Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-SalShah4eva- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 11 years ago
My reviews for the movie:)

Movie starts with Yashji pic and his words which he mentioned in his birthday interview😊
Then SRK came there in the bike omg How hot he was looking
Everybody in the theater was whistling & was yeyyy SRK😆 
I tell you he looked the best in the uniform. I cannot describe how good he looked☺️

Not going to mention anything about the plot do not want to spoil it for others.😳

I am sorry but I did not liked the first half of the movie. I thought everyone was loving it but I couldn't it I loved the movie after Intermission. It was not slow neither boring don't what people makes think that. 
In the first half I liked the story after both were in love and how the movie spread away.
And there were some good parts and funny too. I liked that dialog "Done, Done London" 🤣

Coming to anushka, when the movie start it was okay she did over act in the begining but after intermission she was too adorable😳
Loved her scenes with SRK and it was cute. And those army officers and akira scenes😆
Too adorable. She was in love with Samar Anand and calls him "sexy" and talks about how she wants to do sex🤣
There were only like 2 or 3 scene where she over acted that was in the beginning of the movie but after that she was awesome. She was cutiepie😊

Yes, SRK kissed Kat but I won't call that Kiss🤣 
But I am really disappointed with SRK why did he broke his rules. I am just thinking he refused to kiss in OSO isn't this unfair now😕
Their first kiss was needed but did not get it other ones😆
Omg that few sec sex in the saans song OMG😆

Coming back to Kat, the surprise pack of the movie was Katerina Kalf😲
First of all she looked so beautiful in all of her dresses and Indian clothes she wore too😊
Regarding her acting wow she improved so much👏 i am going to be honest there were only 2 or 3 scenes I thought she can be good @ it but its alright in other scenes she was good. I wont say wow she was perfect but deff improved and gave expression too and I mean it. Now people don't say it she doesnt know how to act
Thank god Kat surprised me with her this movie and till date this is best performance so far😳 Kat played her Meera role very well👍🏼 I would like to see her and SRK more movie woh bhi in a romantic movie😃

Not going to say anything about SRK because he was amazing in samar anad role the one with the beard. He little bit reminds me of Kabir Khan from CDI😆
Amit ji said after swades this was her best performance I can say hmm kinda but he was good in SA 😊

All three were good in their roles and yash ji choose right actors for Meera, Samar and akira role. Now I cannot imagine somebody else played by Samar Anand, Meera and akira😳

But overall, it was good movie and there were some beautiful moments. I especially, enjoyed the Ladak one more😛

If People are expecting this movie to be like Veer Zaara or another Yash ji then u guys are wrong. This movie is totally different than VZ and other Yash ji so don't expect anything.

There were 3 or 4 moments i got teary eyes did not cried I was about to but did not. And i really felt it scene between anu and SRK @ the airport😳
Everybody thought SRK would😆 but nothing happned like that
& aditi and every1 that person posted spoiler it was nothing like that😡
Jhoote log😡

All due to respect Yash ji. I enjoyed the movie and some of the parts were good and I dont think now we will see movie like this..
Yash ji Thank you so much🤗
RIP

I will give 3.5 out of 5 because my expectation were very high and it was below my expectation. Sorry, I have to be honest here😳

EDIT: Everyone has different opinion and different taste. So, this was mine😳
Hazardous thumbnail
To be honest I do classify this movie as a sad film. At the end I did not feel light at all. My heart was heavy.
WOW Glamsham the harsh site, gave it 4 stars YAY

Movies

Jab Tak Hai Jaan Movie Review

The lover boy is back!

Jab Tak Hai Jaan
Director : Yash Chopra
Music : A.R.Rahman
Lyrics : Gulzar and Aditya Chopra
Starring : Shah Rukh Khan, Katrina Kaif and Anushka Sharma

November 13, 2012 07:33:17 PM IST
By Martin D'Souza, Glamsham Editorial
Send to Friend

The late Yash Chopra is known for grandeur and an eye for detail. His last outing behind the camera is lavish on both counts. The splendor of Ladakh and London is captured beautifully - the detailing of scenes is impeccable. The late director infuses romance into every situation; capturing the mood of even the flowers in the vases! Every scene has a connotation to the ones preceding or the ones gone by. Only the length is a bit tiring as he labours to bring the love story to its ultimate end. 

