India-Forums

Indian Idol 6
Indian Idol 6

Indian idol (Page 74)

luving_gal_neha Senior Member
luving_gal_neha
luving_gal_neha

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 3:21am | IP Logged

When Abhijeet Sawant visited a music store in Kolkata recently, work at the busy Park Street came to a standstill for three hours. With over 3,000 fans queuing up, it was inevitable. At Shoppers Stop, Mumbai, the fan frenzy was comparable to a Sachin Tendulkar or Shah Rukh Khan visit.

Of course, he is the idol of millions, but Indian Idol Sawant, who has just released his debut album Aapka Abhijeet (Sony), has no particular idols himself. "I don't hero worship anyone," he declares. He does admire Kishore Kumar and Sonu Nigam, though, but then "I don't want to be them. I want to be me."

Life has changed for the 24 year old dramatically: He has moved house to stay with his uncle in central Mumbai. "If I go to my old colony (Sahu Nagar) to stay with my parents, I get mobbed and I can't catch up on my sleep," he says, smiling. Sleep is important for Sawant whose 14-hour-day includes live performances, ad campaigns, media interviews, practice and promotions. With work comes the moolah and Sawant seems to be making enough. But he isn't splurging, "I am getting free clothing from fashion houses, and if I go to a shopping mall, I will probably end up spending all," he says. Which is why he is "saving and investing" for leaner days.

So far, the going has been good. His album, a collection of romantic ballads, has been selling well. A video will be shot soon and if he has his way, he would like Amitabh Bachchan and Rani Mukerji to feature in it. The album ends with an HIV awareness number based on Lionel Ritchie's One World. Playback offers have come from Shankar Mahadevan and Anu Malik.

But he has one major dilemma yet to address. With thousands of hysterical female fans on his back, Sawant is facing a "problem of plenty." He has this advice for Indian Idol II contestants: "Smile like me!"

snowflakes Groupbie
snowflakes
snowflakes

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 3:52am | IP Logged

Rabba, Kisna, Mohabbatain, Yamma Yamma, Yaroo Dosti, Bijuriya, Marhaba, Ajaa Soniye....

Thanx a loads , I wish I couldve been there..............Cry why cant they show it on sony................?????????????

Shama Senior Member
Shama
Shama

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 4:18am | IP Logged

I know this is old, but it has a msg!!! PPl obsessing over looks shud read it!

India votes for its idol

As a nation gets ready to choose its favourite new talent, singers in Bangalore speak their mind on what lies beneath reality shows.

RASHMI VASUDEVA

"I believe the show hit upon the right format and the two finalists reveal how the Indian mind works. There are many instances in other countries of glamour and looks (like that of Prajakta and Vaidya) winning over talent. But Amit and Abhijeet reflect the collective consciousness of Indians... it seems Indians do not mind choosing ordinary lookers with great talent over glamour and beauty."
Three cheers to that and may the best man win!

gamezone Senior Member
gamezone
gamezone

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 6:57am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Shama

Wow!! Just boz Amit is a bit dark, Sawant fans are calling him a crow. U guys ask us to be mature, and then resort to name-calling. Totally uncalled for.

This forum has always been about sharing info and opinions about our favorites, no matter who they are. Sawant fans are free to support sawant, and amit fans are free to support sana.

We are all here to appreciate talent in different forms. It is better for us to stay civil, and stick to respectable opinions.

U guys mite like Abhi better, and we mite like Amit better. That shud not give u the rite to call amit a crow, looks-wise, or voice-wise.

I m sorry that i cannot be as diplomatic as gamezone, I m sincerely disappointed....Thumbs Down

Shama u r really lucky to get a chance to attend the concert of Amit & Rahul. Im a die hard fan of Amit. Wish the concert had been held in Mumbai!!!! I would have had definitely pounced upon the oppurtunity 2 watch him.

By the way I m also very very disappointed with the baseless comments on Amit Sana. I suppose the person who called Amit a crow must be looking like to Mr/Miss Universe.Otherwise he would not have made such kind of statement.Unhappy

luving_gal_neha
luving_gal_neha

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 7:40am | IP Logged
Originally posted by gamezone

Originally posted by Shama

Wow!! Just boz Amit is a bit dark, Sawant fans are calling him a crow. U guys ask us to be mature, and then resort to name-calling. Totally uncalled for.

This forum has always been about sharing info and opinions about our favorites, no matter who they are. Sawant fans are free to support sawant, and amit fans are free to support sana.

