread that the vast majority of viewers of the dailies are female, so for this viewing population the complex hero with the wounded soul and angry-young-man-walla attitude must be very alluring.  There must be a very primal female fantasy connected the idea of healing such a person with tender love. Even better if the plot allows her to be nok-jhoking and energetic without losing the simplicity that seems to keep her character authentic. But once the hero begins to heal - we begin to have problems with him!  I guess that might happen when you enter into the properties of any fantasy - bring it closer into line with reality and it swiftly loses its charm and takes on the saw-toothed edges of every day life. 

I think the only way the director can keep the balance of hooking the audience through fantasy and still developing the characters is to keep the razor edge on the hero's personality as he faces the world, but render him gradually and continually softer in aspect towards his love.  Then a sort of private "world apart" is created for them, one which can be threatened by outside forces (which usually grow more hyperbolic and hackneyed as the show grows older) and cause the hero and heroine to pull that much closer together (saari duniya ek taraf hai, ek taraf hai hum). After this theme is played from many angles, the baby is usually born and the story ends.

What is the role for the female in all this?  I think it is her consistency.  Through all his weird misunderstandings and her misinterpretations of his actions, she must remain completely steadfast.  Even when he is climbing Mt Kailash and she has taken the train to Bangalore and never the twain shall meet again, she still has her sindoor and mangal sutra firmly in place and still grieves over his photo. Her initial purpose of bringing him back into the fold of emotional life continues, even as her sore feelings fuel further the fantasy of how beautiful it will be when they are reunited.

Phew - sorry - that was long and probably pretty obvious to everyone!  But I wonder if Ballu, as loose a canon as he is, won't be slotted into this rubric just to maintain the couple's journey toward one another? What do you think?

And, just as an aside, was I the only person who thought that using an ambulance as a convenience for blasting through traffic isn't clever and audacious - but incredibly obnoxious?  Just saying...
0-SD-0 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: bhakti2

And, just as an aside, was I the only person who thought that using an ambulance as a convenience for blasting through traffic isn't clever and audacious - but incredibly obnoxious?  Just saying...

See Bhakti,

If I had felt it abnoxious, yesterday, I wouldn't have wasted by brain and not bothered Namita, Hima, Zoya, Preet, Zoe, AA and Pooja 

Horrible me !!! sabka dimaag chaat gayi. Why didn't you mention that yesterday. I could have corrected myself yesterday itself. 

First I liked the ambulance idea and it really excited me (like RK), but later I regretted it. Just like my real life likes. You know, I don't think much when something appeals to me. I am like ...nahin darna chaahiye...but later on I feel, how foolish it was. πŸ˜† But I like that childish trait in me. Add zest to my life. Ab dekho...main hoon budiya...but I don't come across as Budiya. Right ? πŸ˜†
Edited by 0-SD-0 - 11 years ago
bhakti2 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: 0-SD-0

See Bhakti,

If I had felt it abnoxious, yesterday, I wouldn't have wasted by brain and not bothered Namita, Hima, Zoya, Preet, Zoe, AA and Pooja 

Horrible me !!! sabka dimaag chaat gayi. Why didn't you mention that yesterday. I could have corrected myself yesterday itself. 

First I liked the ambulance idea and it really excited me (like RK), but later I regretted it. Just like my real life likes. You know, I don't think much when something appeals to me. I am like ...nahin darna chaahiye...but later on I feel, how foolish it was. πŸ˜† But I like that childish trait in me. Add zest to my life. Ab dekho...main hoon budiya...but I don't come across as Budiya. Right ? πŸ˜†

πŸ˜† Budiya nahin - bilkul nahin!  You are definitely the most intelligent I know! (not joking!)
But do keep your darna marna zest dear - it's people like me who are cynical before their time that ruin all the fun of this worldπŸ˜•
dramacrazy12 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
[QUOTE=bhakti2

What is the role for the female in all this?  I think it is her consistency.  Through all his weird misunderstandings and her misinterpretations of his actions, she must remain completely steadfast.  Even when he is climbing Mt Kailash and she has taken the train to Bangalore and never the twain shall meet again, she still has her sindoor and mangal sutra firmly in place and still grieves over his photo. Her initial purpose of bringing him back into the fold of emotional life continues, even as her sore feelings fuel further the fantasy of how beautiful it will be when they are reunited.

