Posted: 11 years ago
I hope I don't get bashed for this but I had to let it out.

Let me start by saying I am new to this forum. This is my first topic, second post on the Qubook Hai Forum. I actually was not going to watch this show because it was a muslim backdrop (chill, I am a muslim too) but Vaquar is in it (BIG FAN)😲  and  the girl who plays Zoya is TOO DAMN PRETTY... Her eyes are  Beautiful and I was drawn by her beauty. I figured alright, i'll watch it over winter breaks. But mujhse raha hi nahi gaya. I was drawn since the first episode and watched all of it before coming on here.

Zoya the character, minus the raaz, is just like mine so far. I can actually relate. I feel the same way about marriage, I'm from the states so even I don't get people from "this country" (except I'm from Pakistan, not that there's a big difference; and i'm not crazy for any sport including cricket. lol)   I was really drawn when I saw her praying numaz. I thought finally, apna culture nazar ayega but NO... she's the only one who ever freakin prayed and that too at her freakin wedding😑

not even the dadi or the taya/mamo prays and their so annoyingly strict! and don't get me started on asad! itni bari bari baatein but no religious bone in his body! but then again, he doesn't talk about islam, he talks about culture so he's excused sort of but what about "mr. jaldbaazi shaiytaan ka kaam hai" whats his excuse, why haven't i seen him pray even once! no azaan and they live in an islamic community from what i understand! and their both so freakin rich and not one aytal kursi hanging in their house! We have so many different prayers around our house and like i said i'm from the states! we aren't even that strict! 

Now don't get me wrong but if the hindu culture is televised so well, then why not the muslim culture?  the sunni/shia/all the rest come in later but what about the basic islamic culture??

I was just frustrated coming on the forum and seeing petition starters for the halala track, in which i've seen in pakistani dramas that it really ticked me off that nobody said anything about this(culture betrayal, if you ask me). 
Hi..

My understanding of the show is that it is about people and their lives.  The fact that they happen to be muslin is not the point.  Everyone leads complicated lives and we are all trying to make sense of it all.  

Some of the shows that deplict religion sometimes go overboard and forget about the story and you have to wonder do people really live like that ?? Not anyone I know.  If the writers have no story it seems like they show a festival and that takes care of a few days worth of writing without any creativity.  No offence to any religion being shown.  Just a statement regarding the creativity.

My expectations of this show are different ...I am expecting more story and character based drama.  So far they have developed all of the charcters really well without sidelining anyone.  So I am expecting more than just an easy way out.  
Edited by Shell16 - 11 years ago
As for Zoya ... I love her characterization it is so different and realistic not just for a girl from the US but of the new generation of girls in India (and neighbouring counties) who stand up for themselves and in urban cities don't necessarily dress traditionally.

Only thing I don't get are her superior language skills and love of cricket.  People brought up outside don't speak Hindi or Urdu that well and we don't get cricket.  Sorry and forget about shiary we don't even know what that is...correct me if I am wrong.
Originally posted by Shell16

As for Zoya ... I love her characterization it is so different and realistic not just for a girl from the US but of the new generation of girls in India (and neighbouring counties) who stand up for themselves and in urban cities don't necessarily dress traditionally.

Only thing I don't get are her superior language skills and love of cricket.  People brought up outside don't speak Hindi or Urdu that well and we don't get cricket.  Sorry and forget about shiary we don't even know what that is...correct me if I am wrong.

nah, my urdu is amazing alright and i've been here since I was 3. my brother is 12 and his urdu is amazing too so language is not a biggy (mom never let us speak english at home.. not even now) . cricket is pretty big with my extended family in toronto but not here... and my shayari sucks but i do enjoy it. i guess its where.how you're raised.

i know i'm not focusing on the religious aspect, at least i'm trying not to but I just feel that in other soaps, hindu is not the main concept yet they show it so why not with islam.. But i guess its everyone's point of view.

