Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Love_Arnie thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Aunty, thank you so much. I will keep cool during my exams as you adviced.
And, for the color too. I am glad that you agreed with me on Rathore's point.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Regards,
Sanchayita.

Originally posted by: sashashyam

My dear Sanchayita.

First of all, I am glad that you are not neglecting your studies for Arjun or anything else. I am sure your exams will go off very well, I shall keep my fingers crossed for that!

I was really impressed by your perceptive take on Rathod in this episode; you have hit on all the key points that make him stand out despite Arjun being author-backed, so to speak. I completely agree with both the instances you have cited, and I have quoted you in my response above to Stephy as well. When you observe that "Rathore neither denied his moral duty nor overlooked his duty", it is the perfect formulation to describe his actions.

I have noted in the past that he is an admirable team chief - strict and yet kind when necessary, courageous to the point of foolhardiness personally, but careful of his team members, and responsible and supportive to a fault. A team leader does not need to be the brightest in the team, or the most technically qualified. But he must have three qualities: he must be able to choose the right person for each task, he must be able to mould the individual team members into a cohesive whole, and finally, he must stand by them and protect them from superior officers when needed. Rathod has all these qualities, and that is all that counts.

Yes, yellow would be a good colour for Rathod, a rich golden yellow. It also stands for sacrifice, which I am sure he would cheerfully make in the line of duty.

<font face="Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Take
care, my dear, and keep cool during your exams. Don't worry about Episode
26: Old Sins cast Long Shadows. You can catch up with it when you are free. It
is depressing, but still worth a watch.
</font>

Shyamala Aunty

sashashyam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
My dear Tina,

I am really touched that you took time off from so many other pressing concerns, including your elder brother's wedding next week, to send me such a detailed response. You are a sweetheart!

I see that you and I are  of the same mind on our quartet of the main players, colours and all. As I have written to Arya above, who had made this very point so neatly, Seema is MUCH better off with Deepak, who is such a wonderful human being even if he will never be professionally successful, than with Avinash Kapoor, who is a creep. So things really turned out for the best for her after so much trauma. And Ketan has got a MUCH better father than his real one!

I was intrigued by what you say about the possibility of Praveen's suicide having been prevented. In fact, if you watch the opening scene again, there were any number of opportunities for someone to knock him out with a vase or something, from his rear side; he is not a professional criminal and he is NOT guarding this side. Arjun is not to blame, for he would never have expected a suicide. Secondly, the gun would have had the safety catch on, and Praveen would hardly have known how to release it and fire in the air! It was all quite nonsensical, and I did not flag these points  as the post was already too long!๐Ÿ˜‰

I also agree with your about the alcoholic donor. One cannot expect a down and out chap like him, or indeed anyone at all, to donate a body part, even a renewable one, for nothing. One does that sort of thing only if one is saintly, or it is for a loved one. However, he looks like a most unsuitable donor, and if he had been used, they would have had to watch out for any alcoholic  tendencies developing in Ketan later!๐Ÿ˜‰ (That is nonsense, of course, but I do have doubts about the general condition of his bone marrow).

Take care, and have a wonderful time at the wedding.Too bad you are from the boy's side and cannot collect ransom money for the bridegroom's  joote!

