Why BoxOffice India have lower total collections?

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 11 years ago

Why our Figures are Lesser than Other Sites ?

Posted on December 8, 2012 | 1 Comment

Many People Have been constantly asking me about why the figures reported by BoxOfficeDay.com (BoxOfficeIndia) is lesser than what most sites report.

Let me explain you why that happens.

Firstly, the Figures we and other sites report for the Multiplexes are same. If you notice for Multiplex Oriented films there isn't much difference in the figure wereport and the others.

The Major Difference comes in the case of Single Screens. SingleScreens charge a price for just running the movies. This is needed for the functioning of Single Screens and includes cost for things like Electricity, etc. This is not a Taxable Income, i.e this is counted as loss/investment and theSingle Screens are not supposed to pay tax on this amount.

As a result of this we do not include this figure in the total Gross Collections. Because to arrive at net collections, we deduct tax from gross figure. So, it is unjust to include an amount in the gross collections which is not taxable.

Hence, the Net Figures we Report are lower than other sites and I feel this is a more genuine method. Because all Distributor shares are calculated on the basis of the net figures we report. And in the End it is the distributor share which matters.

Let me Give an Example.

We Reported JTHJ's total collections till now around 106 crore and thedistributor share around 56 crore. This share is around 52-53% of the net figure and seems genuine.

Most Other sites reported the Collections of JTHJ around 125-130 crore and thedistributor share, same as ours, 56 crore. This Figure is around 42-43% of the net figure and something is fishy about it. Such Low % of distributor share is only possible if the film has done significant business in 3rd or 4th Week which is not the case with JTHJ.

So it's up to you to trust whomever you want… 

I believe BOI  over Taran and Komal

BOI has been around since last 30 years or so

Taran and Komal started 6 years ago.

BOI collections aren't as messy and different. BOI is the real source at the end of the day for film industry 

They said ETT made 187cr while Taran claimed 198cr. Despite the difference I support BOI
Edited by rambo_ka_baap - 11 years ago
BOI is not here from 30 yrs , it started in 2003 😛

BOI is more credible for their numbers rather than their commentary, Taran/komal quote producers's numbers which are almost every-time inflated. 

Originally posted by nirmalbaba

BOI is more credible for their numbers rather than their commentary, Taran/komal quote producers's numbers which are almost every-time inflated. 

I don't think so!! otherwise every movie would be declared a hit!!
Originally posted by nirmalbaba

Box Office India exists since Sholay days. Not the website I am talking about but the BOI office.
Taran used to have archives..he used to post city wise ..not circuitwise.
 Any week,any year you could type at Bollywood Hungama.Now that button is not there.

There is no site where you can go and check weekend weekly collections of a barfi..agent vinod.mohabatein  etc (which has experience of even 5 years which is recognised all round..)

Over the years only the figure186/187 for ETT(which is simply rocking) will stand to scrutiny..Because they stand by their numbers.

Just because someone tweets that Eros says Khiladi786 made 11 crores..the taxman is not going to collect taxes on that amount..😆.

None of us fans ..none of us likes BOI numbers..they release territory wise..and not a single person ..not even Taran has the guts to refute or challenge that.

Has any production house or trade guy or actor challenged BOI..

They are the most consistent..If you want, add 10% to every film,to compare...
Edited by you2 - 11 years ago
Originally posted by rambo_ka_baap

Box Office India exists since Sholay days. Not the website I am talking about but the BOI office.

No, it doesnt only trade magazine which exists from that time is Film information , which was the only credible sources till internet came

But sadly that was ruined when they made taran their editor for sometime , after that he was fired  and now komal nahata is the editor of that magazine