However, Yashji had a brilliant opportunity to stun the audience in the last scene as Major Samar (Shah Rukh Khan) goes about diffusing his last bomb. A change in the fate of this situation would, to my mind, have catapulted this film from a simple love story to an unforgettable one. 

view JAB TAK HAI JAAN videos

Major Samar heads the Bomb Diffusing Squad in the Indian Army. He has diffused 98 bombs so far, all without a protective gear. We soon learn that there is a method to this madness of his. At every turn, he is embracing death, challenging the one above, because the love of his life Meera (Katrina Kaif) has decided to stay away from him so that he lives a long life. 

The story begins with Samar diffusing one such bomb and then rushing into the cold waters of Leh to save another! This one is Akira (Anushka Sharma). Without so much as a backward glance, Samar moves off on his bike after rescuing Akira and putting on his jacket on her. Akira chances upon his personal diary in which Samar has penned his love story. 

JAB TAK HAI JAAN then moves to London where Samar is making ends meet juggling between three jobs. He runs into Meera when he is cleaning the front of a Church. 

The establishing of Samar and Meera and the blossoming of their love story is quick and to the point. The late director does not waste time in getting Samar make his feelings known to Meera and Meera recipocrating. 

But here is when the twist in the tale appears. Meera is all set to break off her engagement to her childhood friend, when things go wrong for them.

Samar is forced to return to India. In retaliation, he joins the Indian Army and embraces death at every given opportunity. 

Akira, a student learning the ropes of television journalism, who he had saved, gets to spend two weeks with his camp and here is when she does a Samar on him. Meaning: she expresses her love for him just as Samar had done with Meera at a London station - at a time least expected. But for Samar, there cannot be another Meera. 

Akira's documentary on Samar gets her a ticket to Discovery Channel, but for that she has to get Samar to London. He agrees after first refusing. Once in London, things go wrong for Samar again. 

Meera's help has to be sought as Akira goes in search of her. It's 10 years now since he last met Meera. What would the situation be like? 

The styling of the film is super. No efforts are lacking in making it look and feel grand. The Music By A R Rahman, though not ranking among his best, does get you grooving. The choreography is splendid, especially the dance track where Meera lets her hair down with Samar. Awesome. 

Shah Rukh Khan is back to his basic form - that of a lover boy. He essays his character effortlessly; carrying the weight of someone who can be dumped with bravado and then brooding over his lost love with aplomb. He balances the shift in roles with ease and even handles the advances of an enthusiastic and optimistic Akira with maturity. 

Katrina Kaif is fabulous. Her transformation from a rich girl trapped in a fancy world who gets to let her hair down is fantastic. She carries off the farce while exposing who she really is on the inside is very emotional. 

Yash Chopra had mentioned that this would be the last film he would direct. He has left a lasting impression with this one. 

Will it be curtains now for grand romances? Only time will tell. 

But for now, relish JAB TAK HAI JAAN! 

PS: There is one huge flaw in the script that sends the film nose-diving. Akira making a mention of Meera to Samar in the most serious of situations. This, too, when their relationship has not yet been established. To the director's credit, he quickly submerges the flaw. But still, it does stick out like a sore thumb. 

Anushka Sharma's character too is forced. Probably, if her character was done away with, the film would have been crisper. 

Rating: 4.0
http://www.glamsham.com/movies/reviews/jab-tak-hai-jaan-movie-review-111202.asp
-SalShah4eva- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Raiinie2

🤗🤗 Seems like its only us two, who feels this way. Hmmm.. waiting to read other IF members review. 

u guys can include me too..I only liked the movie after intermission 
I liked the movie  but nothing extra ordinary 😳
I will post my review here too:

Ok I went to the cinema with some of my family members and the cinema hall was completely houseful. Never witnessed such a energy full audience. Everyone had a fantastic time.