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by: haruhi26

Finally, got some time to come and post my comments.
Lovely analysis aunty, as usual. You described each character so beautifully n assigning a colour to each was so symbolic. Now for the characters:
Seema: well like you said she's a brave lady, she was one of the best students, yet she abandoned everything for a kid, that also due to an affair with her professor who was already married. In this age, I'm quite surprised yet proud of her, because a lot of girl would have put their life and career first n aborted that child! But she didn't, despite it hurt her father a lot, she even got married to someone like dheeraj, when I'm sure had she had the choice in the past, dheeraj would never have been her choice! Yet dheeraj turns out to be the best husband n partner she could have ever got!
She didn't run away from her mistakes, n she didn't even wanted to break that professor's marriage! Who does this nowadays?! She's a good person, just made some mistakes in her youth.
Dheeraj:
I loved his character the most. A simple guy, who never succeeded in anything, yet he loved with honesty n did everything he could to save his kid, ketan! He was the best if all, he went to all extents, even kidnapping, for ketan.
Avinash:
He's a real jerk n loser! Where was his reputation n conscience when he had an affair with seema, seema was young, but he was old n mature enough! He helped in destroying seema's life n career partly, yet after all these years the only thing that seema needed was for him to save his own child, which he refused out of fear for his reputation! He's a disgusting person, selfish n fake! N totally not worth his title as a professor!
His wife is a good lady, she put the cheating of her husband aside, n preferred to save the innocent kid! She was mature n intelligent enough to realize that the poor kid was completely innocent in all this.
N finally for the case:
I like many think that maybe the nana shouldn't have died, if Arjun hadn't forced his entry in such a way! N also I fount it strange how Arjun knew that they were going to operate on Avinash! N yep he's entering the operation center like this could have endangered ketan's life more! But what I appreciated was that Arjun didn't falter in his duty, he made no compromise on this issue, though I know he must have felt a burden letting that kid die, because no one knew that Avinash would finally agree to be th donor! N shree was so emotional, he wanted badly to save the kid! As rather also was explaining to Avinash to please save ketan.
Finally about the drunk donor, well he was asking all that money to save a kid's life, and many have criticized him for it, but in today's life how many people do things freely! I'm not takin his part, just pointing out that life is very harsh, and people are selfish, money minded n materialistic now! Humanity has almost disappeared nowadays! Very little, for him he needed money for drinking, so he was selling part of him for that! N I also wonder at the state of the bone marrow he was gonna to give considering he is a drunkard!

kunchu thumbnail

hi

i am a regular reader of your review. its really interesting to read it. its different becoz you never appreciate something wrong just becoz its shown by our hero.. its truly a precise and apt thinking, which I really appreciate. they way you put forward your ideas is very good.
hoping to read more.
 the main thing i like about serial Arjun, is that it is not showing him as a godly figure who may get shot in one episode where he is declared dead and then coming back at the end of the episode or in the next saying it was a great 'stupid' plan. it is shown usually in other series and i used to enjoy it. but not any more, actually after death of Riya. 
the show showcase the vulnerability of human life.. even the ETF chief needed to be rescued at times.. even the heroine Riya could die.. even the supercop could be backstabbed.. the funny shree can become serious.. mighty chotu can have a terrible past...
sorry its a long letter.. hope you dont mind.
-Carrie- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Lovely analysis.๐Ÿ‘ It couldn't have been presented better.Loved the colour assignation to each character. Makes me wonder what colour Knight Arjun might be.๐Ÿ˜‰

I watched this serial only so that my eyes drink in the sight of Arjun.The rest like the cast, story etc are just incidental to me as my eyes are riveted only on him.But for the first time Seema Singh & Geeta Kapoor hogged all my attention.I am in no position to further the detailed thought provoking character analysis done by you so no further comment .Beautifully written & directed episode.โญ๏ธ

As for the plotholes here's my take:

Geeta's arrival at the hospital: It was common knowledge by then that the Principal of GS College was missing.Surely the local police force would have been alerted & a citywide manhunt would have been underway.So once he was traced to the hospital she would have been informed pronto by the police.

Bank's negotiating on a lesser amount w/o POI: The argument escalated at the start itself on the amount I think before the Bank officers could begin the paper work on such a huge withdrawal.It all got over before it could reach the point where any ID could be demanded.

Avinash's "Mota" Bank Balance: The man seems to be a skinflint so much so he never used a Debit/Credit card.๐Ÿคข Must have had that much in the account since he didnt say anything to Dheeraj when his face was being reaaranged.๐Ÿ˜†

Praveen's insistence on 30 lacs: By his own daughter's account the old man had lost his marbles when she got knocked up.Plus it might have been his perception that was his only chance to save his beloved grandson. It was a do or die situation for him.All might still have been well if only he had taken the cash & split๐Ÿ˜ญ

Transgression of Medical Ethics: Well what can I say? Yeh hain India meri jaan! Many medics would barely flinch while indulging in the most dastardly acts. This doc still belived what he was doing was noble.

Arjun's Dramatic entry: Raute Sir pehle karte hain phir sochtey hain๐Ÿ˜ณ Stopping the unethical Marrow transplant was foremost on his mind that he simply stormed into the OT in a true ACP ARJUN style๐Ÿ˜†

Hope it wasnt too long.Look forward to many more from you.๐Ÿ˜Š

DS

Edited by DuttaSweetheart - 11 years ago
sashashyam thumbnail
My dear Kunchu,

Of course not! Not mind, that is.