[/QUOTE]

You are very rightπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ - an angst driven alpha male is probably ultimate female fantasy. When I look at all popular male characters, I do notice a subtle difference- Maan had shut himself completely but he was not malicious or an egoist, ASR had an attitude  and ego but he was a softie when it came to his family, Kunal is a brilliant drunkard who constantly drowns in self pity, RK is flamboyant without any regards or loyalty towards anyone including his family. Same back story, close characterization but the way they display thier angst or hurt and react to situation were different in each case. Now look at thier counterparts- they are all cut from the same mold- all of them beautiful, naive, family driven to the point of insanity, fighting for lost causes, priortizing thier families over thier husbands and so on. They rarely confer with thier husbands and go crusading on thier own only to end up as damsel in distress. Ofcourse constant waterworks are given. Once the confession happens, the wild male subsides and turns into a brainless lover boy bowing to his wife's whims while women stay consistent and continue on thier merry way playing an ideal bahu.That is essentially the death knell for any show.

For example it surprises me that even after Madhu finds out about Dip's obvious and Radha's perceived betrayal, she never truly reacts on it. She keeps forcing RK to accept his mom, does she even reason with him once that he was a child and his mom might have tried to provide him a father figure and security in an uncertain world. The way she goes about it implies that RK is wrong and his hurt is somehow not as big as Radha's. Her reaction with Dips is ever more harebrained- I have not seen her throw a single dirty glance towards her ever since she found the truth. In her place I would have probably hated Dips for hurting my love and banned her entry in my room.

Samething goes for her reaction with Trishna, she looks almost guilty when Trishna accuses her instead of telling her back that what happened was not her choice, she was forced into that situation.

I did like when she threatened Dips- just need the show to actually give Madhu an opportunity to follow up on the threat. I liked it when she refused to forgive Shamsher until RK stepped in.

For once I would like a female character that has same insecurities as male and tends to priortize her love above others once in a while. In MB, the show could take the route that Madhu stands just as strong as RK to protects Paddy and Trishna and her hate for Ballu is just as palpable as RK's towards Dips.Her insecurities could stem from the fact that she is not an equal to RK or she may have retained some her real father's craziness. It would be nice to see her subtly point to Radha that RK might be more open to accepting her if she stopped defending Bhatias at every crossroad. Can we please see her lose the waterworks and actually display some wilyness at some point. For example she take Ballu for a merry chase around the town while Paddy and Shamsher get married or she and RK execute a plan to render Ballu bankrupt and ineffective. I want her to be true equal to RK in all aspects. That keeps the show interesting because there is growth in both the characters as well as a balance of power between them.

Now about ambulance thing- I agree it was obnoxious but brilliant enough to appeal to someone like RK. In past, we seen Ballu as more of a brute muscle power with his gundas, this is the first time he displayed some out of box thinking so I guess I was impressed..
Edited by dramacrazy12 - 11 years ago
dramacrazy12 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: 0-SD-0

>>>

2)Why is Ballu hanging around Bollywood? What happened to his old business? He almost seems to have toned down in terms of his cruelty...wondering if this is aN act and to what end?

Puja,
Movie financing is not a bad idea. Lot of money like flows into film industry like this. As in one of my friend, who were traditionally into paper business, decided to diversify their business into getting into power sector and movie financing. On the movie financing, they did not want their names to be flashed out or come out in open...they managed it through a syndicate. I mean when I remember my friend, I am always amazed where did he get the crazy idea to get into that business...with so much risk involved. He was proud to tell me that he got more that his expected return. πŸ˜† Its like who cares which movie you are producing, just see which pockets of audience it would cater and just target that as your business venture.

Come to think of it I would rather have Trishna become a regional movie star than a Bollywood movie star. So many TV stars star in regional films. Look at Gurmeet, Shweta Tiwari and others...and the famous Ravi Jhankal. Trishna cannot just become a Bollywood star. But then she has a powerful relative in RK. Nepotism speaks.

Excellent point Shri...πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘.  In past Ballu has not been shown as an astute businessman, he has come across as a wastrel, politician and a brute. I just thought it was odd that he would leave his seat of power and move to Mumbai sans his gundas and actually follow RK around unless he has lost his power in his town. If I remember the curse was -as his unborn daughter grows into popularity/power, he will loose his power. Madhu marrying a superstar like RK definately makes her immensely powerful.
Ananya05 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: dramacrazy12

Once the confession happens, the wild male subsides and turns into a brainless lover boy bowing to his wife's whims while women stay consistent and continue on thier merry way playing an ideal bahu.That is essentially the death knell for any show.

For example it surprises me that even after Madhu finds out about Dip's obvious and Radha's perceived betrayal, she never truly reacts on it. She keeps forcing RK to accept his mom, does she even reason with him once that he was a child and his mom might have tried to provide him a father figure and security in an uncertain world. The way she goes about it implies that RK is wrong and his hurt is somehow not as big as Radha's. Her reaction with Dips is ever more harebrained- I have not seen her throw a single dirty glance towards her ever since she found the truth. In her place I would have probably hated Dips for hurting my love and banned her entry in my room.