Now back to the movie.

It starts with Yash Chopra's voice in the background and a picture of him. After that we see SRK and everyone in the cinema goes crazy. The movie begins with him in Ladakh. I HAVE TO GO TO LADAKH AFTER SEEING THIS MOVIE, SO BEAUTIFUL PLACE WOW <3

SRK looks the best in uniform no one looks as hot and perfect as him in uniform WOW. we see him there as a bomb expert and he is so convincing in that. His passion for acting is amazing and very admirable. Then Anushka comes and I liked her in this part of the movie but after the London portion is done and we go back to kashmir then from that point and till end I didn't like anushka's character. It was from thne on exactly like her other characters and at some points she overreacted but it wasn't a bad performance. She was fine, just nothing new.

So when anushka gets the book then we get to know about srk and katrina's love story. OMG the story is just so fantastic and beautiful, it kept me on the edge of my seat through out. The first scene of srk and katrina starts from the snow place where kat goes to the church. She was so fantastic in that church scene wow and her hindi has become so good. This is Katrina's most natural performances ever, she is so graceful in the movie. And she is the classic yash chopra heroine, she completely does justice to the yash chopra heroine. From start to end you will see katrina only as yash chopra heroine. This was her thoughest role ever, and for the first time she did amazingly well with the emotional scenes. I loved how the girls in this movie was even realistic with the emotional scenes, there is no crying out loud for 10 minutes or screaming etc. its very simple and natural emotions. I really loved that. Katrina was perfect as Meera, no one could have played the role so perfectly. My favorite scenes of her was the church scenes, the train scene with srk, the scenes with neetu and the climax scene. After this movie people will indeed say that she has proved she is a great actor. Not just the acting but also the dancing was beyond impressive. Watch out for ishq dance and ishq shava, katrina kaif is the best dancer in bollywood. The ishq dance portion gave me goose bumps. Especially the solo stuff of her and the ending where she does a chartwheel on srk's back and gets up on his shoulders and does that beautifully pose WOW. Also she looked the best in this movie, so beautiful and elegant. I am so proud of her.

SRK was also amazing. He is the king of romance. He did amazingly well through out. And even in this age he looked so hot and amazing. The army look was perfect and also the london portions he looked amazing there too. After this movie he became my most favorite actor. I loved how intense he was during the bomb stuff, and he was so passionately in love with katrina. His eyes did say so much and his voice is just wow.

And srk and katrina's chemistry is beyond words. I am a die hard rankat fan but I have to admit that katrina's best chemistry till date is with srk. They looked heavenly together and they complement each other so well. Their chemistry was so sizzling hot in the first portion of the london portion it was so sexy. In the 2nd half they really looked like a married couple so magical. Ahh I hope they do more movie. It's not just katrina's best pairing but also srks I would say, for the first time he makes a sexy and hot pair with an actress and yet they also look elegant and cute together.

On the whole all 3 characters were amazing and you will forget the actors and only see the characters.

Also loved the cameos of anupam kher, neetu singh and rishi ji.

The cinematography is admirable, the music is amazing, the locations are very impressive, the dialogues are touching and the story is the best.

This movie is very simple, everything you will see is very natural, you won't see any loud drama or loud emotions, no one is screaming/crying etc. in fact even when they cry then they only have small tears in eyes it's very simple and natural I really loved that.

The story is so our generation. Yashji has really captured our generation so well. The contrasts in the movie is just amazing: believers in religion vs. non believers in religion, idealism vs. realism, love vs. responsibilities, commitments etc.

The movie has repeat value and I am going to watch it again tomorrow. It's the best movie I have ever seen. Katrina Kaif is the surprise package for me because it's her best performance in her career till date, she for the first time did so well with the emotions and was so natural really loved it. SRK like always is perfect in romance. Ishq shava and Saans so so so beautiful. Story amazing.