On the contrary I am very pleased and flattered that you took the time out not only to read my post (they are always very long, I am afraid, for once I start writing, I think of more and more things to say that I simply cannot leave out!) but also to send me such a perceptive set of comments on it and on Arjun  in general. I appreciate the comments a great deal, because they take effort and focus, and it is so much easier to write "very nice post", or "Wow!" or "when are you updating next?"!

You ha
ve hit on the essence of what I like about Arjun, when you say that it "showcases the vulnerability of human life". Not many could have zeroed in on that one vital point, and then summarised it so crisply as well.

You would be interested in something I wrote recently to one of the young friends that I have made in this forum, Sanchayita, about a point that is closely linked to the one you have made here. I had then said:.

After watching a dozen of them (episodes), what struck me was the dark side of life and relationships that the series often brings out, going beyond the usual greed or jealousy.

The exchange murders  episode (No.9), about a rich businessman and a waiter who commit each other's murders,  was relatively straightforward and clearly based on the Hitchcock classic film
Strangers on a Train.

But there was also a dishonourable love that clashes with the normal protectiveness of maternal love, as in the dead stockbroker story, where the mother's apparent readiness to let her own daughter be accused of the murder she had committed was so shocking. It was a similar clash in the case of the mute witness, the boy who idolizes Eagleman, only there it is the opposite, for the mother is ready  to assume the guilt for what her son has done, for she holds herself morally  responsible for it. In both cases, the immoral behaviour of the mother ruins a whole family.

The shocking kinnara human sacrifice story is also rooted in a terrible alienation from society, and in the murder by peanuts (No.3), it is revenge for the unbearable loss of a beloved sister. No wonder Arjun, whose own life has been twisted beyond repair by a brutal criminal, empathises with the younger sister, even if she has murdered two persons in cold blood.

It is in this plumbing of the dark corners of the human psyche that
Arjun,  for me, stands out. It is not just a gung ho, cops and robbers serial, with macho cops strutting around punching people. I hope it stays that way.

I am sure you will agree with me on the above. In fact, if you have the time and the inclination, you might like to see my other comment on that thread as well, it was called
Hats off To every1 associated today . I am sorry that I do not have the coordinates, but it was on November 5.

Thanks again and take care.

Shyamala B.Cowsik

Originally posted by: kunchu

hi

i am a regular reader of your review. its really interesting to read it. its different becoz you never appreciate something wrong just becoz its shown by our hero.. its truly a precise and apt thinking, which I really appreciate. they way you put forward your ideas is very good.
hoping to read more.
 the main thing i like about serial Arjun, is that it is not showing him as a godly figure who may get shot in one episode where he is declared dead and then coming back at the end of the episode or in the next saying it was a great 'stupid' plan. it is shown usually in other series and i used to enjoy it. but not any more, actually after death of Riya. 
the show showcase the vulnerability of human life.. even the ETF chief needed to be rescued at times.. even the heroine Riya could die.. even the supercop could be backstabbed.. the funny shree can become serious.. mighty chotu can have a terrible past...
sorry its a long letter.. hope you dont mind.

Mimi2609 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
well actually you are right, there's no logic to Praveen's death and suicide except to stretch the case a bit, because if he had been caught alive, there would have been no case...
but still his suicide was out of despair, when he saw that he has lost when Arjun came in front of him. I'm not blaming Arjun, since he also didnt know that Praveen would commit suicide, but i felt sad that he had to die in such a way...
First seeing his brilliant daughter pregnant and unmarried, then his grandson's illness, the real father refusing to help, and finally when they got a donor, they dont have any money๐Ÿ˜ญ and have to kidnap and do a hold-up at a bank...
This episode sure shows us how far one can go out of love and to save someone from death
Life sure is harsh at times...

My dear Tina,

I am really touched that you took time off from so many other pressing concerns, including your elder brother's wedding next week, to send me such a detailed response. You are a sweetheart!

I see that you and I are  of the same mind on our quartet of the main players, colours and all. As I have written to Arya above, who had made this very point so neatly, Seema is MUCH better off with Deepak, who is such a wonderful human being even if he will never be professionally successful, than with Avinash Kapoor, who is a creep. So things really turned out for the best for her after so much trauma. And Ketan has got a MUCH better father than his real one!

