Retro Reel #5 : Discover the courage in you

-Deepzz- thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Retro Reel #5 : Discover the courage in you 

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." - Mahatma Gandhi

The above quote embodies all that is the essence of this weeks Retro Movie. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Previous Retro Reels
Retro Reel #3 - Raw, Violence & Realistic 
Retro Reel #4 : Home is where the heart is :) 

https://dl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/989/989321gyey13hzit.gif

The movie pick of this week  Roja (English Translation : Rose ) released in 1992 was a political dramadirected by Mani Ratnam, starring  Arvind Swamy and new face Madhoo aka Madhubala (related to actress HemaMalini). 

CastArvind Swamy ;Madhubala ;Nasser ;Janakraj; Vaishnavi & Pankaj Kapur

Credits : Producers : K. Balchandar & Pushpa Kandasamy  Writers : Sujatha & Mani Rathnam
Music : Newcomer ๐Ÿ˜› : A.R . Rahman    Cinematography : Santosh Sivan 

Plot :  Roja, a young woman born and brought up in Southern India, prays that the handsome young man coming to see her sister will be her future brother-in-law, only to have the tables turned on her when he openly choses her over her sister (as her sister loves another). So Roja marries Rishi and they leave the village to settle in the city, where both fall in love. Rishi, who works for the Indian Government, is instructed to go to the troubled state of Kashmir on a classified mission. Roja also goes along. Then her innocent world is shattered when Rishi is abducted and held for ransom by a group of jihadist militants who want an independent Kashmir and the release of a terrorist held by the Indian military forces. Will the passionate appeal of this young woman move cold and ruthless military and politician's hearts and minds?  ( Credit : IMDB)

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSbG80nln80[/YOUTUBE]

The film won three National Film Awards, including Best Film on National Integration, catapulting Ratnam to national acclaim. The film also gained international acclaim with its nomination for Best Film at the Moscow International Film Festival. The film was recently re-released for international audiences in light of the growing fear of terrorist attacks across the world. 

It is the first in Ratnam's trilogy of films that depict human relationships against a background of Indian politics, including Bombay and Dil Se.

The film's successful and acclaimed score and soundtrack were composed by A. R. Rahman, who debuted in Tamil as a music director with this film. He won theNational Film Award for Best Music Direction, Filmfare Award for Best Music Director - Tamil and the Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Music Director for his work in his debut film. This soundtrack is among the "10 Best Soundtracks" of all time listed by TIME magazine, issued in 2005. ( Credits : Wiki) 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sahi. thumbnail
Thanks Deeps akka for the retro reel 5 thread..

Roja how can we forget this movie it is a masterpiece from Mani Ratnam and also this movie introduced us a legend called A.R.Rahman.

I didn't born when roja release ๐Ÿคฃ but I guess this concept was new to tamil cinema during that time as terrorist theme was very rare to tamil cinema but Mani Ratnam only Started the terrorist theme in tamil Cinema his most of the movies covers terrorist theme also partiotic theme.

Some scene that are close to me was when they fire the flag aravind will jump to flag atha anaika parparai antha scene yaaralayum marka mudiyathu one of the all time favourite scene. Even the scenes were perfect especially Madhu searching for her husband to comeback are close to heart we can see how a wife love her husband in madhu point of view.

I am missing Madhu she is a good actess but sad thing is she is not acting anymore to tamil cinema :( also missing the great actor Aravind swamy more than 12 years :( but happy that Aravind Swamy is back to tamil cinema with ManiRatnam Kadal. Waiting for it.
paviluvsvirika thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
i've actually never seen this movie till now.wht would i do without u guyz
๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Strawbella thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Thank you Deeps di. Lovely post about Roja evergreen movieโค๏ธ Edited by Strawbella - 11 years ago
VishaD. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 7
This is an evergreen movie and of course most of us are happy that this movie happened as AR Rahman was introduced to the industry. Loved the songs and how Kashmir was beautifully captured. Both Arvind and Madhu performed well and it was a different story ๐Ÿ˜Š
.LovelyDreamer. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Thanks for the thread...nice re...

Roja...Its one of best movie of Mani Ratnam and with composition of A.R.Rahman its just fantastic...

They way Mani Sir picturized the whole film mindblowing...

-will be back with ma review-
---Priya--- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Roja one of my all time fav movie...

The movie is magical.. all good things came together and the output was such a lovely movie.
Arvindsamy and Madhubala portrayed their respective roles with perfectly. 

lastly, A.R.Rahman... he is just amazing..๐Ÿ˜ณ each song in the movie is simply superb..  Evn though i love all 5 songs, "kadhal rojave" has a small edge over others.  SPB's voice and Rahman's music created magic. 

Deeps awesome movie selection๐Ÿ˜Š
Aarthi_01 thumbnail
i have seen this movie only till where AS was kidnapped ... after that dnt see it till now
-Deepzz- thumbnail
Hey Guys thanks for the response..will come back and respond to your posts ๐Ÿค—
supercool3 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
I was just watching bits and pieces from this movie few days back ๐Ÿ˜†

What can I say, this one is a masterpiece โญ๏ธ 

When I first saw it, I didn't quite understand the story as I was too young at the time. But watching it around 1-2 years back, it made a whole lot sense to me.

Love this movie to the core ! You simply fall in love with the characters of Rishi and Roja

And of course, AR Rahman's music was so magical and perfect !