The best movie I have ever seen.

I will give it 5 out of 5.

THANK YOU YASHJI FOR THIS LOVELY MOVIE. I will always cherish it.

Jab Tak Hai Jaan: Yash Chopra's immortal love story

By Gaurav Malani, TNN | Nov 13, 2012, 04.39 PM IST
READ MORE Yash Chopra|Rishi Kapoor|Neetu Singh|Katrina Kaif|Cupid
Jab Tak Hai Jaan: Yash Chopra's immortal love story
Jab Tak Hai Jaan More Pics
Director: Yash Chopra
Cast: Shah Rukh Khan, Katrina Kaif, Anushka Sharma

In contemporary times when, love stories have more or less turned into instant make out and instant breakup escapades and in a generation where sex comes before love, it's heartening to see a full-blown romance saga which has good old values and yet a very modern outlook. Like most love stories, even Jab Tak Hai Jaan has sacrifice and sanctity at its footing yet at no point is it depressing or disheartening. And thereby, the immortal filmmaker Yash Chopra celebrates the true spirit of life.

Shah Rukh Khan continues his cinematic legacy of wooing girls who are already engaged to someone else. So Samar Anand (SRK), a smalltime labour in London and Meera (Katrina Kaif), a millionaire fall for each other. And just when everything seems to be going hunky-dory, a mishap separates the star-crossed lovers, with each longing for the other. Years later, a documentary filmmaker Akira (Anushka Sharma) meets Samar, now a bomb-squad officer in Kashmir. And when Samar comes to London for Akira's film, another fortuity changes his life drastically.

The film starts in a regular romance zone where the lover-boy goes guitar-strumming on London streets, the girl seems confused about her engagement, they cross paths, he teaches her to live life to the fullest, she says she had the best time of life with him andCupid strikes. So far so trite! But the actual story initiates thereafter with faith for God coming into picture and changing the fate of humans. That forms the core-conflict of the film and Yash Chopra brings out the dilemma in the lead pair convincingly enough for you to feel for both and yet not blame either for their outlook.

Aditya Chopra and Devika Bhagat come up with an impeccable screenplay that is well-etched to arrive at a strong interval point and is consistent enough to not lose steam till the very end. With Samar's return to London in the second half, things could have taken a convenient route by unswervingly bringing the ill-fated couple together in some way. But with its layered writing, the narrative takes a different twist altogether. Thereby, like a rich wine, the story takes its time to mature but only gets better over period. At times, the multidimensional narrative might seem spread out but it never wanders aimlessly.

Structurally, the film reminds of Yash Chopra's earlier venture Veer-Zaara where the lead couple is separated by circumstances and another woman is instrumental in bringing them together. Thankfully the inclination to induce a love triangle here isn't taken too far either. When it comes to a love story, Yash Chopra weaves such magic that a mere hug causes more applause than a mass-appealing heroic entry. While the love story is essentially desi at heart, the filmmaker has shown advancement with times in making the chemistry between the lead couple sexier and scrumptious. Shah Rukh Khan and Katrina Kaif are simply sizzling!

At the same time the film also has a very progressive point of view. It strongly endorses to have faith in love over fear of God. It puts love before the Lord. The conflict that separates the lovers is so potently plotted initially that there seems to be no antidote to it in the screenplay. Aditya Chopra's well-worded dialogues come to the rescue and make things easier. Also through the sensitive Rishi Kapoor - Neetu Singh cameo, the film spreads the message to set love free. Appreciatively the Kashmir army milieu is only employed for a bomb-diffusing backdrop and not exploited beyond necessary.

Technically the film, like any Yash Raj production, is proficient. Anil Mehta's cinematography is strikingly beautiful. While we have seen enough of lovely London landscapes on Indian screen, it's the pristine Kashmir that catches your eye here. A.R. Rahman's music is pleasing and, like always, takes time to grow on you. In an era of shorthand cinema, the three-hour runtime does seem long enough. But the film's full-scale romance justifies it to an extent.

