Indian Idol 6
Indian Idol 6

Indian idol (Page 42)

pmahesh Goldie
pmahesh
pmahesh

Posted: 06 March 2005 at 11:36pm | IP Logged

Abhijeet Sawant: India's Idol

Abhijeet Sawant romps home with Amit Sana being the No 2, reports Vickey Lalwani.

The look of tension was noticeable on his face, even through his most pleasing thirty-twos, as anchors Aman Verma and Mini Mathur were poised to make the announcement. And they kept the tension going, taking their time before announcing the winner. A million thoughts prayers must have sprinted through his mind. But the exultation that followed when the duo announced his name as the winner was also worth a looksee. Sonu Nigam hugged him, as did Farah Khan, and Anu Malik.

Abhijeet Sawant, the Mumbai lad from a traditional Maharashtrian family had made it as the Indian Idol, following in the footsteps of several other Idols in many countries the world over. Kelly Clarkson, Ruben Staddard, Fantasia in America. Michelle McManus, William Young in the UK. Jamai from the Netherlands. Guy Sebastian and Casey Donovan from Australia. Norway's Kurt Nilsen who won the world Idol title.

While Sawant was cock-a-hoop with joy, his rival, the 21-year old Amit Sana burst into tears. Nevertheless he along with the other contestants lifted Sawant aloft on their shoulders. Only to find himself being lifted by the Indian Idol finalists team . Sana's mother could not hide her disappointment; the lady too started weeping.

Sawant, who lives in a building allotted to employees of the Mumbai Municipal Corporation (his father Shridhar Pandurang Sawant works in the municpal corporation), rushed in to touch the feet of the judges and take their blessings Who would have thought that the guy who faced flak from the judges in the intial rounds would take home the crown? That's Sony's Indian Idol for you!

Unpredictability and high-drama at its best. Another classic case in point was when Rahul Vaidya who everyone believed
would be the ultimate winner had to take a bow last week.There was a negative buzz about Vaidya just when it actually
mattered. The guy had become over-confident and proud. Surprisingly, a bit of this attitude problem reflected in the final too.

After the final results were announced, the crowd started screaming for Rahul. Without bating an eyelid, Vaidya ran up to the stage and was ready to sing a few lines, waiting in anticipation for the public to demand what they wanted to hear. Instantly, the crowd informed him that they wanted Rahul Saxena and not Rahul Vaidya! The sheepish smile and the embarrassment on Vaidya's face was to be seen to be believed!

The high drama is expected to return in its second leg in August.The buzz is that Karan Johar may be one of the judges, replacing Farah Khan, who might be busy with her film then. The diplomatic Sonu Nigam and the frank-and-fearless Anu Malik are likely to retain their places.

Whatever one may say of Anu's caustic comments, the fact is that he helped yank the TRP ratings for the show - northwards. Initially people were neither talking about the format nor about the singing talents on display. The entire buzz that got the show going was the remarks that Anu Malik made during the show --- 'Anu Malik said this, Anu Malik said that, Boy how could he be so rude'. Agree Sony?

At least six contestants have become household names- Sawant, Sana, Rahul Vaidya, Prajakta Shukre, Amit Tandon and Rahul Saxena.

And aren't they smiling, err, laughing their way to the bank!

While the third finalist Rahul Vaidya has bagged a Rs 20 lakh contract with Sony Entertainment Television, Amit Tandon, another finalist, is being cast in Ekta Kaoor's in Kaisa Yeh Pyaar Hai, which is soon to be aired. Rahul Saxena will make his debut as a playback singer in Farah Khan's forthcoming film. And wait till you hear this! Prajakta Shukre may sing in Karan Johar's next film. It won't be long before Sana too jumps on to the bandwagon.

The questions that arise are: Did Sana lose against Sawant because he was not a good package? Did a section of the people not vote for him because he was simple, gawky and klutzy? Was the media highly biased against him? In fact, inside sources reveal that he had been written off by everyone including some of his fellow contestants, one of whom even said, "Iss ladke mein dum nahin hai."

Sources say that Farah Khan had cribbed to the other two judges, Sonu Nigam and Anu Malik that the lad had no charisma, no face and no power to pull the audience. In short, was Sana swimming against the tide? Will we ever know?

Perhaps not.

pmahesh Goldie
pmahesh
pmahesh

Posted: 06 March 2005 at 11:38pm | IP Logged
everyone wanted me to win: Abhijeet

Abhijeet Sawant at Famous Studio, Mahalaxmi, posing for cameras after being declared Indian Idol
Pic: Vijayanand Gupta
Along with the ecstasy of being the country's first Indian Idol, there is also agony for Abhijeet Sawant.

Four days ago, he was diagnosed as having a stone in his kidney.

As he keeps his pain in check by popping pills, his family, friends and fans are checking out the celebration scene. In the midst of the never-ending merriment, Sawant speaks to Sunday Mid Day .

How does this sound — Abhijeet Sawant, the first Indian Idol?
The first part I am used to, the second part has yet to sink in. It's like I am dreaming; it will take me some days to get used to it. God and the audience have been kind to me. But there is this strange thrill within me.

Can you describe this thrill?
People are cheering, bursting firecrackers. Everyone around is celebrating. It's as if everyone really wanted this — they wanted me to win. It is as if an India-Pakistan match was on and India has won. It's a similar kind of feeling.

Did you have that gut feeling that you were the chosen one?
No, never at any moment. I thought that both Amit and I had a 50-50 chance.

What's that one thing that kept you going right through the contest?
My friends. They kept on pushing me; I am grateful to them. I never aimed for anything. I just went out there and enjoyed my singing.