Heyyy
Firstly both Asad and Ayan went to pray on the very second episode, and saying that they dont show any character pray is lil lame dony you think? Its like saying they have shown Asad eating only once, does that mean he really doesnot eat? LOL
so i dont its necessary to show everything.
They just have 20 mins in one epi so i dont think its possible or evrn necessary in that matter to show praying.
Its just a show like any other indian soap where there is hardly any reality, so treat this as same i guess :)Edited by -MidnightSky- - 11 years ago
Hey..for ur post I didn't really understand why r u even upset abt the fact that they don't show them praying.. I understand that u do want to see that As its a important part of the religion to be played so it comes across but shows are not about praying only.. I'm not being offensive or anything and don't get me wrong as well but even in Hindu show they don't show the characters doing Pooja everyday.. It's always there at certain occasion or when something big is going to happen at the worship place..! Yes they have lil Mandir in the house but honestly tell me how many times do they show the characters doing Pooja everyday..!

This show is based on Muslim background ur as it is a show.. It has a story, drama, comedy, it can't be particularly all about showing the characters to pray just because they r playing the character of a Muslim..! 

Lastly I completely agree with for Surbhi.. Her eyes are really pretty fact she herself  is very pretty :)

Also I'm not bashing or being offensive I'm only stating my point of view..! 
Originally posted by -MidnightSky-

Heyyy
Firstly both Asad and Ayan went to pray on the very second episode, and saying that they dont show any character pray is lil lame dony you think? Its like saying they have shown Asad eating only once, does that mean he really doesnot eat? LOL
They just have 20 mins in one epi so i dont think its possible or evrn necessary in that matter to show praying.
Its just a show like any other indian soap where there is hardly any reality, so treat this as same i guess :)

i've seen asad eat in almost every epi.. i know he's fed well and he, like a lotta men i know, can't move a finger and has to have mommy/sister do it for him! πŸ˜†

I'm not saying show the whole prayer.. how about mention it  or not even that but like the decor of the house can show some prayer or something! for heaven sakes even a slight image of the kabah would make me  happy at this point!         

and i know its a soap but in every soap where they show hindu culture, they keep portraying the idols and the thaali's and diyas and all that  so why not show some symbolism!   but you're right, they did show asad and ayan pray in the second epi. i forgot to count that but I don't even hold anything against the boys as much as their parents and grandparents.. well, dadi and ayaan's muh bola mamo/taya abu  especially! ALLAH se maafi mang, itna bhara gunna kiya hai doosri shaadi karva ke! [there are rules for that] or did they get a divorce, cuz i don't remember anything on that ?
Originally posted by brainychild92

nah, my urdu is amazing alright and i've been here since I was 3. my brother is 12 and his urdu is amazing too so language is not a biggy (mom never let us speak english at home.. not even now) . cricket is pretty big with my extended family in toronto but not here... and my shayari sucks but i do enjoy it. i guess its where.how you're raised.

i know i'm not focusing on the religious aspect, at least i'm trying not to but I just feel that in other soaps, hindu is not the main concept yet they show it so why not with islam.. But i guess its everyone's point of view.

Wow...congratulations to your mother then...

I understand what you're saying.  My soap watching is relatively new so the religious stuff was very educational and I get what you're saying you want it to be perfect.  Give it time this show has potential.   As the concept is new the writers are testing the waters.  Once the popularity increases and the audience accept this type of show there will be others. 
Hey Brainy...nice to see you on this forum...πŸ˜›

I get what you are saying...about the lack of ayats hanging around the house and the prayers and religious stuff...And yes I agree the other dramas with families from other religious backgrounds do show them worshipping more...but I don't think we are missing out too much in QH.

If you think about it...Islam is more private and one on one between worshipper and God...Our prayers unless the men go to the mosque...are performed individually and we only have 2 festivals in the year...Eid-ul-fitr and Eid-ul-Adha.  It'll be nice to see these celebrated on the screen when the occassion arises.

The drama on the whole though does depict an average muslim familiy's life and values quite well.  I mean you do see Zoya praying to Allah for guidance before her Nikkah.  And you do see Asad meeting up with Ayaan at a mizaar for solace.  I'm sure other religious obsevances will be shown as needed...but perhaps the CVs don't want to make religion the primary focus.   

I haven't seen more than an episode or 2 of Pakistani dramas...but from what I've seen...you don't see the characters offering their 5 daily prayers...but you assume that they do...because that's not what the drama is about...Am I making any sense? πŸ˜†
ur frustration is baseless
i think they r potraying islam very well...

gul herself is muslim so i think she is doing is very well...

u need to calm urself down...

chill nd enjoy the show if u love it then...