I was intrigued by what you say about the possibility of Praveen's suicide having been prevented. In fact, if you watch the opening scene again, there were any number of opportunities for someone to knock him out with a vase or something, from his rear side; he is not a professional criminal and he is NOT guarding this side. Arjun is not to blame, for he would never have expected a suicide. Secondly, the gun would have had the safety catch on, and Praveen would hardly have known how to release it and fire in the air! It was all quite nonsensical, and I did not flag these points  as the post was already too long!๐Ÿ˜‰

I also agree with your about the alcoholic donor. One cannot expect a down and out chap like him, or indeed anyone at all, to donate a body part, even a renewable one, for nothing. One does that sort of thing only if one is saintly, or it is for a loved one. However, he looks like a most unsuitable donor, and if he had been used, they would have had to watch out for any alcoholic  tendencies developing in Ketan later!๐Ÿ˜‰ (That is nonsense, of course, but I do have doubts about the general condition of his bone marrow).

Take care, and have a wonderful time at the wedding.Too bad you are from the boy's side and cannot collect ransom money for the bridegroom's  joote!

Shyamala Aunty

kunchu thumbnail
hi again!!
thanks for going through my letter.
and yes I have read the material you have posted earlier.. sorry for not posting a reply at that time.. I was new back then and was a silent reader.. but I am now more involved over here.
its good to know that a tv show have given us a chance to speak out our mind about some issues which we usual laugh at on daily basis. we may joke on a elder woman who falls for her own daughter's love.. or may discuss for hours on people having extramarital affairs.. but never think about the real circumstances when it might have happened. 

thinking beyond a boundary line might not be that difficult.. but accepting the hard facts.. or even considering them  is tough...
its true about what you said that once we started thinking its tough to stop our writing. i really get it what you mean by that...
thanks for your comments.. and catching onto one specific line in my letter. it really made my day...I never thought it would happen.. thanks again.. and I mean it by whole heart..
regards
Kunchu๐Ÿ˜ณ   
sashashyam thumbnail
My dear girl,

Too long? Not on your life! In fact I was delighted, and here are my responses to your points, ad seriatim.  in blue.

Originally posted by: DuttaSweetheart

Lovely analysis.๐Ÿ‘ It couldn't have been presented better.Loved the colour assignation to each character. Makes me wonder what colour Knight Arjun might be.๐Ÿ˜‰

Hmmm. Arjun would be all black, for determination, tenacity, and a no nonsense attitude. No soft or vivid colour would do for him, and we  need not reject it because Darth Vader was all black as well!๐Ÿ˜‰

I watched this serial only so that my eyes drink in the sight of Arjun.The rest like the cast, story etc are just incidental to me as my eyes are riveted only on him.But for the first time Seema Singh & Geeta Kapoor hogged all my attention.I am in no position to further the detailed thought provoking character analysis done by you so no further comment .Beautifully written & directed episode.โญ๏ธ

Now that is something to make the CVs sit up  and cheer, for it IS a triumph to have coaxed an Arjun groupie to take interest in other characters!

As for the plotholes here's my take:

Geeta's arrival at the hospital: It was common knowledge by then that the Principal of GS College was missing.Surely the local police force would have been alerted & a citywide manhunt would have been under way.So once he was traced to the hospital she would have been informed pronto by the police.

Nice try, but Avinash was in the boot of the car, and how would the police  have known where he was being taken unless they had stopped the car and searched it? If they had had a successful dragnet out for Dheeraj's car, they would  have found Avinash in its boot and rescued him, not let him be carried off to the hospital. So I am afraid I am sticking with this plot hole.

Bank's negotiating on a lesser amount w/o POI: The argument escalated at the start itself on the amount I think before the Bank officers could begin the paper work on such a huge withdrawal.It all got over before it could reach the point where any ID could be demanded.

I agree with you on this.

My new plot holes here are: How did Praveen know how to release the safety catch on the SG's rifle and shoot in the air? Secondly, any number of people could have laid him out cold from behind with a vase or the like, when he was just getting started with the rifle. Not being a professional, he was not guarding his rear. But of course they had to wait for your boy wonder!๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰

Avinash's "Mota" Bank Balance: The man seems to be a skinflint so much so he never used a Debit/Credit card.๐Ÿคข Must have had that much in the account since he didnt say anything to Dheeraj when his face was being reaaranged.๐Ÿ˜†

Oh dear, what a priceless phrase 'when his face was being reaaranged'! Sounds like something out of PG Wodehouse!

To revert, Avinash seems to be anti-debt, not necessarily  a skinflint. And if he was one, would he not be that much more careful not to let so much money lie around at very low interest? Think about it, and I feel you will agree with me.