What were the words of consolation for Amit Sana?
I told him that he is equally good, but sadly there can be only one Idol. He told me to take care of my health and to keep on drinking lots of water for my kidney problem.

What have your family and friends planned?
They are even more excited than me. My colony friends — we call ourselves the MCC group — won't let me rest in peace. I go home on Sunday. There is also that car I have won. That long drive remains.

And that one crore contract with Sony?
All that has to be sat down and worked out. I guess the party has just begun. What else can I say at this moment?

Edited by pmahesh - 06 March 2005 at 11:44pm
pmahesh Goldie
pmahesh
pmahesh

Posted: 07 March 2005 at 12:05am | IP Logged
I missed the first 15minutes of the final show. Can somebody tell me what song did rahul saxena sing and if there is a repeat telecast for this?
pmahesh Goldie
pmahesh
pmahesh

Posted: 07 March 2005 at 12:19am | IP Logged
WHISPERS:

Priyanka Venkatraghavan, one of the 11 contenders who walked out of the show because it clashed with her board exams? Well, the girl who charmed everyone from Anu Malik to Sonu Nigam is on her road to stardom. The pretty girl's been signed by none other Mani Rathnam for a Tamil film. Though she made a mark with her singing, it's for her acting abilities that he's cast her. Who knows, we may get to hear a song or two also.

Mukesh Pancholi who hailed from a village faced a unique problem. His people from hometown didn't have a mobile. They got together, raised funds and managed to buy one alongwith a sim card. Once that was put in place, they found that the signal wasn't reaching their mobile. With great difficulty they spotted a place on the highway which caught the signal. Once the phone lines were open they sent about hundreds of messages. That done, they called Mukesh and gleefully asked him, "Humne kitney sms bhejen, mile aapko?" Mukesh had received them alright but unfortunately on his personal cell ...

Rahul Saxena who broke down after he was voted out has been offered to sing in Farha Khan's forthcoming film Happy New Year.

Rahul Vaidya has signed a 20-lakh contract with Sony Music.

Aditi Paul and Harish Moyal, who hail from Kolkata, are planning to shift base. They want to try their luck and make a career out of singing in amchi Mumbai.

Prajakta Shukre who was considered to be a perfect candidate for Indian Idol is flooded with offers. And guess what, with so many offers, madam's going to pick and choose. Interestingly, she's made an AV of all her performances on the show. Last heard, Lalit (of Jatin-Lalit fame) and Ehsaan Loy were keen on signing her.

Amit Sana was the first contender to register from Kolkata. He was also the first person to turn up for the audition. He, however, had left his documents at home, so he had to rush back and get them in time for the competition.

Mani Rathnam, Kamal Hassan and R Madhavan watch the show passionately. Madhavan religiously calls up every week to know who's out and who's in. Incidentally, Vipul had written Madhavan's Tamil film Minnale and the Hindi version Rehna Hai Tere Dil Mein.

greatmaratha IF-Sizzlerz
greatmaratha
greatmaratha

Posted: 07 March 2005 at 12:41am | IP Logged
thanks for sharing priti.....  nice to read such lovely things about them...  true only one can be the indian idol, but considering that almost all 10 of them were good, nice to know that each one of them considered this to be their stepping stone to a new life in stardom...  they all deserve to go places....  even ravinder ravi, considering that his present vocation is that of a painter...
gamezone Senior Member
gamezone
gamezone

Posted: 08 March 2005 at 9:45am | IP Logged

Originally posted by bobbypab

can any body tell where the song "Bhul na paya hum" i can get ? sing by amit and avhijeet in final round. please send me it in my e-mail address both two song, please send it in mp3 format. email: bobbypab@yahoo.com

hello,

the songs of both contestants are available on www.coolgoose.com .

just search by title "indian idol" and u will see all the matches. u will be able to see these songs too.

bye

gamezone Senior Member
gamezone
gamezone

Posted: 08 March 2005 at 9:47am | IP Logged

Originally posted by bobbypab

can any body tell where the song "Bhul na paya hum" i can get ? sing by amit and avhijeet in final round. please send me it in my e-mail address both two song, please send it in mp3 format. email: bobbypab@yahoo.com

hello,

the songs of both contestants are available on www.coolgoose.com .

just search by title "indian idol" and u will see all the matches. u will be able to see these songs too.

bye

poison ivy Goldie
poison ivy
poison ivy

Posted: 09 March 2005 at 5:32am | IP Logged
Mumbai, March 5 : 06.00pm, IST : After seven gruelling months and competing against hundreds of contestants, the Mumbai lad was crowned Indian Idol, at around 3 pm at the Famous Studio, Mahalaxmi, south Mumbai. The programme will be telecast later this evening.

The result brings to an end one of the most awaited outcomes of a talent hunt in Indian television history.

Sony Entertainment Television had bagged the exclusive rights from the makers of the US serial American Idol and turned it into one of the biggest television events in India.

"It is party time for us," said one of Abhijeet's friends. "I always knew he would make it. He had the spark in him and good that he made it today."

Spare a thought for the runner-up, Amit Sana. In the end, there was very little to choose between the two talented young men. They will dominate our lives in the years to come.

Abhijeet Sawant, who was consistently good but failed to generate much hype, surprised audiences in the last few rounds of the show with his high-energy performances, good choice in songs and melodious voice. During the Republic Day special - which turned out to be the turning point for Sawant - guest judge Karan Johar sheepishly admitted that before that day he had not taken Sawant seriously and would often take a snack break during his performance.

Sawant has bagged a 1 Crore contract with Sony Television and a chance to cut a platinum album with Sony. He also wins a luxury car sponsored by Ambipure.

Go to top