Harry Potter

I wonder ... about Dobby

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

gabbafoo

gabbafoo

Posted: 11 December 2012 at 8:39pm | IP Logged
Did anyone except me ever wondered about Dobby ??

The point is ... he is a "Houself" so he is treated badly .. and with no respect like cockroaches and everything.

But!!! in the Book and movies .. he is like one of the best magicans. He can cast WITHOUT a wand ... and he doesn't need to say the spell (in the movie I am not absolutly sure about the Book atm.)

So he is a better magician than his "master"... but why ?

That is what I always wondered about .. because in a magic world .. the better skills should lead to a higher ranking and reputition .. but houseelves are like slaves.

Did anyone ever thought the same Stuff ?? ^^

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Nupsdipsmomo121Ephemera

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "I wonder ... about Dobby" in Harry Potter forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

-GredForge-

IF-Rockerz

-GredForge-

Posted: 12 December 2012 at 10:45am | IP Logged
did u read abt the mentality of the houseelves? they believe they exist and have magic to serve their masters ! its their way !and they are bound bt some kind of charm where they cannot reveal any of their masters secrets and use their magic only when ordered! 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Ephemera

gabbafoo

gabbafoo

Posted: 12 December 2012 at 1:31pm | IP Logged
It is a while back... but yes.

I just can't understand, why they would "choose" to serve if they are certainly better in some skills.
And the thing wich make me ask that too is, that they can be free - IF they get a present from their "superior" master.
After Dobby was "gifted" with the sock of Harry he was able to cast whenever he wanted...

maybe its just me who thinks that this part is a bit "thin" on explanations.
I would understand, if the Houseelves would have a dept by their masters because of other generations wich ... i don't know .. betrayed them .. or something.

But thanks for your reply ^^.

Edited by gabbafoo - 12 December 2012 at 1:30pm

NehaShah101

NehaShah101

Posted: 16 December 2012 at 10:12pm | IP Logged
Answering your first question "why they would "choose" to serve if they are certainly better in some skills." - the main point of what makes them powerful lies in the fact that they can only utilize it if they are using it for their masters and not for themselves.

And your second question " that they can be free - IF they get a present from their "superior" master."- Dobby wanted to be free, but the other house elves consider it a dishonor and against their morals to be free. Thatswhy if you remember Winky who was Bartemius Crouch Sr's elf, was ready to keep secrets for the family and never want to be free and she looked down upon Dobby for ditching his masters.Smile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Ephemera

Ephemera

IF-Sizzlerz

Ephemera

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 1:08am | IP Logged
if you teach a children A for ball...repeatedly for say 100 years...then A will come to be denoted as ball...same way the elves were treated badly for time immemorial that the elves themselves have come to think that they have to serve a master!! as the present generation never have heard or seen a free elf before...
hence i guess they CHOSE to serve!! hope i made senseConfused

and reg the magic cast!! elves are the only creatures which don't need wand!! there creature profile itself is made up of wandless magic.. where as a witch/wizard need to train to cast wandless magic...not vermin like one they are treated...and i guess the closest a witch/wizard can come is there uncontrolled magic when they are young...
yes they are superior...but then again...nobody made them AWARE that they are not meant to be treated...you could say there is a reluctance to accept change by the mass of elves...

Post Reply New Post

Go to top