We are all here to appreciate talent in different forms. It is better for us to stay civil, and stick to respectable opinions.

U guys mite like Abhi better, and we mite like Amit better. That shud not give u the rite to call amit a crow, looks-wise, or voice-wise.

I m sorry that i cannot be as diplomatic as gamezone, I m sincerely disappointed....Thumbs Down

Shama u r really lucky to get a chance to attend the concert of Amit & Rahul. Im a die hard fan of Amit. Wish the concert had been held in Mumbai!!!! I would have had definitely pounced upon the oppurtunity 2 watch him.

By the way I m also very very disappointed with the baseless comments on Amit Sana. I suppose the person who called Amit a crow must be looking like to Mr/Miss Universe.Otherwise he would not have made such kind of statement.Unhappy

Bhai!! i never said he was a crow promise!!I dont even know who said that but am feeling guilty for whosoever said that cuz u know u hate those ppl whom u envy...Smile

luving_gal_neha
luving_gal_neha

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 8:27am | IP Logged
Originally posted by sunbeam

Excuse me, Shama, what do u mean by sm idiot sawant fan!!! I m not an idiot! I think my opinion cannot be changed whether u like it not.

I like the way abhijeet looks, and i think amit was not good-lookin enuf to win anyway!!

Okay sunbeam...Am also abhi's fan as big as u r!!! But its unfair 2 use such words

aries_sakshi IF-Rockerz
aries_sakshi
aries_sakshi

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 8:35am | IP Logged
'Sony has decided to get real'
Subhash K. Jha, Indo-Asian News Service

Mumbai (IANS) Tarun Katyal has turned around the slumping fortunes of Sony Entertainment. Since his controversial departure from Star Plus and induction into the rival channel, Sony has climbed from success to success, "Indian Idol" being the latest and by far the most major triumph.

It isn't me," laughs the mild-mannered Katyal, who is the executive vice president and business head. " 'Indian Idol' is a great idea and a great show. And do grant it to Sony for taking the plunge into a totally new genre. 'Indian Idol' is about real people, real emotions and real talent." "I'd call 'Indian Idol', a classic rags-to-riches story. It took a year of preparation. We had to first zero in on the judges. The judges had to not only look at singing talent but also what we call the 'x' factor in every contestant," Katyal told IANS in an interview. "Indian Idol" is now being called Sony's "Kaun Banega Crorepati". Katyal smiles and says: "It is big. But it's a different show. 'Indian Idol' doesn't have (Amitabh) Bachchan. But it has ordinary people living out their extraordinary dreams. Apart from the judges it's the talent that's the USP. Abhijeet Sawant, Amit Sana, Aditi Paul...these discoveries will outlast passing fancies. This is a Cinderella story with real people." But "Indian Idol", like Sony's other successful series "Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin", is adapted from a foreign source. Katyal seems sure of what Sony wants to achieve. "What do we brush our teeth with when we get up in the morning? Colgate? Isn't that a multinational company? Almost every popular brand in the country comes from outside. So why single out 'Jassi...' or 'Indian Idol'?" he asks. "Time will prove that Indian television has its own identity. Right now reality television in this country is on a learning gig. We'll get there. Experimentation on the level and format of 'Indian Idol' would be too much of a risk for any corporate house," he says. But yes, reality television is a reality on Indian television. Katyal cautions against making too much out of it. "A show like 'Indian Idol' gives the Indian middle class a chance to live its dreams. Fiction programming never allowed them to participate. Now they can be part of the home-viewing dream," he says. So was reality TV Katyal's chosen genre to counter the fiction monopoly on Star Plus? "Not really. Every channel will do what it's got to do. I don't think we can go into a genre just to be different nor can we live in constant fear of what the other channel is doing. If we do we can never make progress." Katyal says that having worked with Star Plus for five years, he knows exactly what the channel is doing. "But we are doing what we think is right for our channel." Sony still has a long way to go with the soaps. "And we're aware of that. I admit we couldn't make our new soap 'Yeh Meri Life Hai' a grand success. Old habits die hard. The nation is hooked on to 'Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' and 'Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki' on Star Plus. Personal relationships and domestic crises are USPs on the soaps." Though Sony has strengthened its position with reality TV, it has no intention of giving up on the soaps. A new soap from software tycoon Ekta Kapoor is about to be launched on the channel. "And the hero of the soap is a pop idol," laughs Katyal. He's still reluctant to talk about his controversial departure from Star Plus. "I just had to do it. I decided to go with the flow. There are stories about how I threw coffee on my colleague's face at Star before leaving. But life isn't a soap. The parting was most undramatic. The TV industry is very small. We can't afford to quarrel." Katyal informs that Sony is planning the second series of "Indian Idol". "Then we've the dance talent hunt 'Dance Dance'. Sony earlier had a very good dancing franchise in 'Boogie Woogie'." He says Sony stresses on variety. "We've done the espionage thriller 'CID' and horror was franchised in 'Aahat' successfully for years. We've to keep trying new genres to avoid monotony. But the soaps will continue to be the staple." "One of the favourite shows on our channel is the women's-issue based 'Rihaee'. It's picking up in the ratings. Like our crime series 'Crime Patrol', 'Rihaee' too will take time. But I'm sure it will succeed." Sony plans to do another reality show middle of the year. "So I guess Sony has decided to get real," Katyal says as a parting shot.

