Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Did anybody ever betray your respect for them? (Page 2)

krystal_watz IF-Sizzlerz
krystal_watz
krystal_watz

Posted: 14 December 2012 at 8:21am | IP Logged
^^You're correct about the redeeming part. But that'd come much later into consideration, AFTER you've got over the negative discovery. Until then, wouldn't it hurt terribly that your idol is not what he seemed in your mental image? I guess it would. I went through this recently. :(
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 12:44am | IP Logged
Originally posted by krystal_watz

Have you ever had your respect and/or admiration betrayed very badly? Like, you respected someone ( any great person, an icon or even someone you personally know) a LOT, ALWAYS looked up to them at all times, and then you suddenly get to know something that ruined the respect completely and left you shattered? 

I think this is pretty common.

I think it is human to have occasional lapses, but one should mend their ways and get back on track.
Perhaps the problem is due to our over expectations.

_Angie_ IF-Rockerz
_Angie_
_Angie_

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 1:44am | IP Logged
Originally posted by krystal_watz

S'pose you look up to a..say a great author/leader/artiste. You treat them as your personal icon, you try and emulate/integrate their lessons in your life situations. And then, something comes out about them that tears apart their image, or completely changes the way you used to view them. Your respect for them which was so central to your psyche, is made to be turned on its head. How would you feel? Would that not feel devastating? Would not it feel like a grave betrayal?

If something came up that was so contrary to my view about a person I would have trouble believing it. In all probability I would ignore it. If it was something disturbing then I would try to verify the information and/or broach the subject with that person and get any possible misunderstandings cleared. A person with whom I don't feel free to discuss is unlikely to cause such strong feelings.

Arwen. IF-Sizzlerz
Arwen.
Arwen.

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 12:13pm | IP Logged
krystal_watz ... your personal experience, was it from someone in your personal life or a celeb? 

I think the betrayal should hurt more if its someone you know and trust... But with celebs, somewhere along the line, it is our fault for buying into the public image or subscribing attributes to them that might not be real or true ... Not that it stops us from doing it anyway LOLLOL 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

_Angie_

krystal_watz IF-Sizzlerz
krystal_watz
krystal_watz

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 8:23pm | IP Logged
^Well, it was a "celeb" if you could call him that, but he was/is more than just a celebrity. He was an icon in a certain popular culture.
P.S. He's dead, and NOT ANY actor/singer.
krystal_watz IF-Sizzlerz
krystal_watz
krystal_watz

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 8:35pm | IP Logged
Actually, there are few people I admire on a personal level. I've never been prone to idolizing celebrities, or even properly becoming a 'fan'. But there are certain personalities who are far beyond the petty definition or bindings of a "celebrity". They're famous, but not for superficialities, e.g., an author/iconic leader/scientist/polymath. You care about them not because of any media-enhanced imagery, but for what WE construct from knowing about their lives and work. THAT kind of people. "Celebrities" if the word is a must for describing them.
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 10:03pm | IP Logged

I don't think I should blame others too much for making human errors and mistakes. These days I read a lot about scandals in high places by political and govt figures and celebrities ; guess due to the internet any little story spreads like wild fires. Public is often fully aware even before it hits the newspapers.

Go to top