Debate Mansion

Why not BAN guns altogether in the States?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

krystal_watz

IF-Rockerz

krystal_watz

Posted: 18 December 2012 at 9:21am | IP Logged
This topic is in reference to the horrendous bloodbath that a primary school in the States went through this week where more than a score of innocent kids lost their lives. And this comes close on the heel of the Wisconsin shooting. Not to mention, these two gruesome incidents have been preceded by countless more. But it astonishes the hell out of me to see that some people (well, LOTS actually) STILL refuse to come off of supporting pro-gun laws. WELL?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Why not BAN guns altogether in the States?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 18 December 2012 at 9:34am | IP Logged
I am not much knowledgeable about international laws of gun so correct me if  I am wrong, but doesn't certain countries of Europe like Switzerland have relaxed Gun laws and more guns per capita than USA but much less crime? Doesn't that point that people are the problem, not guns?

Actually, I am still on the fence about the topic. I am for the liberty, but it creates problem too. I think the laws should be made stricter, but banning is not a solution IMHO. Isn't everything a potential weapon? And can't a criminal obtain arms in an illegal way?

Snowey

IF-Rockerz

Snowey

Posted: 18 December 2012 at 6:00pm | IP Logged
I don't think banning guns is the only way to go, doing so will only act as a band aid to a wound that is sure to infect if left unattended. Said that we need to have strict laws and through BG check done. My worry is someone who gets a Gun legally may not have the same state of mind and in anger the gun in his hand can kill. The main fact to consider here is the mental health and stability, just like this incident most of the past incidents are by individual suffering from mental disorder. 

krystal_watz

IF-Rockerz

krystal_watz

Posted: 18 December 2012 at 7:32pm | IP Logged
^As Sudha said, people involved in shootouts are mentally unstable, and NOT "criminals" per se. Going by that, it wouldn't make it easy for them to get it illegally. So, even if people are the problem in the States, guns should STILL be banned till the problem gets put a finger on it.

chandaursitare

chandaursitare

Posted: 25 December 2012 at 5:45pm | IP Logged
remember prohibition.. ?

Though I strongly disagree with the NRA on their stand on most things, you cannot ban guns. Our second amendment gives us the right to be able to bear arms. They can try background checks and making it a bit harder for people to get guns, but the guy shot the children did not own the gun himself so not sure if that could have been prevented. I was surprised to find out that guns like that were legal.. who needs that?

NehaShah101

NehaShah101

Posted: 25 December 2012 at 9:35pm | IP Logged
I second chandaursitare. It isnt exactly possible to ban guns completely cause there are families which require it for their safety as well as women who use it for protection. But what they can do is create age limits, conduct thorough background checks on the families' criminal and medical history, etc. They can also device other methods, to reduce the dependency on guns like more police patrol and taser guns instead of bullet guns. But, in any case they should drastically reduce the ease with which people buy guns.

Rehanism

IF-Dazzler

Rehanism

Posted: 25 December 2012 at 10:05pm | IP Logged
There's no harm in allowing pistols or revolvers for personal defense, but I don't see any reason to permit SMGs and other semi-automatic/automatic firearms for individual defense...Except for authorized security agencies no one should be allowed to own such rifles..

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 25 December 2012 at 10:19pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Rehanism

There's no harm in allowing pistols or revolvers for personal defense, but I don't see any reason to permit SMGs and other semi-automatic/automatic firearms for individual defense...Except for authorized security agencies no one should be allowed to own such rifles..
What about innocent people be killed by their guns!!? If its a matter of self defense give different type of wepons, why Guns!!?!

I think GUN lobby in US is looking for ways to increase the sale of fire arms rather than control the crime,instead of making "NO GUNS" law they r panning to get more guns... if they are interested in building a peaceful society...Guns cannot buy peace.Smile

Post Reply New Post

Go to top