Samething goes for her reaction with Trishna, she looks almost guilty when Trishna accuses her instead of telling her back that what happened was not her choice, she was forced into that situation.

I did like when she threatened Dips- just need the show to actually give Madhu an opportunity to follow up on the threat. I liked it when she refused to forgive Shamsher until RK stepped in.

For once I would like a female character that has same insecurities as male and tends to priortize her love above others once in a while. In MB, the show could take the route that Madhu stands just as strong as RK to protects Paddy and Trishna and her hate for Ballu is just as palpable as RK's towards Dips.Her insecurities could stem from the fact that she is not an equal to RK or she may have retained some her real father's craziness. It would be nice to see her subtly point to Radha that RK might be more open to accepting her if she stopped defending Bhatias at every crossroad. That keeps the show interesting because there is growth in both the characters as well as a balance of power between them.

@bold: Bang on. I will not be able to tolerate RKs character turned into a lover boy as it might have happened to other similar characters on television. So, far things have been fine in this aspect.

Coming to Madhu, all of us have been discussing for quite sometime now that CVs need to develop her character more. The show is named after her character and supposed to revolve around her(we assume). Considering how things have been so far, I feel that I am watching 'Rishabh Kundra-Ek Ishq Ek Junoon'(somebody had mentioned this in one of this week's ED thread). There is only little we have seen of Madhu, and whatever it is, does not stand out for me than the other soap heroines. It pains to accept, but it is true that RKs character has mellowed down to an extent and I fear(though hope against it) that it might mellow down further, the USP of the show would be affected. I might be wrong, but I am not very sure as to how Balraj's character would shape up now and keep us interested in the show. In such circumstances, it is crucial that CVs give Madhu a strong stand and bring her character out of that Pativrata, savitri patni mold whose sole aim in life is to please her husband with her culinary skills.
Hi everyone!
I have made a post regarding Madhu's character. Couldn't write it on my own words as I am bad in explaining in my own words, so took Permission from Demoncrazy and posted her views there.
Here is the link : http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3355665&PID=72178423&#72178423

Please do comment in that post. I will send it Cvs the post. You can copy paste your comments from here to there too. Hopefully MB team will work towards her character! 😊Edited by Cutieee1992 - 11 years ago
pnars thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Engager 3 Thumbnail + 6
I just read through so many interesting comments on Madhu's character, and  maybe by extension the characters of other soap heroines (Khushi KGSR for example - IPK is the only other soap I've watched).

These characters -

a. Love their family (whether adopted or own family)
b. Are very god-fearing
c. Very traditional - they like to celebrate all the festivals with rasms etc
d. Are not very comfortable with western clothes. They prefer salwar kameez as their daily wear, and sarees for "dress up" occassions.
e. Cook like a dream.
f. Have a "secondary" profession. Don't throw stones at me, but Madhu is a hairdresser/beautician, Khushi is a jack-of-all. They are not doctors or engineers or lawyers, or specially well-educated. 

Doesn't this list really cover most young Indian females - i.e., the target audience of the soaps? [Please think beyond the urban English-speaking centres. Most of India does not live in the metros.] 

My thesis is that the CVs/makers are very clever - they make the heroine consistent/somewhat one-dimensional in order to allow the viewer to put herself in the heroine's place, at least to empathize with her, and enjoy the story/romance vicariously.

That is the reason why Madhu may not be as fleshed out as RK (yet). She's a cipher for you and me, my friend ;)

But I have great hope that in the coming days, as the confrontation with Ballu looms, Madhu's sherni character will rise again. So will reserve my comments on future character development for a few weeks.
applenpeaches thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Girls, you should watch Anupama Chopra's interview with Salman Khan.. Starts from 6 mins.  This has nothing to do with the show.. But  thought you might like to watch.. 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/8qB3WwkgBWM  

Edited by applenpeaches - 11 years ago
dramacrazy12 thumbnail
Originally posted by: applenpeaches

Girls, you should watch Anupama Chopra's interview with Salman Khan.. Starts from 6 mins.  This has nothing to do with the show.. But  thought you might like to watch.. 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/8qB3WwkgBWM  

Just saw the interview and I found his take very interesting. I agree that smooching or making out onscreen to generate sensationalism is wrong but he cannot deny that he too has given pretty intimate scenes in several of his movies. Did I understand him wrong- he said that regardless of what character he plays, he is salman khan. It is an antithesis of what is taught in acting class where the suggestion is to lose your self in character and live him instead of real you.

I agree that smooching/kissing is not necessary to convey passion but a certain amount of comfort with your costar to pull it off platonically is definately needed.