Praveen's insistence on 30 lacs: By his own daughter's account the old man had lost his marbles when she got knocked up.Plus it might have been his perception that was his only chance to save his beloved grandson. It was a do or die situation for him.All might still have been well if only he had taken the cash & split๐Ÿ˜ญ

I agree. Then of course there would have been no story at all, and you and I would have missed all this fun taking it apart, wouldn't we?

Transgression of Medical Ethics: Well what can I say? Yeh hain India meri jaan! Many medics would barely flinch while indulging in the most dastardly acts. This doc still belived what he was doing was noble.

No, no, my dear, I will not let you malign our beloved country in this fashion!๐Ÿ˜‰ There are a lot of crooked doctors everywhere, and since I was a diplomat for 38 years till I retired recently, I know a good bit about it at first hand. To revert. no one but a quack would do any such illegal thing, least of all the head of a major medical institute, no matter how sorry he might feel for the dying child. You also have to remember that doctors see a lot of death daily, and while they try their best till the very end, they are far more stoic about it than laymen about their loved ones. NO doctor will risk his institution out of sympathy for a child, and then make speeches about it!

Arjun's Dramatic entry: Raute Sir pehle karte hain phir sochtey hain๐Ÿ˜ณ Stopping the unethical Marrow transplant was foremost on his mind that he simply stormed into the OT in a true ACP ARJUN style๐Ÿ˜†

There speaks the true fan!๐Ÿ˜‰But I am with Arjun on this.Once you start bending rules, there is only one place you will end, in a ditch. It is so tough to set up a good system, and so easy to wreck it, even if it is out of compassion.

Hope it wasnt too long.Look forward to many more from you.๐Ÿ˜Š

DS

I am sure the above will not be too long for you, so I am not apologising!๐Ÿ˜‰ See you again soon, my dear, I had a ball here!

Shyamala B.Cowsik

Edited by sashashyam - 11 years ago
sashashyam thumbnail
Yes, Tina, it is very harsh at times, and often to those, like poor Praveen, least equipped to stand it. Very, very sad, and unfair too, but as President John F. Kennedy  once said "Who said that life is fair?"

Shyamala Aunty

QUOTE=haruhi26]
well actually you are right, there's no logic to Praveen's death and suicide except to stretch the case a bit, because if he had been caught alive, there would have been no case...
but still his suicide was out of despair, when he saw that he has lost when Arjun came in front of him. I'm not blaming Arjun, since he also didnt know that Praveen would commit suicide, but i felt sad that he had to die in such a way...
First seeing his brilliant daughter pregnant and unmarried, then his grandson's illness, the real father refusing to help, and finally when they got a donor, they dont have any money๐Ÿ˜ญ and have to kidnap and do a hold-up at a bank...
This episode sure shows us how far one can go out of love and to save someone from death
Life sure is harsh at times...

My dear Tina,

Shyamala Aunty

sashashyam thumbnail
My dear Kunchu,

You are very welcome, my dear, and I only wrote what I felt. You have a sensitivity for the sadness of the human condition which is uncommon.

I see it again here when you say "
we may joke on a elder woman who falls for her own daughter's love.. or may discuss for hours on people having extramarital affairs.. but never think about the real circumstances when it might have happened." Only, I would never joke about the mother in the dead stockbroker case; it was sad and dismaying, that is all,  and what really upset me was not her falling for a younger man, which is not a crime, after all, but her not coming forward at once to save her daughter. That was awful.

Moreover, as you would have seen from my post on that episode, if you have read it, I was very critical of Arjun's pompous comments on her actions, completely brushing aside Kalpesh's skullduggery and gold-digging.Typical MCP behaviour.

Shyamala B.Cowsik

Originally posted by: kunchu

hi again!!
thanks for going through my letter.
and yes I have read the material you have posted earlier.. sorry for not posting a reply at that time.. I was new back then and was a silent reader.. but I am now more involved over here.
its good to know that a tv show have given us a chance to speak out our mind about some issues which we usual laugh at on daily basis. we may joke on a elder woman who falls for her own daughter's love.. or may discuss for hours on people having extramarital affairs.. but never think about the real circumstances when it might have happened. 

thinking beyond a boundary line might not be that difficult.. but accepting the hard facts.. or even considering them  is tough...
its true about what you said that once we started thinking its tough to stop our writing. i really get it what you mean by that...
thanks for your comments.. and catching onto one specific line in my letter. it really made my day...I never thought it would happen.. thanks again.. and I mean it by whole heart..
regards
Kunchu๐Ÿ˜ณ