Indo-Asian News Service

aries_sakshi IF-Rockerz
aries_sakshi
aries_sakshi

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 8:43am | IP Logged

Chatting Up Idols

Indian Idol Abhijeet Sawant and tele star Aashka were in Lucknow on Wednesday. We grabbed some special moments with the duo.
PIYUSHA CHATTERJEE
PIYUSHA CHATTERJEE null hspace4Lucknow, April 7: In what seems a promotional venture at a hob-nob speed, the shooting star with the 'Sab kuch bhula de' tag made a visit to the city. And voila, he came packaged with the pretty petite Kumud (Aashka Garodia) of the reel-life Ekta Kapoor family. At twenty-four and ninteen respectively, the two are already well-equipped with the armours of the 'industry'. While word went around that Abhijeet Sawant would hit the city on Wednesday, the surprise presence was of Aashka.
< = src="http://ads.expressindia.com/banner/iestoryban.js"> < = src="http://banners.expressindia.com/adsnew/adjs.php?para=no&n=303597112&what=zone:377&target=_blank&exclude=," =text/>
Both managed their public relations well; Abhijeet, with his perky answers to a barrage of questions, and Aashka- aka Kumud, with her disarming looks and loyalty towards her character. In a tete-a tete with the two, through a haze of what seemed like a vague mixture of the reel and the real, we laboured over the routine questions of what it feels to taste success at an early age and the gung-ho about being a star. Our Indian 'idol', clad in a comfy pair of jeans was all about 'the responsibility of maintaining the image, the stature and performance' post his shooting rise to stardom. "Now when I sit back and think, at times I get worried about what the future holds. Everything happened all of a sudden and the most pressing need is to have a lasting impression. This is what I always aimed for as I sang through all these episodes- that my songs should linger in the minds of the viewers even after they switch off the television sets," says Abhijeet. That apart, he is all geared up to put his best foot forward in the industry. "I'll have a gym of my own soon. But right now I work out at home as I realise that looks and a healthy body are just as important as my voice," he adds on a reflective note. Three years in the industry and Aashka Garodia, better known as Kumud even amongst the paraphernelia of Sony Television that accompanied the two as with the mediapersons, has an altogether different attitude. "I eat what I get and I love to have Gujju food, complete with dal, chawal and sabzi. But then, I go without food for a few days when I put on weight," quips Aashka. Mimicking, in a candid manner, she adds, "I am not one of those who'll say...a glass of juice in the morning, then an hour's workout in the gym and salad for meals." And true to her words, in a few minutes time she is found munching on some fried snacks with a glass of juice. "I am hungry and don't mind eating anything right now," says she. Enquire about her experience of working with Ekta Kapoor and she has her answers straight, "I think if somebody is putting in so much money you won't expect her to ruin everything over some actor's whims. I have had misunderstandings with her as well but then we sorted them out amicably." Not surprising that both these young sensations have got their basics right to be part of the tinsel town. "It feels great to be a brand on my own but then it also means a lot of hardwork. Being packaged with popular faces help in marketing," says Abhijeet. Aashka too feels that cross-overs create interest in the audience and they start following the serials with renewed curiousity. Sonia Huria, who handles public relations for Sony television, says, "Indian idol happens once in a year whereas Kumud and Jassi are household names today. There's a craze for these faces and who would blame us for wanting to cash in on them."

And that explains what the soaps dish out, atleast for Aashka. "This is what they want and all the hype about women being portrayed wrongly is false. Rather they show the reality," she shoots back when questioned on the authenticity of the female characters in the serials on television today.

Go to top