Shah Rukh Khan is in absolute comfort zone and the audience is as much comfortable in accepting him as the romance king. With a constant smirk on his face, he is charming and more persuasive than his recent wannabe escapades. Yash Chopra gives back the SRK that he had introduced to cinema. Katrina Kaif is not only sexy and stunning but also comes across as a pleasant and convincing actress. She glides effortlessly through her character and scorches the screen with Shah Rukh. Anushka Sharma as the bindaas girl gets kinda over-expressive at times but otherwise has good screen presence. Rishi Kapoor and Neetu Singh appear in graceful cameos. 

Jab Tak Hai Jaan is a sublime story about love and life. They don't make them like that anymore. Yash Chopra will live forever...

Verdict: Very Good
you2 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6
you2 thumbnail

Film review | Jab Tak Hain Jaan

An overstretched, archaic romance. Shah Rukh Khan is its minor saving grace
Sanjukta Sharma

This birth, next birth. This generation, that generation. That god, this god. Empty, rhetorical conversations with god, garbed as life-affirming faith. Yash Chopra's Jab Tak Hain Jaan has archaic ideas about love and existence, mostly concocted in its regressive characters' heads. Unrequited love hopes for consummation in the next birth. The leading lady is a fatalistic believer in religion and self-denial. For a film spanning three hours, these antics, propelled by passionate love, are sore and laughable. The story of Jab Tak Hain Jaan, written by Aditya Chopra, isn't much of a story—just a patchwork of tried-and-tested situations, revealing any of which will be to kill your thrill of guessing the next predictable turn of events.
The best of talent come together in Yash Chopra's swan song. Gulzar's lyrics, A.R. Rahman's music, Anil Mehta's cinematography, and Hindi cinema's reigning romantic matinee idol Shah Rukh Khan. Chopra has translated romance on to screen lyrically, and there are some of those trademark flourishes—realized in some beautiful scenes—in this tepid and outdated story whose only template is Chopra's earlier films. There is no surprising dimension or nuance to a love story that involves a struggling young Londoner, an odd jobs man who can charm the pants off people with his broken English, who, due to a preposterous twist of fate, becomes an expert in the bomb diffusion squad of the Indian Army (Samar Anand, played by Khan). The wealthy object of affection, with a traumatic childhood, is regressive and unable to take her life in her own hands (Meera, played by Katrina Kaif). The third in a triangle is a 21-year-old documentary film-maker who is wooing the Discovery Channel head honchos with a film on the lover boy who is now the soldier with a tough exterior (Akira, played by Anushka Sharma). Wish fulfilment, really, but not in this film.

There is a crucial hole in the basic template, which Chopra made his own in his long career—poetic, rhapsodic music that beautifies his scenes, even his characters. Rahman's music dilly-dallies along the formulaic and the original; there are flashes of genius in the way he uses voice, but overall the music is remarkably ineffective. Mehta's cinematography—the way he and the director use the locations, London and Ladakh—have the stamp of seasoned hands. Some of the dialogues are memorable.
Towards the end, when the plot is very obviously done with its meanderings, and things head towards a climax, an insufferable number of scenes go into bizarre lovers' exchanges. Fervent sighs and tears encumber these lengthy scenes. Khan's histrionics become tiresome and his familiar weaknesses as an actor are pronounced, overshadowing the spunk and magnetism his persona lends to the role—his reputation as a romantic hero, firmly and unmistakably in a tradition which Dilip Kumar and Dev Anand steered, is intact.
Katrina Kaif is porcelain—cold and without texture. In the best scenes, she is an apparition in white. Anushka Sharma is bundle of nervous energy. No surprises there either, except in the moony scheme of things, she is a vibrant, if not an entirely realistic punctuator.
For Yash Chopra, cinema was about big locations, stars, billowing pallus. He loved the film camera. In his best films, these elements cohered, and added up to a vision. It may have been an idealized vision of love, which Hindi films have always celebrated, and with which Chopra's work almost institutionalized. Jab Tak Hain Jaan is far from the best in that tradition. It is strikingly out of tune with the age, and real emotions. Even seen as a film about extreme characters, there is no originality in the story or its treatment to make it timeless.
Jab Tak Hain Jaan released in theatres on Tuesday.
you2 thumbnail

