Devon ke Dev Mahadev

Sage Upamanyu

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 21 November 2012 at 9:23pm | IP Logged
Sage Upamanyu occupies a highly exalted place amongst the Shiva- Bhaktas. His story is related in the Uma Samhita of Shiva Purana. 

Unfortunately, serials (ONS and DkDM) have focussed only on his milk-on-demand story and ignored his other achievements.

He was one of the few to be blessed with Saameepya mukti,  that is, being allowed to live in the Lord's presence. He is said to have resided in a mountain peak just below Kailash and spent his time discoursing to the rishis who would visit him not just about Shiva bhakti but also about Shiva Bhaktas.

He is most well known for his Adhanareeshwara Ashtakam (his tribute to his adopted parents Shiva- Parvati) and his Shiva Sahasranamam.

When Bhishma lay dying on the battlefiels, Yudhishthira asked him to recite  the Shiva Sahasranama (1000 names of Lord Shiva). Bhishma, who is too tired, is unable to do so and requests Krishna to comply with Yudhishthira's wish.

Lord Krishna answers that, on his request, Sage Upamanyu had taught him the Shiva Sahasranama and he will repeat the same. 

The Ardhanareeshwara Ashtakam is yet another of Upamanyu's wonderful creations. I will post just  one  verse from it and its meaning. The beauty of this sloka is that the first line refers to Parvati, and the second to Shiva and the third line combines the two.

Pradeeptha rathnojwalakundalayai,
Sphuran maha pannaga bhooshanayai,
Shiva priyayai cha Shivaa priyaya,
Nama Shivayai cha namashivaya. 

She who wears glittering ornaments in her ears
He who wears snakes as his ornaments
She who is the beloved of Shiva and He who is the beloved of Parvati 
Salutations to Shivaa and Shiva

Edited by varaali - 21 November 2012 at 9:40pm

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

suhani77mnx12SandytatsmeGopikaaSurya_krsnbhakt-Nymphadora-.Reshama.Nikki_Titli

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Sage Upamanyu" in Devon ke Dev Mahadev forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 21 November 2012 at 9:46pm | IP Logged
The Uma samhita also related another interesting incident from Upamanyu's life. Once Sri Krishna was wanted to worship Lord Shiva and was hunting for a suitable guru to initiate him in the Panchakshari Mantra. He approached Sage Upamanyu and sought his help.

The rest of the story is as follows :

He found Maharishi Upamanyu engrossed in his meditation. He told Upamanyu about his desire and requested him to describe about the greatness of lord Shiva.

Upamanu described about his own experience when he had divine glimpses of lord Shiva who was meditating

''Once I saw Shiva who was surrounded by all the deities. Lord Shiva was engrossed in his deep meditation. Shiva had in his possession all the divine weapons like - Trident, Axe, Noose, Sudarshan etc. Lord Vishnu and Brahmaji were also present there. I eulogized lord Shiva who became pleased with me. Lord Shiva wanted to bless me with a boon. I requested lord Shiva to bless me with three things - 

1) I should always remain his devotee 
2) to be able to know about the past, present and future events
3) My family should never feel the scarcity of rice and milk.''

''Lord Shiva not only blessed me with all these three things, but also to be able to see the Vaivasvat kalpa.''

Sri Krishna then proceeded to do his penance after getting initiated by Upamanyu with the mantra - Om Namah Shivay. He did a tremendous penance for fifteen months by standing on his toe. In the sixteenth month lord Shiva and Parvati appeared before him after being pleased by his penance. Lord Shiva expressed his desire to bless Krishna. Krishna requested eight boons.

1) May his intelligence always remain inclined towards religiousness, 
2) May he attain immortal fame, 
3) May he has his abode in Shiva's proximity, 
4) May his faith and devotion in Shiva be unswerving, 
5) May he have ten valiant sons, 
6) May he be victorious against his enemies, 
7) May all his enemies be destroyed and 
8) May be dear to all the yogis. 

After receiving eight boons from Lord Shiva, Krishna requested one more boon from goddess Parvati May he always be in the service of his parents and the brahmins. Sri Krishna then went back to Upamanyu and narrated the whole story. At last he returned to Dwarka.

Edited by varaali - 21 November 2012 at 9:50pm

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

suhani77mnx12SandytatsmeSurya_krsnbhakt-Nymphadora-.Reshama.Nikki_Titli

mnx12

Viewbie

mnx12

Posted: 21 November 2012 at 11:04pm | IP Logged
Thanks for this wonderful story varaaliSmile
I love this aspect of DKDM, of combining various stories connected with Shivji, though not very perfect but it does make it interesting. it's good to recollect all of them, read earlier. This part about Krishna was unknown to me. What about the story of Krishna doing penance of Shivji to get a son, since then Shivji is known as "Saamb Sadashiv".
Lord Krishna has said those who worship me only & not Lord Shiva can never get mukti.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Nikki_Titli

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 21 November 2012 at 11:23pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by mnx12

Thanks for this wonderful story varaaliSmile
I love this aspect of DKDM, of combining various stories connected with Shivji, though not very perfect but it does make it interesting. it's good to recollect all of them, read earlier. This part about Krishna was unknown to me. What about the story of Krishna doing penance of Shivji to get a son, since then Shivji is known as "Saamb Sadashiv".
Lord Krishna has said those who worship me only & not Lord Shiva can never get mukti.

Yes, it is said that by virtue of his penance, Krishna's son Samba is born. 

Shivji was already known as Samba Sadashiva. This name of Shiva occurs in the Dyana Sloka of Shiva Sahasranama composed by  Sage Upamanyu. 

Asya shiva sahasranama stotra maha mantrasya Upamanyu rishi, Anushtup Chanda,. Sri Sambha sadashivo devatha.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

mnx12Sandytatsme

mnx12

Viewbie

mnx12

Posted: 22 November 2012 at 12:13am | IP Logged
May be when he'll be shown as grown up, they'll show him creating Ardhnarishwar stotra. Right now he has to start his education.

varaali

.Reshama.

IF-Sizzlerz

.Reshama.

Posted: 22 November 2012 at 12:15am | IP Logged
thanks for sharing dear..=]

varaali

-Nymphadora-

IF-Veteran Member

-Nymphadora-

Posted: 22 November 2012 at 12:26am | IP Logged
@varaali-DKDM may show this story...DKDM has a record of showing some stroies that havent been told before...
if at any point of time DKDM does proceed to Krishnas time-then maybe..
you never know
but thank you for the story
i didnt know of the connection between Krishna and MahadevSmile

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

varaaliNikki_Titli

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.