Debate Mansion

Did anybody ever betray your respect for them?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

krystal_watz

IF-Sizzlerz

krystal_watz

Posted: 12 December 2012 at 12:02am | IP Logged

Have you ever had your respect and/or admiration betrayed very badly? Like, you respected someone ( any great person, an icon or even someone you personally know) a LOT, ALWAYS looked up to them at all times, and then you suddenly get to know something that ruined the respect completely and left you shattered? 

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

_Angie_White-Rose-GredForge--Anila-ANNMT.Beyond_the_Veil...EhSaas...

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Did anybody ever betray your respect for them?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 12 December 2012 at 9:37am | IP Logged
No, never. Those that I admired I still admire and those that I considered as scum continue to behave as such LOL .
The respect ,admiration and any other impression formed was not based on one specific act, event or attribute of that person, so even if at times I may have been surprised by something it would not amount to a feeling of being let down much less anything that could be termed as a shattering experience. Those whom I know I know them well and those I do not know I know that I know them not. I guess that doesnt leave much chance of feeling betrayed.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

zorrrosamvi.return_to_hadesBeyond_the_Veil

krystal_watz

IF-Sizzlerz

krystal_watz

Posted: 12 December 2012 at 10:09pm | IP Logged
S'pose you look up to a..say a great author/leader/artiste. You treat them as your personal icon, you try and emulate/integrate their lessons in your life situations. And then, something comes out about them that tears apart their image, or completely changes the way you used to view them. Your respect for them which was so central to your psyche, is made to be turned on its head. How would you feel? Would that not feel devastating? Would not it feel like a grave betrayal?

BirdieNumNum

BirdieNumNum

Posted: 13 December 2012 at 3:09am | IP Logged
ya, i do feel betrayed by people from time to time. Just when i begin to give them the benefit of doubt and believe they might be half-intelligent, they come and do something really stupid. It's like what Caesar must have gone through when he was getting stabbed by his buddy Brutus.Smile

epiphany.

IF-Sizzlerz

epiphany.

Posted: 13 December 2012 at 5:42am | IP Logged
I suppose we're all betrayed by people on a daily basis and that we admire one too many people for our own good, y'now for like so many different reasons. Personally, I happen to be a generally disappointed person so my hopes regarding people aren't very high. Ermm

But I have learned not to judge people when their image I had in my head comes crashing down to the surface because of their deeds. I just imagine myself in their position and reason with myself, that way the betrayal and disappointment I feel decrease.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 13 December 2012 at 9:37am | IP Logged

It really depends on the level of betrayal and how important the issue is to me.

I admired Bill Clinton and his affairs let me unfazed. But if killing Osama was a big hoax, then I'll be quite shattered over Obama.

On a personal level and people close to me, I'll just play it by the ear and go on gut instinct.

krystal_watz

IF-Sizzlerz

krystal_watz

Posted: 14 December 2012 at 2:03am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

It really depends on the level of betrayal and how important
the issue is to me.

I admired Bill Clinton and his affairs let me unfazed. But
if killing Osama was a big hoax, then I'll be quite shattered over Obama.

On a personal level and people close to me, I'll just play it by the ear and go on gut instinct.

What if it was something like:
You enormously admire a celebrity and they turn out a Tea Party supporter?

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 14 December 2012 at 8:00am | IP Logged
Originally posted by krystal_watz

Originally posted by return_to_hades

It really depends on the level of betrayal and how important the issue is to me.

I admired Bill Clinton and his affairs let me unfazed. But if killing Osama was a big hoax, then I'll be quite shattered over Obama.

What if it was something like:

You enormously admire a celebrity and they turn out a Tea Party supporter?

It really depends on why they are tea partiers. If they support state rights and fiscal conservatism then I don't mind as much. But I really have a hard time with social conservatives.

But never say never. I used to tell myself that I could never be friends with atheists, highly religious people, people who don't believe in evolution, homophobic people ' but over time I've found that sometimes you end up overlooking these things because they have other redeeming qualities.

That is why it is hard to define what will amount to betrayal. It is not that I will tolerate everything or will never feel betrayed. But it is just hard to pinpoint what makes you feel betrayed and how you will react.

Edited by return_to_hades - 14 December 2012 at 7:58am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top