Film Reviews

The Last Love Letter

Karan Anshuman

Posted On Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 12:00:12 AM

First off, let me say this: Yash Chopra was one of Indian cinema's finest. Ranging from the path breaking Deewaar to Lamhe that was well ahead of its time, from the thrilling Ittefaq to the sensitive Veer Zaara, he has left behind a body of work that will serve as the standard representing the decades he worked in. He was the rare filmmaker who moved with the times, refusing to cling to obsolete ideas unlike his contemporaries; disallowing the years to dictate his will and spirit.

You'll see a lot of Chopra in Jab Tak Hai Jaan. He and his writer, son Aditya borrow from their own work generously but seek to keep it contemporary. Take the way the protagonists deal with the God-as-a-character motif ever present in their films. They still stalk ever-empty churches in foreign locales but the patron NRI saint is now referred to as Sir Jesus and the banter irreverent and tearfree.

The leading man and ladies are less prudish than usual (a pole dance in a train? Nice!); even though SRK will always win them over with his charm no matter how much in love or engaged with another man they are (ref: DDLJ, DPTH, VZ, etc.) And finally, the first admission of love now comes in an offhanded, almost casual manner in places you'd never expect: an underground station in London, in the army barracks in Kashmir.

So here SRK sweeps a Rolls Royceriding Katrina Kaif off her feet with his guitar strumming and singing lessons.

In one of the best scenes in the movie, her character Meera lets go of her inhibitions in a surreal underground/graffiti tunnel setting. It's unsettling in a good way; exactly what the makers intended. Of course, a wholly unnecessary song instantly follows this. Oh how the songs bloat the narrative. Halve the number, and JTHJ would've stood its ground.

Meera also loves trading her vices in exchange for favours from Jesus.

And she goes on to make a deal she should've with the devil. She promises (to that figment of her imagination) that she will never see the love of her life again. Cue the Ladakh/army stuff, another girl, a series of repetitive, convenient plot devices derived from sources close to home. That the actors - especially Khan - rise above the writing, is credit to them.

That the whole film hinges on a second-grade-type "god promise" is the old wine here. Not helping matters is the length of almost three hours, two accidents in critical moments, a Karz-type track, tons of lessons in dialogue alone, "nazook mental states", talk of not "crossing the line" physically when the heart has leap-frogged past the finish... The writers have ample opportunities to take a risk, to push the characters into a corner from where they have no outs; but they squander these away and opt instead for fluff and the ordinary. Broad strokes define Jab Tak Hai Jaan. The details are amiss and it doesn't quite come together.

Khan will elicit collective sighs that can spook a population every time he appears with his stubble and army uniform, his clean-shaven, mussed-up hair version in the first half of a flashback is a return to form of sorts and he reminds you of the vintage, impish SRK of yore when he won hearts by bouncing about and charming ladies, old and young alike.

Anushka and Katrina are quickly getting slotted into type: 'bubbly' and 'NRI' respectively.

Yash Chopra's last film, Jab Tak Hai Jaan may not be his finest, but even here we are treated to his willingness to tinker and update his own previous work and beliefs in the telling of his concluding romance. And despite the calculated scripting to evince emotion, the real tears flow when you see him at work in the tribute accompanying the end credit titles. Jab Tak Hai Jaan indeed. Thank you for the entertainment, Mr Chopra.

Filmfare writer wrote:

Vivek Bhatia ?@vivekbbhatia

Me thinks Katrina Kaif looks the best with @iamsrk. With Salman, not so much. Guess she's realised it too hence the 'big brother' comment.