Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Are Indians raised in the West more "liberal?"

Loving2011 Newbie
Loving2011
Loving2011

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 10:39am | IP Logged
What is your observation? Do you really think Indians born and raised in America, Europe, Canada and such are REALLY more Westernized than Indians in India?

I've lived in America all of my life, but I feel that being born in America doesn't make one  "more liberal."  My observation is that Indians from mumbai make some of us young Indian-Americans look quite conservative.  

Of course, being liberal is subjective.  Some people may say they're liberal, but I don't find them to be so. An example is how a man told me that he was open-minded, but then he felt that Indian girls shouldn't dance in public. 

Edited by Loving2011 - 17 December 2012 at 10:38am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

kaamchornibepatient

theloupgaroux IF-Rockerz
theloupgaroux
theloupgaroux

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 8:16am | IP Logged
Yes, to some extent, Indians born and bred abroad are more liberal than the people living in India. Um, maybe because they are away from the society altogether. And one does get ideas and thinking from the society they live in, so it's quite natural for them to be more liberal. But then, there's natural preferences too. Embarrassed

Edited by Edlyn - 19 December 2012 at 8:15am
Yankees IF-Rockerz
Yankees
Yankees

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 6:32pm | IP Logged
I am way more conservative compared to some of my cousins and other people i came across in India. LOL

I think parents in the west try to instill the same values they remembered from India/Pakistan. They don't realize things back home have changed a lot compared to what they were brought up with.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

kaamchorniShaitan-Haiwan

Loving2011 Newbie
Loving2011
Loving2011

Posted: 20 December 2012 at 9:20am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Yankees

I am way more conservative compared to some of my cousins and other people i came across in India. LOL

I think parents in the west try to instill the same values they remembered from India/Pakistan. They don't realize things back home have changed a lot compared to what they were brought up with.

I agree with you Yankees. That's exactly what I see.

While I'm considered "too Americanized" by Indian-American men, I've had men from Mumbai say that I act as if I come from the village. ;)

It's easy to say that one will adopt the American attitude, but our immigrant parents still affect us.

Edited by Loving2011 - 20 December 2012 at 9:20am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

kaamchorni

zorrro Goldie
zorrro
zorrro

Posted: 22 December 2012 at 11:21pm | IP Logged
What do yo mean by liberal or westernised ?
VIRMANbest Goldie
VIRMANbest
VIRMANbest

Posted: 23 December 2012 at 2:43am | IP Logged
res
epiphany. IF-Sizzlerz
epiphany.
epiphany.

Crazy Creative Minion

Posted: 23 December 2012 at 6:03am | IP Logged
If one is born and brought up in a different country from their parents, they are not the citizens of the country their parents come from, y'know? The culture of the place they live in and the values their parents have instilled in them together make up their personality. Eventually when one is old enough and everything, it's solely their discretion and understanding and stuffs that either makes them a liberal or conservative person. You see, just because my aunt and uncle are Indian, doesn't mean their sons 'feel' Indian too. They have been born and brought up in the US and will obviously have the influence of the American culture on their personalities and then everything their parents are teaching em. And once they are old enough, they'd be persons of entirely their own. 

Point is, Indians raised in the West or any part of the world will obviously have the values that the natural inhabitants of that place have. So, you might as well say that an NRI from the West is more liberal than your regular adult born and brought up in India.

-Believe- IF-Stunnerz
-Believe-
-Believe-

Posted: 23 December 2012 at 6:39am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Loving2011

What is your observation? Do you really think Indians born and raised in America, Europe, Canada and such are REALLY more Westernized than Indians in India?

I've lived in America all of my life, but I feel that being born in America doesn't make one  "more liberal."  My observation is that Indians from mumbai make some of us young Indian-Americans look quite conservative.  

Of course, being liberal is subjective.  Some people may say they're liberal, but I don't find them to be so. An example is how a man told me that he was open-minded, but then he felt that Indian girls shouldn't dance in public. 

Studies says that,West has been thinking in terms of purpose, but the East has been thinking in terms of purposelessness..Eastern mind can only be pseudo-scientific...Western mind can only be pseudo-religious...or another way we can say...Eastern mind is female..receptive, just like a woman...Western mind is male...Logicaly aggrassive..LOL about india this country belongs to Morarji Desai,...he said b4 Pissing is a holy act! ,you are making the earth holy. It is not urine, it is water of life!.LOL ...Westerners when they come to India, they note it...when they land mumbai air port...the whole way on both sides people are defecating ...bt we indians no time to notice these things...cos We only see things which are not accepted by us...and we notice the things which are strange...You see beggars on the street..what is the matter? we Indians accept the beggars..bt westerners cant accept these acts..! yes there is bit diff there to viewg things...!Smile

Edited by Prometeus - 23 December 2012 at 6:42am

Go to top